A Month Without My FJR - Got Clipped

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those grass stains don't always wash out, she may need to buy ya some new gear too.

Glad you are Ok.

Yep - she's talking on her phone - called her insurance company and her parents. The weather is really nice here today and I have no appointments . . . guess i'll wander outside and kick the dog . . . . . again.
You get tired of kickin' the dog ...... we have 2 cats you could kick ....... just tryin' to help out here. :D

Glad you're OK though VH

Go Amerks!!!

Amerks had a decent season . . . That's my son in the avatar . . . 10 and he's a defensemen and plays nearly year round . . . it's a wonder I can afford an FJR

Growing up in West Irondequoit . . . Well then you must recognize St Paul Blvd . . . 1 block south of Titus Ave heading north . . . that's where the picture is from

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are OK VH. Hope you have it fixed soon. Don't want you to miss the Green/White Mountain Ride.

Tom

The teen is talking on the phone???
I'm amazed she's not texting all of her friends!!!

Perhaps that was the root of the problem? Maybe she was on the phone or texting. Without the aid of loud pipes (to save your life), you had to go to plan B and lay 'er down.

Glad you're OK and that the insurance is seeing you right (eventually).

Wonder if the young lady and all her friends will start looking for bikes in the future. If she has any conscience at all, her careless driving must have been a wake up call to her.

Glad you are OK VH. Hope you have it fixed soon. Don't want you to miss the Green/White Mountain Ride.
Tom

Tom . . . got it on my calendar . . . I'm guessing another 2 weeks before I get her back . . . I had to suffer through another 75+ degree day without my bike . . . the Yamaha delaer that I had my bike trailered to is also a Hardly Davidson dealer and of course there is a herd of those to be fixed in front of mine.

Tom

Tom . . . got it on my calendar . . . I'm guessing another 2 weeks before I get her back . . . I had to suffer through another 75+ degree day without my bike . . . the Yamaha delaer that I had my bike trailered to is also a Hardly Davidson dealer and of course there is a herd of those to be fixed in front of mine.

Yikes this is the most terrifying thing in this thread, a hardley mechanic working on a feej. :blink:

just a couple of things I would add, not just for you, but anyone involved in an accident and it is the OTHER PARTY'S FAULT.

1. diminished value claim

2. loss of use claim

I have been in motorcycle accidents twice. Once someone backed into me on the highway at a stop light. Yeh, that's right, they decided to back up. The second time, a lady was yaking on her cell phone at a stop light and took her foot off the brake and coasted into the back of my bike.

Both times the damage was reasonably minimal, under $2k for repairs, which their insurance paid. But I insisted on payment for every day for loss of use when in for repairs or while the bike was unridable (one of the two claims). Call a rental place that rents bikes similiar to yours and get a daily and weekly rate and the insurance company will pay you for that. It is called loss of use. They may want to negotiate that somewhat depending on the time involved, but make have them throw out the first number, not you and negotiate up from that. But know what true rental is, so you can negotiate from strength.

The second thing is diminished value. Would you pay the same dollar value for identical bikes, but one has been in ANY sort of accident? Unlikely. That is what diminished value is. Perfectly legal in most states to collect on that concept. The insurance company will insist you document it. Go on the web and google "motorcycle diminished value", and spend an hour or so reading up on it. For the second accident on my $15k v-star 1300, even though all they did was crimp the rear fender which had to be replaced, I got a diminished value claim for $1,200. So minus the about $100 it cost me to get the paperwork from the company that did the appraisal, I got paid net $1100. Plus in both cases, I got daily loss of use, one bike at $75/day, the v-star at around $100/day for the days in the shop.

I don't like being a hard ass about auto drivers. But by and large they need to be educated about motorcycles. A hard lesson and a big jump in their insurance costs due to a claim is the best education for them.

Hit me back and I can give you the company I used for diminished value if you want. They were professional, got right on it and got me money that I otherwise would never have gotten. Worth the about $100.