A 2007 FJR1300A is finally going to be in my garage!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the drive from Virgina to Texas. Also did the drive from Houston over to Louisiana and back. My advice is head north ASAP to enjoy the roads. I-10 is FLAT and straight. IF you can find a way north to I44 through MO or I40 through TN, the drive will be lots more enjoyable. While they are great states full of great people, LA, MISS, and Alabama are pretty flat. AR, TN, over to VA are much more scenic (apologies to the southeastern states - each has areas of great beauty, but not on the interstate). I-40 turns into i-81 up through eastern TN (Hills) and the Shenandoah valley in VA. That pretty much means heading to DFW, little rock and then I40. You'll maybe miss some great Cajun food, but the roads are ++

getting up to I40 may not work given your short time. Just my thoughts from doing the drives through those areas in years gone by. congratulations on the great machine and have a safe enjoyable ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done the drive from Virgina to Texas. Also did the drive from Houston over to Louisiana and back. My advice is head north ASAP to enjoy the roads. I-10 is FLAT and straight. IF you can find a way north to I44 through MO or I40 through TN, the drive will be lots more enjoyable. While they are great states full of great people, LA, MISS, and Alabama are pretty flat. AR, TN, over to VA are much more scenic (apologies to the southeastern states - each has areas of great beauty, but not on the interstate). I-40 turns into i-81 up through eastern TN (Hills) and the Shenandoah valley in VA. That pretty much means heading to DFW, little rock and then I40. You'll maybe miss some great Cajun food, but the roads are ++
getting up to I40 may not work given your short time. Just my thoughts from doing the drives through those areas in years gone by. congratulations on the great machine and have a safe enjoyable ride.
One of my thoughts about taking a more southern route, would be the hopes that it would be warmer longer. The first of April can still bring some cold temps. This was my main reason for staying south along the gulf for most of the trip.

What say you?...

One of my thoughts about taking a more southern route, would be the hopes that it would be warmer longer. The first of April can still bring some cold temps. This was my main reason for staying south along the gulf for most of the trip.

What say you?...

You are probably right about the south being warmer longer. If you are sold on that idea, may I suggest that when you get to houston, you take the Hwy 90 exit and parallel I-10 on hwy 90, then jumping back on I-10 at Bmt, then jumping back north on hwy 12 in Vidor....hwy 12 turns into hwy 190 in louisiana, and this will take you all the way into Baton Rouge. You can then decide to keep heading east or turn north. I travel this route quite often and its WAY better than fighting 18 wheelers and road construction on I-10. See map below....

P.S. I live along the hwy 190 route, north between Lake Charles and Lafayette

HoustonBR.jpg

Thanks........I made this adjustment in my trip back. If anyone else has any suggestions such as this, I greatly appreciate them.

Only 3 days left until I finally meet with my 2007 Black Cherry!!! It has been a long time coming, but I think I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am going to start packing tonight and double checking my list of essential items to take.

March 31st can't get here soon enough.

So has anyone heard from this fellow? I hope he's still not trying to get home. :unsure:
I am here. I made it back in the three days like I planned. I hopped on the bike in Texas and never looked back. I was worried the FJR would be too big or heavy for me to handle. Hell no, actually exactly the oppsite. I find this bike easier to ride than my old Honda Shadow. The FJR will flat out fly. I have been riding so much and staring at the bike that I have not posted my return yet.

The only regret I have about the FJR is that I waited over two years to buy one. This is one awesome bike!!!

So has anyone heard from this fellow? I hope he's still not trying to get home. :unsure:
I am here. I made it back in the three days like I planned. I hopped on the bike in Texas and never looked back. I was worried the FJR would be too big or heavy for me to handle. Hell no, actually exactly the oppsite. I find this bike easier to ride than my old Honda Shadow. The FJR will flat out fly. I have been riding so much and staring at the bike that I have not posted my return yet.

The only regret I have about the FJR is that I waited over two years to buy one. This is one awesome bike!!!

haha Yea I know the feeling. I just picked up my new 09 last Friday and know exactly what youre talking about. I was never so nervous driving that thing out of the dealers parking lot. Glad to hear that your trip went well. I too am doing a great deal of gawking as well.

Well as he lives and breathes the New FJR Fumes.....

Glad to hear from ya and that you made it back safe....Guess the transition went well without a hitch.

Enjoy that 07' Black Cherry....

Latest posts