Adventures in the Wild Wild West - a Triple Ride Report - Red Lodge, NAFO, HW3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Tyler is remodeling her kitchen, zzzip may be next
wink.png
That can be arranged... I'm sensing a big replacement of appliances there. :D

Are you doubting my journalistic integrity, or just my reliable sources? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
you might as well wait so you can combine the next NAFO. what's the rush now, right?

and when I say that..... I actually mean "oh please, Tyler, finish this so I can gaze upon beautiful pictures while reading some fantastic writings done by you!!!!"

Just to prove Puppychow and his "sources" wrong (alternate facts, perhaps??
wink.png
) and to keep Julie happy, here we go...
wink.png

A month without my bike was worth it so I could get back to Colorado and attend NAFO... picked up my bike from Justin’s house in Colorado Springs and headed out to meet up with Gregory and Michelle and a few other known criminals along the way... Justin suggested I take a spin through the Garden of the Gods and it was a very good suggestion indeed... it was early and I pretty much had the place to myself...

20160728_075320_resized-X2.jpg

DSC_1458-X3.jpg

The day was starting out well and I found my friends waiting for me at the chosen gas station and we were on our way!

IMG_5599-X3.jpg

Can you tell Gregory has ridden with me before and knows what that thing is that I’m pointing over my shoulder??

IMG_5601-X4.jpg

Colorado as become one of my favorite places to explore... and it was only just beginning...

IMG_5603-X4.jpg

We pulled into Buena Vista and waited for the rest of our motley crew for the day... these two polite young gents asked if I would like my windshield cleaned... I felt it would be rude to say no and decided to support these two enterprising youngsters who weren’t afraid of a little hard work... and they did a fine job!

20160728_101359_resized-X2.jpg

We decided to walk across the street to get some grub... I was in charge of bringing Beemerdons back to the FJR clan so he got to share the meal with us...

20160728_110759_resized-X2.jpg

It was CNN (Chow News Network), and NPR (National Puppy Radio).

Also, reverse psychology always works. Glad it could get you off your butt and work on the RR.
punk.gif

Love the Garden of the Gods.

Up, up and away we went headed for the Continental Divide via Independence Pass...

IMG_5605-X4.jpg

IMG_5611-X4.jpg

IMG_5613-X4.jpg

IMG_5618-X3.jpg

And Uncle Hud joins the waving crowd...

IMG_5620-X3.jpg

It had been quite warm down in the lowland but as we climbed in altitude, the temperature did the opposite and actually got quite cool... there was a line of visitors to get their shot for a photo opp at the sign at the top... I had wanted to walk out to get a view on the other side but started to get a little dizzy at that altitude so settled for the sign...

20160728_233543_resized-X3.jpg

And then it was down, down, down... out of the cool air and back down into the heat...

IMG_5621-X3.jpg

Lots of traffic on the way down...

IMG_5630-X3.jpg

But the scenery was gorgeous so we enjoyed it along the way...

IMG_5631-X4.jpg

All the ducklings in a nice line...

IMG_5641-X3.jpg

We traveled through Aspen but I wasn’t impressed with the town... I imagine at one time it was a cute little town but it was congested and crowded and hot... no photos because it really wasn’t that interesting! We gassed up in Hotchkiss and doused ourselves with water as it was 104 degrees and decided to just head for the barn...

We arrived in Montrose and found many of our FJR friends who had already arrived and were in fine form in the parking lot...

IMG_5647-X2.jpg

I don’t know if anyone heeded this particular sign, but let’s just say there was a good deal of imbibing being done...

IMG_5657-X2.jpg

Lots of tire kicking...

IMG_5651-X3.jpg

And general frivolity...

IMG_5652-X3.jpg

IMG_5654-X3.jpg

A few weren’t quite sure what to make of it all...

IMG_5656-X2.jpg

I unloaded my gear, freshened up (what is it about a shower after a long day’s ride... just so invigorating!), and a group of us headed to the Mexican restaurant next door where there was a major bromance going on... get a room you two!!

IMG_5663-X3.jpg

Back to the parking lot for more chit chat and libations before hitting the sack and dreaming of new places, faces, and adventures for the next day...

IMG_5664-X3.jpg

Next up... Million Dollar Hwy at last!!

She's on a roll, folks!!!!

Looks great Tyler!!!!! Been looking forward to this RR since August. lol.

Wow! Keep it coming, Tyler! Gorgeous pics, as usual, and you're previewing some of what I have had routed a couple years now and hope to ride in '18!