905 Racing rear Crash Bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsozz

Reaction score
I installed the 905 Racing REAR crash bars/bag protectors. While riding, I bottomed out the left crash bar (small scratch on the crash bar) when pulling out of a filling station on an incline going up and to the left.

Has anyone had clearance problems with these crash bars?

Made me nervious, and I don't know if I want to leave them on my 08 FJR.

Nothing else touched the pavement and, I was not traveling over 5 MPH.

I have had no way to check the lean angle that the rear crash bars will allow.

gsozz :blink:

Don't have them.

Spent too much time trying to get them, but some that did questioned the lean angle. Some have had them sent back to 905Racing for further modifications.

Lot's of good things about 905Racing Customer Service and how they really go out of their way to help their fjr customers; contact them give them a chance to fix it. Perhaps the ones you received was the earlier prototype version.

Search Google/fjrforum-Crashbars.

I rather thought the purpose of a crash bar was to be the first or even only part to touch. . . . .

Granted, that's not the same as insufficient clearance, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump for more comments please
I've only had mine on for a short time but I've not had any issues with them touching down. They look cool and promise to protect way better than sliders so I'm leaving them on even if they do scrape.

I'm interested in these bars and highway pegs. I did a google search and found this complaint. I've e-mailed the company about clearnace issues.

This can be found at: https://journal.drfaulken.com/the-best-and-...adgets-of-2009/

(Dis)honorable mention: 905 Racing FJR1300A motorcycle crash bars

Small-scale motorcycle gear and equipment manufacturers are totally hit or miss. Sometimes you find people like Dennis at BeachMoto.com who love their product and have excellent customer service, or that one retired fellow who cranks out tons of high quality custom parts for my FJR. Then you have jerks like Wayne Boyer of Motoport who wouldn’t recognize customer service if it crushed him. Unfortunately the couple that run 905 Racing seem to be nice folks, but their FJR crash bar design is fundamentally flawed and dangerous. I ground down the edge of their engine crash cage during a maneuver that would have cleared the stock Yamaha peg feelers.

For a company that designs stunt cages for a living, this is an obvious and unforgivable oversight. After posting my experience on the FJR forum, several others came forward stating they had similar experiences. It’s a blessing no one was injured with 905’s bars on their bikes. They have since changed the design.

Adding insult to potential injury, my emails to them went unanswered, even after sending them photos of the bars installed and ground down to bare metal.

Who knows what I’ll

I'm interested in these bars and highway pegs. I did a google search and found this complaint. I've e-mailed the company about clearnace issues.
This can be found at: https://journal.drfaulken.com/the-best-and-...adgets-of-2009/

(Dis)honorable mention: 905 Racing FJR1300A motorcycle crash bars

Small-scale motorcycle gear and equipment manufacturers are totally hit or miss. Sometimes you find people like Dennis at BeachMoto.com who love their product and have excellent customer service, or that one retired fellow who cranks out tons of high quality custom parts for my FJR. Then you have jerks like Wayne Boyer of Motoport who wouldn’t recognize customer service if it crushed him. Unfortunately the couple that run 905 Racing seem to be nice folks, but their FJR crash bar design is fundamentally flawed and dangerous. I ground down the edge of their engine crash cage during a maneuver that would have cleared the stock Yamaha peg feelers.

For a company that designs stunt cages for a living, this is an obvious and unforgivable oversight. After posting my experience on the FJR forum, several others came forward stating they had similar experiences. It’s a blessing no one was injured with 905’s bars on their bikes. They have since changed the design.

Adding insult to potential injury, my emails to them went unanswered, even after sending them photos of the bars installed and ground down to bare metal.

Who knows what I’ll

Thanks, but I am talking about the REAR crash bars, not the front crash bars.

gsozz

I installed the 905 Racing REAR crash bars/bag protectors. While riding, I bottomed out the left crash bar (small scratch on the crash bar) when pulling out of a filling station on an incline going up and to the left. Has anyone had clearance problems with these crash bars?

Made me nervious, and I don't know if I want to leave them on my 08 FJR.

Nothing else touched the pavement and, I was not traveling over 5 MPH.

I have had no way to check the lean angle that the rear crash bars will allow.

gsozz :blink:
I've got the front and rear 905 racing crash bars. I've not had a problem with touching down with the rear bar. From the way you describe the paved area where it happened, it sounds like you had two angles meeting one another. The angle from the bar and the angle from the pavement. I doubt you will have that on most roads or twisties. This angle deal also arises when people try to put the bike on the side stand when there is an elevated angle on the left so that the bike won't lean enough and stays almost upright and thus falls over to the right side. Up to you about leaving them, but I will leave mine since had a tipover before got them and wished I'd had them on for that.

doctorj

While I can't claim to be a peg scraper, I did have one occasion to touch down the lower tube of the 905 bar without the footpegs scraping. I suspect the suspension was under compression on a quick left hand manoever. I have been dialing in suspension adjustments and have increased front preload (now at 2), and run with the rear on "hard" all the time. So, I haven't had it happen since, but haven't been in those conditions since either.

I also made sliders to fit in the upper 1" tube, and they stick out 2-3/4" and have never touched. I had calculated 3" was max. by using a sheet of plywood to simulate lean angle (suspension not compressed). This told me the footpeg would hit first, just barely before the lower tube, but obviously, that isn't true. The mirrors and handlebars have tons of clearance, FYI.

Does anyone know what the alledged design change was?

Bump for more comments please
You can get a rough approximation of clearance with a large piece of cardboard. Place the edge on the tires where they meet the ground and raise the cardboard to see what hits first. Not totally accurate, but it'll give you an idea.