8,000 Mile Maintenance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrats84

Reaction score
I've been hit pretty hard with the snow this winter and am just getting that itch to get the bike out on the road again (we got another 7inched today). I have an '06 with only 8,000 miles on it... I know, I need to get her out more, but I just finished grad school and bought a house. And oh yeah got married all in the same year. I have changed the oil and rear gear drive oil after every season. I also replaced the tires at the beginning of last season with PR2's (love em). But my question is this- This bike needs to last me, so I would like to really have it tuned up and fluids changed. When I bring it to the dealer, what should I specifically ask them to do? I don't want them doing things that you all know don't need to be done at 8K miles.

-Thanks

The link above is a good schedule, but since you have a low mileage older bike (like mine), I would recommend changing the brake and clutch fluids now. Getting a full service manual will help you understand the maintenance, decide what you want to do yourself, and will save you money. Its a good investment, even if you are not a "wrench".

The bike I just purchases is a 2006 with about 8K miles on it as well. Based on what I have seen as I have worked on the bike during the winter months, I would second changing the brake and clutch fluids. There was some really nasty crap in the clutch reservoir.

Otherwise, regularly scheduled maintenance as noted above, and get out and ride the thing.

I would add a fork fluid flush and change. At 8000 miles the fluid is nasty; a gray slurry of metallic debris leftover from break-in.

I would add a fork fluid flush and change. At 8000 miles the fluid is nasty; a gray slurry of metallic debris leftover from break-in.
+1. I forgot about that. I changed the oil in the forks on the bike I now have that has the same mileage +/-, and I was amazed at how nasty it was.