Adjusting gear lash of balancer shafts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone adjusted the gear lash on their two balancer shafts? I've talked to a ST1300 owner and he told me that adjusting the balancer shaft gear lash is all the rage in the ST1300 community.

They're easy to access on the ST1300. And it seems that gear noise on the ST1300 can be greatly affected with this adjustment.

However, they are not so accessible on the FJR. Maybe the high frequency gear whine of the FJR is part of its charm.

I love that whir that gets accentuated in a turn....makes me think I'm on a jet fighter.

Ever ride the previous gen VFR? Lovely melody from the gear driven cams... Sigh, I miss my little red head. And, I wouldn't pay much heed to the ST crowd... The whine is prolly messing up their hearing aids or sumpin'.

I have 700 miles on my new 06 1300A. Soon after getting the 600 mile tune-up at the dealer, I noticed a high-frequency whine most noticeable between 1,500 and 2,000 RPM. It varies in pitch with the RPM, and can be heard while stopped and reving the engine. Maybe the whine noise was there before the tune-up, but I did not notice it. Is this the whine mentioned above, and is it "normal"?

FJR gear whine is normal. There are lots of straight-cut (spur) gears on the FJR. Spur gears make a lot of noise. The primary drive is a spur gear interface between the crankshaft and clutch housing. Both of the balancer shafts use spur gear interfaces -- one with the crankshaft and the other with the clutch housing. The balancer shafts turn at twice the speed of the crankshaft. The transmission is full of spur gears.

The designers of the FJR probably weren't concerned much about gear noise. It's also likely that spur gears are cheaper to manufacture.