9 months - done farkling (I think) the '09 AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajay423

Reaction score
The list:

Cal Sci screen

Yamaha sliders (from Canadian Dealer)

Yamaha tank bag (from Canadian Dealer)

MV Motorrad Handlebar plate riser

Mirror extenders (Twisted Throttle)

Barkbuster handguards (Twisted Throttle)

Suspension Redo - Penske rear, re-worked fork cartridge (Mike Faillace, Metric Devil Moto - Horsham, PA)

Original Grip Buddies - Super Sharkskins

Russell Daylong seat

The result:

WOW

I wasn't sure if if this bike would be a keeper - not a european twin (former effete rider), no left foot needed electronic clutch, very heavy - but, priced right, very low mileage, well cared for and available to purchase after all my bikes were lost in a fire. I quickly grew to love the AE - the secret was to use index fnger to shift up and down, instead of using thumb for downshifts (l read about this on this forum!). What a pleasure in traffic, and so quick shifting at other times. It did take a bit to get used to, i no longer need to simulate clutch slipping with rear brake/slight throttle application - now, I can feel the throttle engagement point. Interesting, I was in Germany this past September and saw a few AEs there, still sold in Europe. Anyway, once I got over the "I like to shift" attitude and realized how much I liked this set-up, I decided to dial in MY new bike.

The mirror extenders really work, I can actually use the mirrors for something other than checking out my arms and shoulders! The MV risers and Russell seat dialed in the fit, and the latest Grip Buddies seems to have cured my quick-to-numb right hand. Barkbusters have stopped the cold back of the hands - I may even keep these on in the summer to stop hot air flow. Cal Sci screen has ended the helmet boom, and works pretty well. The Canadian purchased Yamaha Tank Bag is a great fitting, high quality, reasonably priced piece of kit. The Yamaha sliders were more expensive than the more popular USA sourced ones, but I felt more comfortable with the attachment method being Yamaha engineered/approved (probably not a big deal though). Bike is now real comfortable.

. . . and in its own paragraph, the suspension work by Mike Faillace, Metric Devil Moto. More like Metric Moto Magic. I thought the stock set-up was pretty good after I made the adjustments recommended by others on this forum, and the bike was pretty new - about 2,000 miles, yet I wanted more from the suspension. My goal was more precise handling, and I wanted bump compliance for our terrible Philadelphia area roads. Mike is a wizard. After spending time with me in order to understand how I ride, what I have liked in previous bikes, etc, and then asking questions about my size, weight, etc, he then inspected my bike quite thoroughly. He was confident that he could make a big difference - and he did. He ordered a Penske shock to his specs, and totally reworked the forks. My bike now goes faster, brakes quicker, and impresses me with how much I improved my riding skills, and did so overnight!! I think I was pretty lucky to find a suspension expert within 30 miles of my home.

To be a little sappy: I want to thank the forum administrator, and so many of you who gave me really good advice, support, and recommendations. The vendors I dealt with were all terrific. It is now almost 10 months since the fire, I am making good progress with the PTSD, and once again, enjoying the heck out of motorcycling.

Very good! Upgrading the suspension on the FJR is one of the best farkles an owner can do. I don't know how to dial in a suspension and finding a pro nearby who can do this work is just the ticket for many.

Congrats and best wishes on recovering from your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice set of additions to the bike! Nothing better than making it your own AND having something you really enjoy.

Well done and good luck!

--G

Ajay, you are now among the many Happy AE owners on this Forum. It didn't take you long to fall in Love with the trigger shifter did it? Glad your here! Enjoy! :)

Thanks for the good wishes. Much too cold to ride now - 18F !!

I have an 09 too and it is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. However, I have recently started to inquire about suspension upgrades. What did it cost for your upgrade and what model# Penske rear shock and front inserts did you have installed? Thanks and I'm glad you are enjoying your bike as much as I am. Saw the new 13 at the NY Motorcycle Show and still wouldn't trade mine for anything less than a FJR with a new 1400cc upgraded motor.

I have an 09 too and it is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. However, I have recently started to inquire about suspension upgrades. What did it cost for your upgrade and what model# Penske rear shock and front inserts did you have installed? Thanks and I'm glad you are enjoying your bike as much as I am. Saw the new 13 at the NY Motorcycle Show and still wouldn't trade mine for anything less than a FJR with a new 1400cc upgraded motor.

PM sent

Nah the motor is not what needs upgrading. The jury is still out on the one legged front fork damper on the 13 FJR. Now 13 owners are screwed if they want to update their forks - after market to the rescue. If Mamaha could figure out how to remove 30 lbs that would catch my attention.

My GP fork mod / Penske rear shock set up went a long way to making the bike feel lighter and much more responsive. Tires make a big difference too.

Although it's already over, there is a lot good information on the GP Suspension group buy thread. Contact them, maybe you can work something out.

--G

A year has gone by since the farkles - I forgot to mention the Russell seat is heated, and the addition of fork mounted motolights, and loud horns. Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions and comments.

We have finally rebuilt our home and moved in. Only one problem, the new garage is such that manhandling the FJR around is very tough - too heavy. Also the tight right turn at the bottom of the driveway is scary. I bought a German made dolly for garage moves - a real strain to deploy center stand ( even with a board under rear wheel). My wife saw me huffing and puffing - remarked that I am 65, short (5'9"), don't take month long trips, etc, and should buy a lighter bike.

Even as I argued with her, saying how much I loved this bike - I knew she was right. I rode a Norge 8v ( a bit lighter but feels like a 100 lbs lighter), Triumph Explorer, R1200RT, R1200GS ( lighter, but still heavy). Decided to find a sub 500 lb bike that would be great for the 300 mile joyrides I take, once a year or so week long trip, and also be reliable with good dealer support. I was all set to pull the trigger on new '14 Ninja 1000 - but insurance is triple the premium. Then took Triumph Tiger 800 for a spin - great engine, but it didn't speak to me. So far the only bike that put a grin on my face and got my heart beating was the Norge. Reason told me it was still heavier than I wanted.

Tried a bike I mentally dismissed - BMW F800GT - wow! Certainly not in the same class as FJR, but oh what fun. Nimble and tracks well. The one I rode did not have the buzziness I had read about. The comfort seat gave more legroom than the FJR. I am getting a white one, and think grip buddies and different windscreen will be all I will need. I may mis the Russell heated seat but can always get that later. I also will miss the AE's electric clutch. Suspension seemed fine, and Mike Faillace, Metric Moto Devil, said it would be easy and inexpensive to modify, but thought he could just dial it in for me. Moving it around and deploying center stand are incredibly easy - 200 lbs. lighter than FJR.

So, I am going to sell my 5.000 mile, with YAMAHA warranty until 2017. I will take pictures and post in classified soon. I am located in Philadelphia suburbs. I would like to get around $10,000 or so. I can get $7000 on trade and could debarked a bit before, but would rather not hassle with it. Suspension, horn, and Motolight driving lights are too much work to remove, Russell heated seat is easy, MV handlebar risers - not sure. I welcome any thought and advice - this will be a bitter sweet change.

Thanks everyone.

I rode one of those a few years ago when they were still the F800ST. I reported here that bike was a ton of fun. A little small for me, but a great bike. I'm sure the GT follows suite.

Have fun.