'87 Rebel 450 for new rider?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsher

Reaction score
My neighbor is selling '87 Rebel 450 (mint condition) with only 5k miles. Deliberating between '06 250 Virago and this 20 yr old Rebel for a short friend. Rebel was tuned w/new tires etc 2 yrs ago but sitting since then. Battery's dead and not sure it's running.

Money aside, don't know much abt the Rebel and would appreciate some input in the decision. Seat ht is low on both. I assume Rebel is heavier and more stable at highway speeds. Is the Rebel as "nimble" as the Virago (which is a hoot to ride)? Is it a reasonably "quick bike" for a 450? Reliable? Known issues? My thought is the Rebel might obviate moving from a 250 to a 500 in a yr or two. After Rebel next bike would probably be a 750.

Thanks for your comments!

George

My neighbor is selling '87 Rebel 450 (mint condition) with only 5k miles. Deliberating between '06 250 Virago and this 20 yr old Rebel for a short friend. Rebel was tuned w/new tires etc 2 yrs ago but sitting since then. Battery's dead and not sure it's running. Money aside, don't know much abt the Rebel and would appreciate some input in the decision. Seat ht is low on both. I assume Rebel is heavier and more stable at highway speeds. Is the Rebel as "nimble" as the Virago (which is a hoot to ride)? Is it a reasonably "quick bike" for a 450? Reliable? Known issues? My thought is the Rebel might obviate moving from a 250 to a 500 in a yr or two. After Rebel next bike would probably be a 750.

Thanks for your comments!

George
The 450 Honda Rebel was my first bike when I returned to riding. What a nice bike. I loved it..Real low seat hight for the short guys/gals and a blast to ride. Never had a bit of trouble with it.