A Note about getting back on..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarFJR

URGNT
Reaction score
I rode in my teens and 20’s and almost pushing 50 I did get back on. I went and looked at bikes and always came back to the FJR.

I thought about maybe something lighter and smaller BUT always back to the FJR.

It started with a friend that had never rode a bike, but wanted to in the worst way. He shopped for bikes day and night and always chimed in about this one and that one. Never pulling the trigger. He did the rider course, lived in Boston and just needed a push.

So one day he is ranting about a Ninja 250, low miles and owned by a middle aged woman in the sticks of New Hampshire where live. I said do you want me to go look at it. He said yes.

I stop over and inspect the bike. Garage kept new tires and rebuilt carbs. In great shape really. So I buy it 1300 cash. Good thing I was 5 min early because an 18 year old with cash in hand showed up while we where shaking hands.

So I get on and start heading home. Stalls will not start and just plainly not going anywhere. Some drama, but I get it back to my place. I tell my friend I have bought it and it’s yours. Clean out the carbs with a tank of gas and some sea foam. Adjust a few other things and this Ninja is running like a dream.

I spent the summer 3 years ago with his bike in my garage and him coming up to drive it, learn it. Be safe on it. I am teaching him and building up his skills “I am riding it to” Finding why I loved riding. The thrills and adrenaline. Just everything everyone knows, how peaceful and in love with life you become. Looking at endless possibilities of more fun, rides and just plain joy that comes on a bike. And finally he came with a U-haul to take it home.

He moved on to an 80’s Honda Hawk. 600cc. this year. He thought I lost my mind when I told him I bought the FJR.”OMG that’s way to much bike” He will never be able to keep up with me on long rides on it but he bought a faring and a new seat for his baby. Someday he will get on my FJR. Right now he is not ready. He likes the naked light and fast bikes. Someday he will, then he will never get off the FJR.

As for me, I bought the FJR. Too much bike after all the years? To heavy? To Fast? The sales guy said it right. If you can control the connection between your right hand and the thing under your helmet you will be fine.

Everyday I become more skilled and aware rider. In my 20’s I didn’t think it was a good turn unless my knee was down and my ass was off the seat. Today I’m a geezer loving the ride. The bike handles like butter in my hands and someday soon there will be no ride to long for me.

To the form and the riding buddies I have meet, Thanks for everything. This site and the folks here share a passion. I am a lucky man to be part of the community. Best I can hope for now is riding into geezerdom with a few guys that lead the way!

Welcome back!

There are some others who've made the same leap. Some have enough self control and desire to be a good rider that they do fine with this heavy, powerful bike.

Enjoy it....and let your friend wonder!

I rode in my teens and 20’s and almost pushing 50 I did get back on. I went and looked at bikes and always came back to the FJR.

I thought about maybe something lighter and smaller BUT always back to the FJR.

It started with a friend that had never rode a bike, but wanted to in the worst way. He shopped for bikes day and night and always chimed in about this one and that one. Never pulling the trigger. He did the rider course, lived in Boston and just needed a push.

So one day he is ranting about a Ninja 250, low miles and owned by a middle aged woman in the sticks of New Hampshire where live. I said do you want me to go look at it. He said yes.

I stop over and inspect the bike. Garage kept new tires and rebuilt carbs. In great shape really. So I buy it 1300 cash. Good thing I was 5 min early because an 18 year old with cash in hand showed up while we where shaking hands.

So I get on and start heading home. Stalls will not start and just plainly not going anywhere. Some drama, but I get it back to my place. I tell my friend I have bought it and it’s yours. Clean out the carbs with a tank of gas and some sea foam. Adjust a few other things and this Ninja is running like a dream.

I spent the summer 3 years ago with his bike in my garage and him coming up to drive it, learn it. Be safe on it. I am teaching him and building up his skills “I am riding it to” Finding why I loved riding. The thrills and adrenaline. Just everything everyone knows, how peaceful and in love with life you become. Looking at endless possibilities of more fun, rides and just plain joy that comes on a bike. And finally he came with a U-haul to take it home.

He moved on to an 80’s Honda Hawk. 600cc. this year. He thought I lost my mind when I told him I bought the FJR.”OMG that’s way to much bike” He will never be able to keep up with me on long rides on it but he bought a faring and a new seat for his baby. Someday he will get on my FJR. Right now he is not ready. He likes the naked light and fast bikes. Someday he will, then he will never get off the FJR.

As for me, I bought the FJR. Too much bike after all the years? To heavy? To Fast? The sales guy said it right. If you can control the connection between your right hand and the thing under your helmet you will be fine.

Everyday I become more skilled and aware rider. In my 20’s I didn’t think it was a good turn unless my knee was down and my ass was off the seat. Today I’m a geezer loving the ride. The bike handles like butter in my hands and someday soon there will be no ride to long for me.

To the form and the riding buddies I have meet, Thanks for everything. This site and the folks here share a passion. I am a lucky man to be part of the community. Best I can hope for now is riding into geezerdom with a few guys that lead the way!

Keep loving the ride, you're doing great!! I too rode and owned many motorcycles when I was in my 20's, and then a 27 year hiatus! Three years ago I (responsibly?) transitioned back with a Kawasaki Versys, which I rode for 14k miles, and boy it was fun!! But what I really wanted was a Super Sport Tourer, and through a lot of research determined the FJR was the one for me! WOW! 16k miles later, and I'm convinced I made the right decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well put and welcome back!

You're in fine company here with a lot of old pharts senior members who have similar stories. Grew up on bikes and then for some reason let it go...only to find the enjoyment again. :)

Ride safe!

--G

Off to the NERDS run in a few days (22) I don’t think I have the right gear or the time in the seat to do the longer runs. Not that I could not do it. My biggest fear is holding someone back.

First rally jitters, but I have them.

I have seen Fred and Al (Guys I respect from this form) tear it up!

I would like to keep pace and hope I do.

Thanks Guys for the Getting back on. Words of encouragement

It’s like riding a bike just WAY bigger!

But, really I want to be riding almost always. My 300 Mile run Wed just broke the seat in!

I Am So Green

Remember that NERDS will divide into 3 skill levels. Try the middle group (+10 speed limit). This is my personal limit, especially since I'll be 2 up. If I find I'm holding up the group, I'll drop out and continue the route on my own. In that case, next outing I'll join with the +0 group. I suspect the fastest group will be primarily solo riders. Since I never ride any distance without Mrs. Pep, I don't have the solo experience pushing the bike's limits.

RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE!!

Ride safe.

Off to the NERDS run in a few days (22) I don’t think I have the right gear or the time in the seat to do the longer runs. Not that I could not do it. My biggest fear is holding someone back.

First rally jitters, but I have them.

I have seen Fred and Al (Guys I respect from this form) tear it up!

I would like to keep pace and hope I do.
My biggest fear is holding someone back.

Don't have this fear, ride your ride, if you fall behind that is OK, you will catch up. I am sure Fred and Al will not diss you for knowing your limitations. Matter of fact they should have nothing but respect if you do ride your ride

Willie

I was so going to post a 'Ride your own pace' comment but others have stated it more eloquently than I can. So I'll just remind you about the nut between the seat and handlebar...

If you even get a slight bit uncomfie with the pace, or feel even 6 inches off your desired line, slow it down and engage the brain. Jes' Sayin'..

I'm looking forward to meeting and riding with you!

Oh, your original post is a really good read - well written. :)

It may not be apparent, but when I lead I try to help anyone following ride their pace and I believe Fred does also. I ride with an eye always on my mirrors and watch what the person(s) following are doing. If a follower gets cut off when passing we will adjust the pace until they catch up. If it appears the follower can't keep up or is struggling with the pace we will adjust the pace. We have never lost anyone due to pace or accidents except once where a non-FJR rider stuck a wheel into a major road crack at low speed. The object is for everyone to have a Fine Day Out and get home safe. Tony got pinched off on a pass so we slowed the pace and did not continue to pass until he had an opportunity to catch up. Tony also showed good sense and did not pass unwisely trying to get back into the group. I was watching Tony the whole time and didn't let him get out of sight. As (if?) he continues to ride with us he will get familiar with our riding style which will help him anticipate what we may do in terms of speed, cornering and passing.

I will go on a Boys Day Out ride with friends where we all know up front that red line will be seen in all gears and if you are slow we will see you another day or at a later pit stop. I would not attempt that with someone that I haven't ridden with a lot and did not know what their personal performance envelope is.

Yup, riding and learning a lot about group rides. I am very comfy at a +10 pace. I have a lot of 2 up time with the wife. At that pace. When I solo I feel a bit better at pushing it a little bit more. But Sandy is still a passenger in training. I would never do anything to make her fear getting on the back.

Alan, you guys did and do show good lead skills. It is my pleasure to join all of you for Breakfast - Lunch runs. I had a great day on the last one. :D

As stated above by Pepperell and good advice I will be joining the +10 groups. Maybe next year for the Boys Day Out. :agree:

Hey Tiger!

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I've been doing something I try to avoid at all costs (work!!) but it caught up to me.

The way it (should) work in any group ride is that each participant watches for the rider behind them (not in front of them, to keep up). This way, if anyone has traffic problems or doesn't make a light, etc., it's never any worry. the whole group slows down until you can catch back up. Often, in really big group rides (not my favorite scenario) if I'm leading I will just pull over to the side and wait for the group to re-group.

You are right on the money. As you feel more comfy with your new ride you'll find it's easier to zip around here or there. But there is NEVER any excuse to ride over your head with a group. We've all probably done it, because of that pressure of not wanting to hold anyone up. But the risk is not worth the reward.

Ride your own ride. Always. No exceptions.

PS - You were doing just fine on our group ride and I'm absolutely sure you'll be fine at NERDS.

One tip: Try NOT to be the last guy in the group. It is much harder to be the last guy in a group than the first, because the group tends to be like an elastic band and stretch and compress along the way. Much easier to be up near the front where the pace is more steady and reliable. (That's the big reason I don't like long caravans of bikes)

See you and your wife at NERDS!!

Tiger, if you get the chance you should go to the Tech day and maybe learn more about you bike. Shiny side up rubber side down. That is all that really matters. Speed is for those who need it not for everyone. Like everyone has said, you ride your ride and not the guy in front of you. Like they use to say in Florida. ARRIVE ALIVE :) :) :) :)

Your story sounds just a little like mine. I sold my 78 GS1000 Zookie back in the spring of 80 while I was in my mid 20's. It was a long long time before I got on board a bike again. But not long ago, I got the itch again and decided to get another bike. I was looking at the V Max at a Yammie dealer one day and saw a used FJR there. I didn't even know what it was at first. I stood there looking at it for the longest time. Honestly, before that day, when ever I thought of bikes with saddle bags, my first reaction was YUCCKK. After riding a friend's older Goldwing, which handled like a giant hinge, had a weak engine and did NOTHING for me (can you spell B-O-R-I-N-G)... I had no interest in fairings or saddle bags. However, the more I walked around that FJR, the more my anti sport-touring prejudice just melted. After a half hour of looking at it and sitting on it, something happened to me. I didn't buy that bike as I felt it was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. My big question: could I be happy on a bike with (GAG) saddle bags? I began looking at them on line, checking prices and looking at pictures. Then I stumbled on this forum. That was it. I was bit. A couple days later (Aug of last year), I got a great price on an 05 w/less than 4k miles. Now that I've been the proud owner of an FJR for exactly one year, I don't know how in the world I ever got along WITHOUT saddle bags and that WONDERFUL fairing. I've been one happy camper ever since, not to mention the fact that I have learned sooooo much from the guys on this forum.

Gary

darksider #44

Funny how in a showroom. The FJR is a magnet among every other bike in there. And true this form is greeeerrrrat!

Off for my daily ride :yahoo:

One tip: Try NOT to be the last guy in the group. It is much harder to be the last guy in a group than the first, because the group tends to be like an elastic band and stretch and compress along the way. Much easier to be up near the front where the pace is more steady and reliable. (That's the big reason I don't like long caravans of bikes)
Precisely why I (me, moi, only my opinion) think it's better to split a large mass into more manageable groups of 5 or 6 bikes and ride to a shared destination (or lunch stop., break/rest stop).