Adjusting the Handlebars.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeman

Reaction score
How do you adjust the handlebars on the FJR? It says there is 3 postions, however have a Yamaha dealer do it for you. I should be able to do it myself.

I put mine to the full-aft position after reading the posts that have already been cited above - took all of about 5 mins total. Can't imagine what the dealer would charge for that, but my guess is too much...

Was it worth it? Well, for me, moving the bars back gave me just enough room so I didn't have to hump the tank to be comfortable on the bike (I'm kinda short). Whether it works for you really depends on your dimensions, and what your preferences are for riding style etc

Griff

I just moved mine to the rear holes.....took maybe 5 minutes also. Haven't rode it yet.

It makes a small difference, easy to do so you don't lose anything trying it. Don't know why Yamaha says to let a dealer do this.

Like the others say, this is an easy mod to make. IIRC, in Wicked Webby's discussion, there was a heated debate about whether you completely remove the handlebars or just remove the bolts to slide them forward together. Mine simply slid forward once the pin cleared its hole.

In my case, it also helped to experiment with the seat height when making these adjustments. I wanted a little more forward lean, so I raised the seat and moved the bars forward.

I just adjusted my handle bars (towards the rider) and have not had a chance to check it out. Once the rain stops I’ll be on it!

I just did this adjustment. The steps I followed were:

1) Remove the caps

2) Left side

- fully loosen the allen bolt underneath the cap

- loose the 17mm about 3/4 of the way

- lift the bar and move it as needed, the slip the pins back in the holes

- tighten the allen and the 17mm slightly, just enough to keep the pins in the holes and the bars in place

3) Right side - repeat steps a->d above

Note that because the bars are never completely loose or out of my hand, there no 'protecting the tank' or 'worry about bubbles in the clutch/brake' issues

4) Both sides

- tighten allen bolts and 17mm nuts gradually, alternating sides

- then tighten allen bolts and 17mm nuts *tight*

5) Reattach caps

Tool: 2.5mm allen, 6mm allen, 17mm socket, extension and ratchet

Time: 5 minutes

Skill level: Beginner (with good attention to detail)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is important that you do both at the same time. I tried to just do one side first, but they are linked underneath and can't be adjusted separately.

It is important that you do both at the same time. I tried to just do one side first, but they are linked underneath and can't be adjusted separately.
NOW you tell me! ;)

First time I did it I took the handlebars off and did each one separately, it was a pain in the neck! Now that I've done it a few times (added riser blocks, moved those forward and back to try different settings), it's become a lot easier. I'm a strong proponent of leaving the handlebars on and just loosening the bolts enough to allow the pins to clear. Being able to use the handlebars as levers helps tremendously.

To the original question, moving them back helped me some, but total satisfaction required adding bar risers.

I just moved mine to the rear holes.....took maybe 5 minutes also. Haven't rode it yet.
I'm curious how much the adjustment actually moves he handles back. 1/2 inch? or more/less?
If you look at the pics on the Wicked Webby link, you can see that it isn't a whole lot of adjustment. My bike came with the bars in the middle, I assume this is standard. The adjustmen allows them to go what appears (never measured...) to be a little over a quarter inch forward or back, so maybe a little more than a half inch in between the farthest positions.

Not much, but it is amazing what a difference the little bit makes!

i moved mine back about 3 weeks ago. it's hard to believe that moving the bars that little could help so much. since i've moved them my hands havn't went numb yet when before after 15mins they would start tingling. i was going to go with the helibars but now i don't think i need them.

i moved mine back about 3 weeks ago. it's hard to believe that moving the bars that little could help so much. since i've moved them my hands havn't went numb yet when before after 15mins they would start tingling. i was going to go with the helibars but now i don't think i need them.
I'm still new to the bike, but moving the 'bars to the back position helped me a lot. However, The angle still isn't quite right--I need them more in the direction of a 'straight line', not a '90 degree angle', but not sure by how much. Having them raised up a bit wouldn't hurt either. My understanding is that the risers take care of both of my issues, but I'm going to ride at least a couple of months before I decide if it's truly needed or not.