A minor "wouldn't start" discovery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
Gen III - specifically mine is a '13.

Turned key on. Panel came to life. Started cranking. Crank away, but it wouldn't start. Noticed the "Check Engine" icon showing. Discovered the key was actually BETWEEN"Off" and "On". Turned it all the way into the detent and it started right up.

So, there is a nebulous area between "Off" and "On" when part of the bike - but not all - is ready to go.

Just a tidbit to be filed away.

The ignition switch connects two circuits. Your "in between" had one of them on, the other one not. On the Gen-I that throws a code 19.

He didn't say there was no code, and he DID say he had a check engine light. I'm betting he has a code. Dunno if it's the 19 I got on mine, but he's got a code from it.

So that's not a reason for the self-evident superiority of the Gen-I. :)

I've noticed it's possible on my '06 to turn the key off, the engine dies, but the panel stays lit and it takes another hit to get the panel lights to go out, then I tried pushing the key in and turning it off. Bingo!

I will second this. It happened to me the other day. I had my ear plugs in and went to start the bike after eating lunch and it wouldnt fire. I noticed the engine light was on while I tried and was thinking wtf. I remembered this thread and checked the key, sure enough, not quite turned all the way. Clicked it over a fraction of an inch and she fired right up. Thanks to the op.
fan_1.gif
fan_1.gif

Last edited by a moderator: