Adding coolant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take care when replacing the cap. It's a plug type cap with a seal around the outside as well. It's very easy to crimp that outside seal on the back side where you can't see it and have a coolant leak develop there.

Where should the coolant level be on a cold engine?
According to the Owners Manual in the Periodic Maintenance and Minor Repair section, the Coolant page says that with a cold engine the coolant should be between the Minimum and Maximum lines. The page gives you pictures, arrows and numbers to support all the words.

If you don't have an OWNERS Manual for some reason you can view one online >>HERE<<

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason why someone should use Yamaha Coolant?

Also, the Yamaha coolant is 60/40? Does it matter?

Is there a reason why someone should use Yamaha Coolant?
'cause there's no auto parts stores or service stations where you live???

Also, the Yamaha coolant is 60/40? Does it matter?
I'd guess the Yamaha coolant costs twice as much as liquid platinum and it only matters if you feel REALLY good buying it??

Should I get the Dex-Cool or regular?

https://www.prestone.com/products/antifreeze_coolant/product_list#product-410

or

https://www.prestone.com/products/antifreeze_coolant/product_list#product-412

You can pop the rubber top on the overflow bottle and use a turkey baster something similar. I have a fuel filter I gutted and put a piece of rubber hose on so its like a funnel. I have done it many times and is a five minute job. You could also pop the radiator cap like bust said.
Ok thanks,it just pops off not unscrews? Also what do you recommend for coolant?
Make your life easy and just get some Prestone 50/50 pre-mix (the greenish yellow stuff) and add it. Some folks like the Honda 50/50 pre-mix. Never tried it myself, but Skooter G talks about it and he's ridden his FJR around the planet 25 times I think.

Aye Carumba! Just get the damn Honda pre-mix coolant and be done with it!

Are you talking about the blue stuff they use in the cars?

NO! It's green. It's made for motorcycles! It's NOT hard!

WaterPump009.jpg

The car stuff will crack yer block just like the car tire cracks yer rims...

Stay away from auto related shit on yer scoot.

You two so helpful! :lol2: :lmaosmiley:

Actually I prefer a Higher quality coolant Alan.. That stuff you show will corrode the internals

macallan_12.jpg

Back on track here. I use Honda Premix FJRski

Do not use Dex-Cool unless you've thoroughly flushed and are familiar with the risks. Use Prestone unmixed or 50-50 premix or Honda coolant. If mixing, max ratio is 60-40, but 50-50 is plenty good for freezing protection.

The importance of getting fresh stuff is for the corrosion inhibitors. BTW, I always add premixed, never just plain water.

Do not use Dex-Cool unless you've thoroughly flushed and are familiar with the risks. Use Prestone unmixed or 50-50 premix or Honda coolant. If mixing, max ratio is 60-40, but 50-50 is plenty good for freezing protection.

The importance of getting fresh stuff is for the corrosion inhibitors. BTW, I always add premixed, never just plain water.
+1 - In fact I do not even bother with any flushing with clear water or any of the other blowjob activities.

Just dump the old coolant and stick in the new stuff.

If you do it on schedule and don't wait too long there's nothing that needs "flushing" out.

The 25k mile valve check interval works out to be a convenient time since you need to drain the coolant anyway.

The 25k mile valve check interval works out to be a convenient time since you need to drain the coolant anyway.
I would tend to agree with that, however....... (I'm good at the 'however's)

Valve check interval is 27k, and Yamaha specifies coolant replacement (on a miles basis) at 16,000 miles.

I was just doing it at every valve check, every 27k or so because I was putting miles on so quickly that it was getting a valve check/coolant replacement every 9 months or so, even if it was over the coolant mileage interval.

These days, to save some coin on those expensive valve checks, even though I am still putting on 30k miles a year or so, I am extending my valve check interval to 30-32k miles and will do the simple coolant replacement you describe at the specified 16k interval that will be halfway between my valve checks. Fortunately, it's a relatively straightforward and simple procedure.

+1 - In fact I do not even bother with any flushing with clear water or any of the other blowjob activities.

Just dump the old coolant and stick in the new stuff.

If you do it on schedule and don't wait too long there's nothing that needs "flushing" out.

Right on, Brother Fred... no flushing desired. I have noticed that if you're real careful and maybe have a helper on standby, you can rock/tilt the bike sideways while on the centerstand and get that last half a cupful out of there... but only if you want to, no need to, IMHO.

I would tend to agree with that, however....... (I'm good at the 'however's)

Valve check interval is 27k, and Yamaha specifies coolant replacement (on a miles basis) at 16,000 miles.

However, coolant never wears out from mileage or use. Only from contact time of the liquid with the innards of the engine. So. regardless of miles driven I would shoot for ~ 2 years time.

And, in consideration that Yamaha has recommended a valve clearance checks to occur at 42k kilometers (aka 26.6k miles (how they came up with that number shall forever be a mystery)) and whilst I personally can't easily add in multiples of 26.6k, I can keep track of 5k's.

And furthermore since I am doing my own oil changes (at 5k mile intervals) and valve checks (which thus far have resulted in zero shim changes required) they will happen to coincide with every 5th oil & filter change.

However, furthermore, and in overall consideration that every 5th oil change and 25k miles valve check happens to fall at approximately bi-annual periodicity, serendipitously aligned witth my desire to ditch the coolant, based on my own mileage rate on the FJR...

it works for me. :p

Seriously, I encourage everyone to think about their own riding habits, mileages, and adapt your own maintenance schedules to that usage.

If somehow I was doing enough miles to warrant a valve check every year, yeah... I'd put the old coolant back in the bike every other time. Why not? It's still good.

I'd also possibly stretch the mileage between valve checks to 6 of the 5k mile oil changes (30 k miles) if that made sense for my bi-annual miles. The beauty part is that our reliable old steeds are way outside of any warranty, so what we do is completely our own decisions. ;)