82 GSsuzuki LZ

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinibob

Reaction score
Picked up a 82 zuki 850 for the wife to start on.

She took the msf class last year "I did also just so I could ride the little bikes hehehe any body who knows me can imagine me on a Honda 250 dragging pegs around the little box."

Now the question I have is that this bike has a little lifter noise on startup no biggie.

I need to change the oil and SAE 10w/40 is recommended but is there a better choice?

Also this has a secondary bevel gear galley that takes SAE 90 and then the shaft drive that also takes SAE 90.

This old dog is in good shape and i want it to last her till she gets ready for an updated bike. So what are your thoughts on changing to synthetic oil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some would say it's a waste to use synthetic,....I think it's personal preference....as in whatever your comfortable with & works for you,....but if it's not burning oil, why not....just my opinion though....my opinion & $1.25 will buy you a cup of coffee :rolleyes: .....

I have worked on many of these lovely machines and you would do well to use a synthetic such as , AMSOIL 10/40 or 20/50 in the engine and their 80/90 gear oil in the rear end. This bike has a ballbearing crank and plain bearings on the upper end . Also if you change fork oil use the 10/40 AMSOIL in the front end and you will be amazed. The 850 was one of their best bikes during that era. Good luck and many happy miles. One area to check is the charging system on that model the the 750 /850/1000 were susptable to stator and regulator failure if run with weak batteries. If you find your system is less than up to spects replace the stator and regulator as a pair.

... One area to check is the charging system on that model the the 750 /850/1000 were susptable to stator and regulator failure if run with weak batteries. If you find your system is less than up to spects replace the stator and regulator as a pair.
GUNNY!

Having had 83' GS750E's and an 83' GS1100E when (not if) the charging system goes out DO NOT replace with OEM!

... One area to check is the charging system on that model the the 750 /850/1000 were susptable to stator and regulator failure if run with weak batteries. If you find your system is less than up to spects replace the stator and regulator as a pair.
GUNNY!

Having had 83' GS750E's and an 83' GS1100E when (not if) the charging system goes out DO NOT replace with OEM!
Got it the only problem I am having now is no blinkers the relay is most likely rusty from sitting