A camping Trip gone to Hell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
I waited to post this until it was all wrapped up. That happened yesterday, so here's the tale.

Three weeks ago Mrs Wanderer and I had a few days off and decided to take a short shake-down run of some new and re-purposed motocamping gear. We found a tent campgroud about 50 miles from the house, packed everything up and off we went. I was quite proud of the setup. I got a 5x7 dome tent, 2 20* down bags, an ultralight tarp and a small bag of dry food like granola bars and oatmeal packets. In the side cases went clothes, 2 inflatable air mattresses, frozen chicken chunks, veggies, and BBQ skewers, some water and flashlights. We were psyched and ready. I had everything for a 4-day camp trip (minus replacement perishable food) safely stowed in the luggage of the bike.

IMG00021-20100603-1240.jpg

Thursday June 3rd we set off around noon. a short ride and we were at the site. I'm an idiot and didn't get pics of the site setup, but my wife is standing in front of where the tent would later be, the tarp attached to it and stretched out to the trees nearby. I snapped this pic while waiting for the little compressor to inflate the camp pads.

crash001.jpg

After playing cards and relaxing, the campground host hadn't returned so I hopped on the bike to ride 3 miles for a bundle of firewood to cook dinner over.

That's when it went to hell.

I freely admit, I was distracted. I have no one to blame but me. I was very familiar with the road, I was war-gaming the best way to setup the skewers, thinking about dinner, about the card game I was winning, buzzing along the 55mph road in no particular hurry. I saw it, it didn't register immediately. Sand. No probs, I swing wide. Too wide, too fast. I threw the bike hard into the turn, but the wheels slipped on the sand.I thought I was going down. Instead, I let the bike stand up but it was too late. My front tire left the asphalt, just slipping off the edge, that 2" drop where it turns to dirt. I stayed off the guardrail, but the wheel rode the lip like a skateboarder grinding a rail. I low-sided. Hard. I'm pretty sure I was still at or close to 55. I slid a long way. The bike slid further. like 300' further.

When I came to a stop, I was still in my lane. Immediately a passerby stopped and came to help. They called 911 and a very nice gentleman went up the hill to get my wife. I was transported to a Littleton Hospital.

The toll:

Body- sorry no pics

Broken left clavicle. non-surgical, well aligned.

2 broken ribs, several more bruised

minor spleen laceration, causing a small amount of internal bleeding.

minor concussion.

I have a palm-print sized friction burn to my left shoulder. Let me be clear: the gear did very well. My dumb-ass was wearing a nylon cool-max tshirt that I am convinced caused this. Expounded upon in 'the gear' below.

The Gear-

HJC SyMaxII helmet

Modular stayed closed despite a hard hit and a long slide. I couldn't have asked for better protection.

IMG00025-20100603-2026.jpg

Tourmaster 'Intake' mesh jacket

No pics, but I can say this, and my wife will verify: There were ZERO breaches in this jacket. not one inch of my skin ever contacted the roadway. I did a self check and while the cordura shoulder patch that covers the armor was ground through on a half-dollar spot, all it exposed was the CE armor under. there's a bad scuff/rash on the elbow as well but no tearing. They cut it off me at the scene. Even the medic commented on how it 'still looked usable' to him. I'm stunned how well it held up. My last though before I hit the road was me cursing my stupidity to buy a mesh jacket. After this. I'd likely buy another. There is a good amount of painful 'carpet burn' to the shoulder. I believe this is due to the jacket being 1/2 size too big and allowing the coolmax t-shirt to rub hard. There are alot of potential fixes to this for next time. Live and learn.

RoadGear Adaptive-Tec gloves-

Completely unscathed. Not sure how, but there's not a single scuff on my gloves. They don't look like they were in a crash.

Pants-

Levi's heavy canvas cargo pants. heavy scuffing, torn pocket, no breaches. My blackberry Storm was in my L cargo pocket, and it has a nicely ground off corner, corrosponding to the hole torn in that left cargo pocket, so I think I sild on the phone a while, but there are otherwise no holes in the pants and none of my skin contacted the roadway. They were also cut off at the scene. Apparently they were sturdy enough (hard to cut and in good shape) that, had I not been in a c-collar, they'd have unbuttoned and undressed me rather than cut.

Boots-

TM Solution WP boots

minor scuffing on left toe/outer edge. All cosmetic, polished with some 'Kiwi boot polished it'd disappear. I kicked the roadway hard enough to turn my Big toenail purple underneath but I don't think the nail will come off. Not much I can do about that.

Bike-

We can skip the discussion of frame sliders, thank you very much. I know. I'm dumb.

rashed fairing and alternator cover, broken mirror and turn signal

crash005.jpg

crash003.jpg

Ground through! Yikes!

crash006.jpg

rashed Sidecase

crash004.jpg

The shop that did the insurance estimate says the front subframe might show some damage, but likley minor and fixable. Total cost for repairs and labor, $4157.

Nvertheless, State Farm deemed the bike a total loss and offered me $6233. for it.

So there it is. Bikes Totaled. I'm not much the worse for wear. I'm not sure where I go from here, but with so much else going on in my life I'm gonna think a while about the bikes replacement. As much as this may be blasphemy, I'm leaning toward a down-sizing of bike. Right now a Versys is pretty high on my short list. I love the FJR, but.... well let's just say I find it 'overkill' more often than not. Time will tell.

Either way, there's my story. I hope this reminds at least one person to wear gear, and always pay attention.

I hate to read reports like this, but glad you're reasonably OK.

I'm also glad your wife wasn't with you. I really hate those reports...

Take care..

Glad you're OK, at least after a fashion. Could have been a lot worse. I hate sand on the road. My low side slide was on sand over asphalt back in 1968, and I've never forgotten it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ALWAYS the left side clavicle, isn't it? BTDT. Crashing sucks, but as noted above, glad you're in relatively good shape, the Mrs. wasn't on board, and you're now a certified gear tester with that stellar write up. Sorry to hear this and with many, a get off could financially mean a long time before replacing a steed, but hope things work out for you. Looks like you were set for a great trip, hopefully you can complete it soon.

Freekin sand on the road SUCKS ( just ask skooterG!) Learned my lesson not paying enough attention on a road with curves too! Glad yer not hurt too bad! Take er easy now & recover!

Glad you're okay. Bike doesn't look that bad to me. set of hong kong fairings, new alternator cover, a mirror, install it yourself?

Versys is a cool looking bike. Before I bought the FJR I strongly considered a V-strom or Wee-strom. I'm sure I'll get one eventually, once I wear out the FJR.

Sorry to hear about the crash. As others have said, it is no fun to read about others misfortunes, but at least you weren't more seriously hurt. I had a similar crash last fall, albeit at a much slower speed causing only cosmetic damage to the bike and thankfully no serious injuries to me. I can attest to the sense of frustration when something like this happens - no particular hurry, minding your own business, etc. Just plain sucks.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and in whatever ride you choose going forward.

Glad you're able to write up this stellar a report this soon after going down that hard ! Plus 2 or 3 on the wife not being present to share it.

Tough way to sell a 7 year old bike. If you feel like messing with a buy back and doing some repairs yourself that Versys could just about end up paid for and then some.

Hope this all works out for you and the healing goes as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Dang, glad you're ok considering what could have happened. I did something with similar outcome a couple of years ago, except it was slower and I high sided, but I also broke my left clavicle and 2 ribs. And since it was up here in the Pacific Northwet it wasn't sand, it was actually wet moss... So I guess welcome to the club!!!!

I have to say I really like how the Versys looks design-wise, but I park next to one every day with my FJR, and albeit I agree the FJR is sort of overkill for commuting to work, the Versys just looks like a tiny toy in comparison. The coworker who rides it says it's the best bike he owned so far, but looks quite funny and over-sized on the bike since he's something like 6'3" or 6'4".

Good luck & heal quickly! I would figure it might be a couple of months before you feel like taking a test ride on a Versys...

Glad you're OK, well kinda. I just recently had a similiar accident on mine. I hit the asphalt at 70 and the bike slid on it's side hitting nothing. The dealer quoted State Farm $5,200 for repairs. Insurance didn't total mine and gave me the cash. You might check it out if you have mechanical abilities I did my own repairs replacing some with new and some with used parts off ebay. I put the bike back together like new for less than 2,000. Much of the cost was for labor as it had bent the yoke that holds the fairing. I might also point out mine would have been unrepairable if it hadn't been for the sliders, the whole bollt head and half the bracket was ground away since mine slid about 150 yards on asphalt. By the way it's 3 months later and just yesterday I rode it about 150 miles after recovery from a collapsed lung , fractured shoulder, fractured collar bone and 2 broken ribs. Fourteen days in the hospital, 7 in intensive care. I too as pretty well geared up and my helmet looked a lot like yours, if it hadn't been for a new well fitted leather jacket I would have been MUCH worse off. I just wanted you to have some options and I wanted everyone to hear from another crash victim...... Wear that gear, I don't care if it's hot...... Wear it, it maybe the only thing that saves your life.

Sorry to hear about your crash but glad it wasn't worse, sounds like it could have been with that guardrail. Hope you heal up fast and good luck with whatever decision you make about future bikes. Thanks for sharing and especially for the reminders about paying attention and wearing the gear. Just a few miles down the road to pick up some firewood....don't need all that gear. You proved why we should all be prepared all the time.

Not to make light, but if someone offered me that price for my '03, I'd take it and run! Of course, that may be including your gear, in which case it ain't that good a deal!

Actually, I can't believe the bike is totaled by some body damage. A mirror, a turn signal, two panels, a bag, and a stator cover. Unless the forks are bent or the front subframe is really twisted (which could break tabs on the front cowl, another expensive part) the bike is fine.

I wear the same boots, and have "tested" them. I also wear Tour Master mesh gear, and have "tested" it. Twice. But not at 55. But I'm still wearing the same gear, not having been through having it cut off of me. Similarly, in my faster (second) crash, my hands never hit the ground. I trashed a helmet in my first crash, and got raod scrapes on the knuckle armor of my gloves, and the replacement helmet went through the second crashed unscathed, head never hit, either.

TM makes good gear!!!!

There's them that has and them that will.

Glad that you feel you came out ok and are doing so well.

Really appreciate the great descriptions about each piece of gear. I'm amazed the Levis protected your legs so well.

The bike does not look that bad. I'd see if I could get the parts of FleaBay & have it back on the road for a fraction of the insurance price.

It's ALWAYS the left side clavicle, isn't it?

NOPE! MC induced Seperated RIGHT AC Joint (see avitar) and have buddy that has same injury same reason!

Glad to hear that your ok (for the most part) and that the wife wasn't with you.

Which ever way you go (bike wise) shiny parts up!!!!!!

JUJU sent your way for speedy recovery!

Greg