A little bit of Scotland - part of Applecross, Pass of the Cattle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
In September, I went for a few days to Scotland. the background is that our usual tour organiser R wanted to check out some routes and hotels for a larger group of us next year. He asked if my son and I would like to come along for the ride. That, of course, comes under the heading of a stupid question. So, hotels were booked for this trip.

One of the more interesting roads is the Pass of the Cattle. This used to be the only land access to Applecross. It's a mountain pass that makes for a good run.

This video is of a section of this road. It is some 8 minutes long, I make no apology for this. There are sections that are less interesting than others, but you can jump into any part and probably find it worthwhile - if you like narrow, tight, twisty mountainous roads. This section is leading up to to the really twisty part, this is perhaps more about the views. Don't expect high speeds or any peg scraping, you'll see why if you watch it. It's best viewed on a reasonably big screen.

In front of me is my son on a Ducati Monster, in front and leading us is R on a Ducati Multistrada.

The video was taken using a Tomtom Bandit camera mounted on my brake fluid reservoir. For bandwidth considerations, the video file is compressed from the original. Sound is as recorded by the camera, I suggest you turn it right down, it's not of the best, a great deal of wind and mechanical noise. Maybe play some soft rock instead.

I hope you get something out of this. I have several more videos of parts of this road, I'll post them if there's interest.

Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a blast! Cool scenery. How far from home is that for you?
About 500-odd miles, it would take about a day and a half to get there (we don't do 18-hour days ;) .)
Unfortunately, it's not easy to simply decide to run up there. One of the biggest problems with Scotland is accommodation, you can't just turn up and hope to get a bed somewhere. We book months, sometimes a year in advance, at least for the nicer, out-of-the-way places that we prefer.

I'm interested. Go ahead and post them. Me Likey!
yes.gif
Ok, next part, continues from the previous. Gets quite twisty in the second half.

More later ...

Spousal Unit and I spent a week roaming around Scotland during one of our assignments in Germany. It was long ago and we did it in a Fiat X-19 but it is one of our fondest memories. We talk of going back and doing it again on bikes. Thanks for the memories.

About 500-odd miles...
I assume that's an "English unit".
Maybe an idiom less common on your side of the pond? Note the hyphen tying it to the "500". Simple means "more or less". Reiterates the "About". Something of a neoplasm. Unnecessary. Redundant.

Sorry, didn't want to cause confusion, plenty of that around here without my help.

Arriving at "Bealach na Ba Viewpoint".

Coming down the other side. Part way down we meet a group of riders, one of whose number has just picked their bike up after a drop on a hairpin (actually the approach, don't really know how he (she?) did it.

About 500-odd miles...
I assume that's an "English unit".
Maybe an idiom less common on your side of the pond? Note the hyphen tying it to the "500". Simple means "more or less". Reiterates the "About". Something of a neoplasm. Unnecessary. Redundant.

Sorry, didn't want to cause confusion, plenty of that around here without my help.
Sorry, it was plenty clear. Just a jest. Thanks for posting the videos...

Thanks for posting up the video, it brings back good memories. I rode Applecross during an Edelweiss tour of Scotland a few years ago. We rode over the pass first thing in the morning, then up the coastline and stopped in Shieldaig for lunch. The top of the pass was fogged in so thick that we were reduced to walking speed. Below the fog it was some of the best riding I have ever experienced. From Applecross up to Fearnmore and then down to Shieldaig the road is constant curves and elevation changes with hills on one side and the sea to the other. Highly recommended.

Looks like a blast! Cool scenery. How far from home is that for you?
About 500-odd miles, it would take about a day and a half to get there (we don't do 18-hour days
wink.png
.)
Unfortunately, it's not easy to simply decide to run up there. One of the biggest problems with Scotland is accommodation, you can't just turn up and hope to get a bed somewhere. We book months, sometimes a year in advance, at least for the nicer, out-of-the-way places that we prefer.
Odd miles? Hmpf....so taking out the even miles makes it around 250 miles then...got it!
mda.gif

Latest posts