A Do (nearly) everything Controller for the FJR1300AS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
Having been persuaded to go on a Continental tour with a friend, I bought myself a heated vest from Exo2 to cope with possibly very cold Alpine passes. I also bought Exo2's controller, but I returned it after finding it unsuitable for my installation; I decided to make my own. Well, I couldn't ride because of the weather.

(Click on image for larger view)

Since one obvious desirable feature is that it should stop powering the vest if the battery voltage is low, it seemed reasonable that it should measure the voltage. So it would be easy to make it display the voltage. And, while we're at it, it can "press" the hand gear-change select button (something I've always wanted).

What I've come up with is a control box on the handlebar and a power switching module by the battery.

The control is done using a microprocessor, It's a PIC16F873, one I've used many times before, and more than capable of the task required.

The complete circuit is here:

The switching module has 3 relays and a power FET transistor.

The relays are used as follows:
1) Switched by the ignition to send power to the controller;
2) Switched by the headlight circuit to provide power to the vest heating circuit after the engine is running;
3) Switched by the controller to provide contact closure across the hand gear-change select button;

The FET is cycled on and off by the controller to provide adjustable heating.

Operation.

When the ignition is turned on, the controller waits for about 100mS, then switches on the gear select relay, after another 200mS it turns it off.

The controller's heater setting switch is a 3 position toggle switch, sprung to the centre. (I wanted to use two push buttons but couldn't find any sealed ones.) Pressing the switch one way will increase the heat setting, the other way will lower it.

I have arbitrarily chosen to use 8 heat settings (on for one eighth of the time to eight eighths of the time).

When the switch is pressed, the display shows the current setting in the form "0H" for off, "1H" to "8H" when on. Clicking the switch up or down (or holding it to auto-repeat) will increase (or decrease) the setting.

When the switch has been released for a short while, the display reverts to voltage. If the voltage is low (currently below 13.5 volts), no power will be switched to the vest, periodically the display will show "0L". If the switch is pressed, the display will also show "0L".

The display brightness is something of an issue. Clearly it needs to be bright in daylight to be visible, but dim in the dark so as not to be distracting. I'd originally considered using a light sensor to modify the brightness, but in the end I made it display brightly at first turn-on or whenever the switch was activated; after the switch has been left for a short while the display changes to voltage, still bright, then after a further delay it goes dim. This seems an acceptable compromise to me.

Construction.

The control box consists of a totally water-proof box with a transparent lid so the display can be seen from the inside, and a sealed switch to control the vest.

There is an aluminium plate screwed to the box's bottom. This is used both as a heat sink for the power regulator and to mount the rest. Above the plate is a piece of strip-board with the power regulator components. At the top is a piece of square-pad board on which the control circuitry is mounted, but a small piece of board is used behind the display to fix the current limiting resistors for the display segments.

The switch is through a hole in the box side; it is fitted with a sealing washer and sleeve.

A 6-core cable feeds through a hole in the bottom of the box, a grommet will stop water coming in. The box has a second grommeted hole, a left-over from a previous use of the box. I've put a tube through this and called it a breather so any damp can evaporate away.

I made a bracket to bolt the box to the light and gear-change switches on the left handlebar, using spacers and long screws replacing two of the original screws. It is angled for convenient reading of the display and switch operation. I intend painting it black; it will be less noticeable and will look a bit like a clutch reservoir, more or less balancing the brake reservoir.

The power switching module is made on a piece of strip-board, the three relays and other components soldered to it. The power switching FET is bolted to a small piece of aluminium to allow any heat to be dissipated. The whole is wrapped in self-amalgamating tape to protect and insulate everything, the aluminium is exposed at one end to the air to allow heat to escape.

The whole module is simply placed above the battery under the panel, there is just room for it there.

The power module is wired from the battery via a fuse; all circuits are after this fuse. (Actually there are two fuses, but that's not really relevant.)

There are no connectors used anywhere (other than where the vest plugs in), they are only a source of problems. If any maintenance is required I will unsolder whatever connections are necessary.

For a fuller description, including my methods of tapping into the bike's wiring, more details of the unit's construction and links to the software, try my write-up.

I've not had a chance to use it much, but a brief trial showed everything works exactly as I want. A useful way to fill non-riding time
smile.gif

Please note: I have no intention of going into mass production, it's much too (riding) time consuming, I've only posted it here in case it's of interest to anyone.

Happy new year!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 - Nice write up and nice job.

One possible modification to consider would be somehow weatherproofing the switching module. I could see that misbehaving if it gets wet. I know my Heattroller didn't like the rain until I gooped it all up with silcone sealer compound. But the heat being shed by the FET would probably be a problem for silicone potting.

[edit - Is that what the self Amalgamating tape does? I'm not familiar with it]

[edit edit - OK now I see the pics of the insulated module. Seems you've thought of everything, even testing it with a shower in the garage]

If you are ever looking for a worthy side project in your semi retirement (that would be quite sellable) consider designing a wireless helmet headset that can be used with a rider's existing Intercom box (Starcom1 or Autocom).

Whoever comes up with one of those could probably sell a metric butt-load of them.

"If you are ever looking for a worthy side project in your semi retirement (that would be quite sellable) consider designing a wireless helmet headset that can be used with a rider's existing Intercom box (Starcom1 or Autocom).

Whoever comes up with one of those could probably sell a metric butt-load of them."

Gunny that.

Nice job.

I have a module that arms my AE (AS) paddles, which was built by a forum member several years ago. I salvaged it from my previous bike and will install it on my current bike when the time is right. With your unit, are you programmed to delay the pulse until a set time in the event you cycled the key switch off then back on quickly? With my unit it requires a 2 second delay before key switch on or it fails to trigger the paddles.

There are a number of us AE owners on the various forums that would be very interested in a plug & play set up for arming our bike's paddles if you were interested in developing it. Perhaps you could find the Sumitomo connector for just those 2 pins. I could see extracting the pins and inserting them into a second 4 pin connector which goes to your arming device. The other two pins would end up back in the bikes module connector. That would be the sanitary way of integrating your device for the masses - no delicate wire insulation removal and soldering job.

Think about it, I paid $50 for my device and had to expose 3 wires in that same harness.

smile.gif

Brodie

An interesting exercise.

My only real comment would be that I suspect you could have reduced the number of relays you are using, as they are eventualy going to be a source of problems.

Powering the device from the headlight circuit, and using the power FET to control all power to the vest (no relay) would ave been my personal choices.

<snip>

If you are ever looking for a worthy side project in your semi retirement (that would be quite sellable) consider designing a wireless helmet headset that can be used with a rider's existing Intercom box (Starcom1 or Autocom).

Whoever comes up with one of those could probably sell a metric butt-load of them.
I would have to second that remark. I have a Starcom Digital and would love to cut the umbilical cord from that unit. I could see a bluetooth device that would do just that, intercept the lead from the Starcom and broadcast it to a module on the helmet that the speakers and microphone plugs into.

Starcom has a Bluetooth device that has nothing to do with their on bike modules. I think they are missing the boat on this. I could care less about "Bluetooth Bike to Bike" ( a technological dead end IMHO ) when I have my far superior set up hard wired tied into GMRS/CB and such. Just let me cut the cord, what's so hard about that?

Think about it.

sarcasm.gif

Brodie

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
...Thank you for taking the time to do that. Nice write-up!

Fantastic! Good job.
Glad you liked it.
Nice job.
I have a module that arms my AE (AS) paddles, which was built by a forum member several years ago. I salvaged it from my previous bike and will install it on my current bike when the time is right. With your unit, are you programmed to delay the pulse until a set time in the event you cycled the key switch off then back on quickly? With my unit it requires a 2 second delay before key switch on or it fails to trigger the paddles.

Brodie
The answer to that is mine needs no "recovery" time at all.
[technical stuff]

I suspect yours used some sort of resistor/capacitor/trigger timing thingy. If you're not into the electronic stuff, compare with a water system.

(Click on image for larger view)

Starts with the bucket empty, the slide valve is blocked.

Turn on the (ignition) stopcock, the bucket fills moderately quickly through the pipe. The float valve rises until water can pass through the slide valve.

As the bucket level continues to rise, the valve stops water flowing, the pulse is over. The bucket continues to fill until it is nearly at the header tank level (poor (pour?) drawing, the bucket's sides must be higher than the header tank).

Meanwhile, water is leaking slowly out of the thin pipe.

When the ignition is turned off, water continues to leak through the thin pipe, the bucket water level goes down. After your two seconds, it will have dropped the slide valve sufficiently for it to have closed in its low state. But, turn the stop cock on before then, it won't have had time to drop, you won't get a pulse of water.

Mine uses a computer chip, compare that with a man. Ignition off, he's asleep. Ignition on, he wakes up, starts a stop-watch.

After the first time-out, he holds the valve on (against a spring). Starts his stop-watch again, after the appropriate time, he turns it off.

Any time you turn the ignition off, he goes to sleep very quickly (a few thousandths of a second), so however short the ignition off period, he starts all over again.

Hope that helps explain what is going on.

[/technical stuff]

...There are a number of us AE owners on the various forums that would be very interested in a plug & play set up for arming our bike's paddles if you were interested in developing it. Perhaps you could find the Sumitomo connector for just those 2 pins. I could see extracting the pins and inserting them into a second 4 pin connector which goes to your arming device. The other two pins would end up back in the bikes module connector. That would be the sanitary way of integrating your device for the masses - no delicate wire insulation removal and soldering job.

Think about it, I paid $50 for my device and had to expose 3 wires in that same harness.

Brodie
I'm afraid I've no wish to manufacture anything. My expertise has always been in design.
While I do know of people who could put such a design into production, the market is so small (certainly on this side of the pond) it just wouldn't be commercially feasable.

I have already turned down some design work unconnected with motorcyclng (it was to do with guns). I still do a couple of days a week with my previous employer, that keeps my brain sufficiently active.

So, sorry, it's just not going to happen.

An interesting exercise.
My only real comment would be that I suspect you could have reduced the number of relays you are using, as they are eventualy going to be a source of problems.

Powering the device from the headlight circuit, and using the power FET to control all power to the vest (no relay) would ave been my personal choices.
I'd thought long and hard about the relays.
None are actually necessary, but I've always been fairly cautious (except sometimes when I'm riding!).

By using the relays, there is a further measure of safety in case any of my electronics fails. Also, if I add anything else that needs ignition or headlight switching, the relays are already there.

The pulse relay could have been eliminating by using its drive transistor to do the switching, but I wanted to have the least possibilty of affecting my (UK) 3 year warranty.

+1 - Nice write up and nice job.One possible modification to consider would be somehow weatherproofing the switching module. I could see that misbehaving if it gets wet. I know my Heattroller didn't like the rain until I gooped it all up with silcone sealer compound. But the heat being shed by the FET would probably be a problem for silicone potting.

[edit - Is that what the self Amalgamating tape does? I'm not familiar with it]

[edit edit - OK now I see the pics of the insulated module. Seems you've thought of everything, even testing it with a shower in the garage]

The tape can make a waterproof seal. One of its selling points is that it can be used to temporarily mend a leaking pipe. ???? Now there's an idea
wink.gif

Where I joined into the loom for the gear selection switch was low down under the left fairing, it might get water on the join, so I was careful to wrap each wire then bind the lot so that it should be completely waterproof. With the relay module, I don't expect it to get wet in its position above the battery, I've only wrapped round the wire bundle, so water could possibly seep in. Any that does should be evaporated off by warmth from the relay coils.

See my comments above.

See my comments above.

In that case, you just design it and I'll sell the metric butt-load of them. ;)

In that case, you just design it and I'll sell the metric butt-load of them. ;)
Fred, I appreciate your desire, but I'll have to decline. To reiterate my post:

I have already turned down some design work unconnected with motorcyclng (it was to do with guns). I still do a couple of days a week with my previous employer, that keeps my brain sufficiently active.

So, sorry, it's just not going to happen.

To add to my reasons, I've never designed anything using Bluetooth, but I am aware of what is needed (we once looked into Bluetooth for data transmission at work; it simply wasn't fast enough for what we wanted, so it never got off the ground).

It's not trivial in terms of development requirements, nor in the intricacies of the designs.

Even if I'd done a Bluetooth design before, I'd still be reluctant; I'd hate to promise what I might have trouble delivering within a reasonable time-frame. Call it an old-fashioned professional attitude if you like. And even in my retirement I seem to have little time to do these projects (I really could only find the time for my "controller" because the weather was so unusually bad).

So with regret I have to refuse.

...consider designing a wireless helmet headset that can be used with a rider's existing Intercom box (Starcom1 or Autocom)...
If someone were to make and market one of these, one of the biggest obstacles will be getting a label for the unit. The label has three letters that are really tough for a non professional designer to get -- FCC approved for 2.4 GHz use, and ya can't sell it without the label. None the less, I have ideas :unsure: Next time we have a few minutes free around a ride we can talk and perhaps get some scale for what a DIY kit may involve.