A little nervous about my coolant.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
Ok, so I read several threads here as well as FJR Tech on coolant and the only consistency I find was phosphate and silicone free. There was some disagreement about Dex-coolant but it seemed to be regarding problems in cars that rarely changed their coolant. I will like change anually or semi annually. I went to the local hardware store and could find only one coolant (prestone Dex) that specifically stated that there was no silicone or phosphatase. There was one other premixed kind that was in a small bottle for a ridiculous price and it was a store brand so I chose the Prestone. Was rather disturbed to see it was orange in colour and the stuff that came out of the bike was green. Am I okay to use this stuff?

Ok, so I read several threads here as well as FJR Tech on coolant and the only consistency I find was phosphate and silicone free. There was some disagreement about Dex-coolant but it seemed to be regarding problems in cars that rarely changed their coolant. I will like change anually or semi annually. I went to the local hardware store and could find only one coolant (prestone Dex) that specifically stated that there was no silicone or phosphatase. There was one other premixed kind that was in a small bottle for a ridiculous price and it was a store brand so I chose the Prestone. Was rather disturbed to see it was orange in colour and the stuff that came out of the bike was green. Am I okay to use this stuff?
I believe this should be "Silicate" free.
I’ve used both Preston 50/50 Extended Life prediluted. Is Phosphate, Silicate, and Borate free, per their website. I just recently used Chevron brand Dex-Cool. Change it every two years, you can't go wrong.

FJRTech is a great resource for doing this (Warchild did a great job on this), I used it to do mine. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
any coolant purchased at a motorcycle shop with a bike brand is fine

I favor "Coolanol" because my independent shop owner races crotch rockets and also works on all local Goldwings.

He measured it's heat disapating performance with digital instruments and is convinced it's great stuff.

He also checked bikes with Engine Ice and Water Wetter and felt it was not as effective

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/125/7384/ITEM/Maxima-Coolanol-Anti-Freeze.aspx

2007_Maxima_Coolanol_Anti-Freeze_--.jpg

LOTSA...TOO MANY CHOICES TO CHECK OUT

Yep, lots of info and mis-info out there on coolant.

Rather then try to figure it all out, I just buy the Honda Pre-Mix coolant. Easy-peasy, no stress or wondering............

It seems the Canadian coolant is not labelled whether it is silicate free, and your only safe choice is the Honda coolant. Unless you want to venture into the US to buy (it does come from different manufacturing facilities).

I've never changed the coolant in my 03.

My 13 year old Ford Explorer has the original coolant in it as well.

Just thought I'd throw that out here...

It's well documented that coolant staying too long in the motor will do corrosive damage.
But hey, if it works no worries. In fact I'd never change any fluids, or do maintenance. Just sayin'. :huh:

Rather then try to figure it all out, I just buy the Honda Pre-Mix coolant. Easy-peasy, no stress or wondering............

If you buy Honda coolant @ a CAR dealer you may save big $$$ vs buying @ a BIKE dealer.

Ouch! I ain't no expeeert, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Stuff supposedly loses it's corrosion protection over time.

Does your Explorer have an aluminum engine?

I don't know what kind of engine my 2001 VW has, or what kind of fancy coolant the german's spec'd for it, but it is supposed to be 'lifetime' coolant as long as it is never changed or something like that. In 10 years, I have never messed with it. Funny, them same germans are real serious about flushing the brake fluid once every two years. Who knows.

There are specific products 'used' by your bike which are inside the coolant. One of the things is a coolant agent (go figure) but another important product is a lubricant which is used to lub the water pump. If you don't change your coolant, or not often enough, this will affect the pump and it will fail.

The only way this pump is lubed is from this coolant, thus if you don't change it,or wait too long well, might as well start looking for another water pump right now.

Been using Engine Ice in my last couple of bikes. Works great in these Texas Summers. :dribble:

When I owned a Yamaha Venture Royale I used the Dex or 5 yr stuff (pink)and experienced seepage of the water pump seal after the bike sat for a while. Went back with standard green stuff and leak stopped. Since then I have used the premixed green stuff in my FJR,s with no problems. It is a little harder to find now days but it is still out there. Auto Zone has it in there store brand. In my GM vehicles I use the Dex Cool with no problems. But I still think this stuff is prone to leak in vehicles not designed for it.

Psssst! Honda Pre-mix coolant. Easy to get, and it's the Dog's Danglies!

Just bought 6 quarts the other day.

U should be VERY cautious aboot what coolant you use!!!!! It may cause your engine to split apart!!

For shit sakes! whatever you do, don't use something people put in cars! Be safe and use only murdercycle recommended coolants!!! :eek:

I use Toyota red long life. none of the silicates or borate that eats up seals. Made for use in aluminum engines. Available at any Toyota dealer. Toyota makes the good stuff...I always say, Honda makes acuras, Nissan makes Infinitis, and toyota Makes Lexuses.