80-90 GL-5 OK for final drive?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
I have a bunch of leftover quarts of 80-90 GL-5 gear oil, from when it was on sale and I rode a BMW. I've been using it in my FJR for the last 40K miles. It just struck me that this might not be the exact spec of gear oil for the FJR. Is my FD now going to suffer Acquired Imploding Drive Syndrome? Like, is this contagious? I mean, the bottles are even BMW brand!

I have a bunch of leftover quarts of 80-90 GL-5 gear oil, from when it was on sale and I rode a BMW. I've been using it in my FJR for the last 40K miles. It just struck me that this might not be the exact spec of gear oil for the FJR. Is my FD now going to suffer Acquired Imploding Drive Syndrome? Like, is this contagious? I mean, the bottles are even BMW brand!

The bike will be fine but you balls will fall off. :rolleyes: Overnight it to me and I will take it to the BMW rally this weekend.

You bring up a couple of interesting points. When it came time to change the final drive oil in my '07 FJR I headed to the #1 Yamaha dealer in Tulsa prepared to pay the big bucks$$$ for the Yamaha stuff. The dealer handed me a quart of Bel-ray 85W140 and said that is what they use in all of the final drives they service. I use BMW 75W140 synthetic in my old K bike but I have decided to switch to Bel-ray for both. The BMW dealer recommended the 75W140 syn. vs. the 80W90 as the general opinion was that it reduced drive train noise on long, hot rides. I change final drive oil every 8K and motor oil and filter every 4K on all my scooters.

Okie

You bring up a couple of interesting points. ...The dealer handed me a quart of Bel-ray 85W140 and said that is what they use in all of the final drives they service. I use BMW 75W140 synthetic in my old K bike but I have decided to switch to Bel-ray for both.

The BMW dealer recommended the 75W140 syn. vs. the 80W90 as the general opinion was that it reduced drive train noise
The final drive makes noise back there...? :unsure:

News to me -- I'll have to listen for it... :eek:

The bike will be fine but you balls will fall off. :rolleyes:
Very nice catch Ray! Might add that they may even catch fire :blink:

:jester:

QUOTE (Heng22 @ Jul 19 2010, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to share, me been using Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 and it runs well.

koolaid5b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You bring up a couple of interesting points. The (Yamaha) dealer handed me a quart of Bel-ray 85W140

I use BMW 75W140

The BMW dealer recommended the 75W140 ... vs. ... 80W90 ...general opinion ...it reduced drive train noise on long, hot rides.
As all-y'all know, MamaYama only reccos part # 9079E-SH001-00 as lube for the final drive of the FJR. Until someone (at least) checks that lube for viscosity -- we won't know a comparable other final drive lube.

As a general rule, heavier/thicker lubes run hotter. SAE 75W gear-lubes compare (viscosity-wise) with 10W/15W motor oils. SAE 140 gear-lubes compare (viscosity-wise) with, something-like, 60 to 70 motor oils. 80W-90 would be like 20W-40 motor oil (viscosity-wise).

It's the EP (extreme pressure) additive package in hypoid gear-lube that's the critical component.

All that those '140' promoters may be doing -- is insuring that the rear-drives will run hotter than designed (and..., just asking for trouble...? :huh: )? :unsure: