Adventures in the Wild Wild West - a Triple Ride Report - Red Lodge, NAFO, HW3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the riders were checked in and through tech inspection so Lydia and I decided to go for a little drive. I had the list of bonii and decided to choose a few to visit and take some pics of the area... Colorado has come a close second as my favorite state (my home state of California will always be first!)... there is a plethora of different types of terrain in any direction you go... mountains, lakes, and waterfalls one way, desert and amazing rock formations the other...

DSC_1820-XL.jpg

Today’s destination was Lands End at Grand Mesa... there are two ways to get there... one is (mostly) paved and then there is a twisty dirt road that comes up from 50 (FR1051A)... we chose the paved route given we weren’t familiar with the unpaved version so didn’t know what was in store... off we went via 70 to 65/Grand Mesa Scenic Byway...

DSC_1951-XL.jpg

Past Alpine meadows...

DSC_1841cr-XL.jpg

DSC_1839-XL.jpg

Then stellar views as we climbed in elevation...

DSC_1855-XL.jpg

Then a right turn towards Lands End... which starts out paved then there’s about 7 miles of dirt before becoming paved again... it hadn’t rained recently so the road was in good condition and easily passable in any vehicle...

DSC_1862-XL.jpg

DSC_1919-XL.jpg

DSC_1920-XL.jpg

We were both pretty quiet as we drove along... mostly out of awe for the surrounding beauty of the area...

DSC_1866-XL.jpg

DSC_1871-XL.jpg

DSC_1873-XL.jpg

DSC_1878-XL.jpg

And then we broke out into an open plateau as we neared the visitor’s center...

DSC_1886-XL.jpg

DSC_1909-XL.jpg

However, the visitor’s center was pretty much non-existent... there was a building but was all boarded up and there was no one to be found...

DSC_1906-XL.jpg

DSC_1907.08%20pano-XL.jpg

So we poked around and took in the views...

DSC_1892-XL.jpg

DSC_1898-XL.jpg

And found a furry friend begging for a handout...

DSC_1903-XL.jpg

Remember the twisty dirt road I mentioned earlier? This is it... I will go back for this on the bike!

DSC_1914.15%20pano-XL.jpg

We backtracked to 65 and continued east to see what we could see...

DSC_1928-XL.jpg

Took a break at Island Lake...

DSC_1932.33%20pano-XL.jpg

DSC_1930-XL.jpg

DSC_1935-XL.jpg

And then made our way back to the hotel for dinner...

DSC_1942-XL.jpg

DSC_1947-XL.jpg

DSC_1957.58%20pano-XL.jpg

Great food put on by the hotel and folks chatted before getting final instructions from the rally staff...

DSC_1961-XL.jpg

DSC_1993-XL.jpg

Lots of first timers to the rally...

DSC_1979-XL.jpg

Erik and Josh Mountain (nicknamed “Nutjob” in the IBR several years ago... :lol: ) swap stories...

DSC_1972-XL.jpg

And I stepped outside in time to catch a killer sunset...

DSC_2017-XL.jpg

The rally started the next morning at 6am but folks were in the dining area getting a little breakfast before heading outside to make last minute adjustments and ready themselves for the journey ahead...

DSC_2035-XL.jpg

Even though it was really early, everyone seemed to be in good spirits...

DSC_2039-XL.jpg

DSC_2043-XL.jpg

DSC_2066-XL.jpg

DSC_2073-XL.jpg

Wendy and her crew... :wub:

DSC_2045-XL.jpg

One of the many varied cockpit setups...

DSC_2091-XL.jpg

Lotsa lights...

DSC_2054-XL.jpg

Last minute stretch...

DSC_2090-XL.jpg

On your mark...

DSC_2096-XL.jpg

Get set...

DSC_2103-XL.jpg

GOOOOOOOO!!!

DSC_2104-XL.jpg

DSC_2108-XL.jpg

Except for one newbie... who forgot to gas up the night before... :lol: ... yes, he got no end of ribbing for that one!!

DSC_2132-XL.jpg

But he kept a good sense of humor about it...

DSC_2130-XL.jpg

The staff waving their “babies” off on their way...

DSC_2133-XL.jpg

With the riders out in the wind, Lydia and I headed for Colorado National Monument... when I first saw the sign for this place, I thought it was a statue or museum or something... nope! It is a national park and it is pretty spectacular... we got there before sunrise so as the sun came up, we were gifted with this in the east...

DSC_2145-XL.jpg

DSC_2148-XL.jpg

it lit up the rock formations with a golden-orange glow in the west making the red dirt almost glow...

DSC_2160-XL.jpg

And the moon was still up too...

DSC_2166-XL.jpg

We had the place to ourselves at the time of the morning so we took our time taking it all in...

DSC_2164-XL.jpg

DSC_2171.72%20pano-XL.jpg

DSC_2175-XL.jpg

DSC_2191-XL.jpg

Coke Ovens Lookout...

DSC_2195-XL.jpg

Monument Canyon...

DSC_2207-XL.jpg

Independence Monument...

DSC_2212-XL.jpg

Birdie...

DSC_2213-XL.jpg

Rounded a corner and there were a bunch of these guys right on the side of the road...

DSC_2218-XL.jpg

This place is awe-inspiring on so many different levels... if you get the chance to go, do it!

More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
We then headed for the Sega Canyon Rock Art Site... caught Chris Purney on his way out so I knew we were headed in the right direction...

DSC_2221-XL.jpg

DSC_2232-XL.jpg

We looked at the hieroglyphics and wondered who put them there, what were they seeing, and how they got up so high to create some of them... space aliens perhaps? Kinda eerie...

DSC_2237-XL.jpg

DSC_2227-XL.jpg

DSC_2236-XL.jpg

File under “Seen Better Days”...

DSC_2261-XL.jpg

We then headed for Moab, bypassing Arches this trip as we’d both been previously and wanted to see some new sights... this is Dewey Bridge, or what’s left of it... it had been the second longest suspension bridge until it was destroyed by fire in 2008 (this photo courtesy of Wikipedia)...

Dewey_Bridge_Fire_4-06-2008.jpg

And what it looks like now...

DSC_2269-XL.jpg

DSC_2274-XL.jpg

DSC_2288-XL.jpg

View on the other side of the bridge...

DSC_2293-XL.jpg

Kayakers enjoying the day...

DSC_2290cr-XL.jpg

And then a delightful drive down 128... grandeur abounds!

DSC_2300-XL.jpg

DSC_2302-XL.jpg

DSC_2306-XL.jpg

DSC_2310-XL.jpg

DSC_2316-XL.jpg

We pulled over further down the road to get a photo of the river and formations around it when all of a sudden I heard this rumbling sound that kept getting louder and louder... I thought it might be a train but there were no tracks anywhere... then it burst out into my view roaring along over the river... a big ass helicopter!! Not sure if they were on a training mission or what but it was an impressive bird to see for sure...

DSC_2322-XL.jpg

DSC_2323-XL.jpg

We continued on our way heading for Potash Road Dinosaur Tracks near Moab... pretty drive out there...

DSC_2340-XL.jpg

DSC_2344.45%20pano-XL.jpg

And we got to where the tracks were supposed to be and looked... and looked... and looked... but couldn’t find them... I saw a sign with a photo on it that helped direct you to where you could see them...

DSC_2334-XL.jpg

Which looked like this when I stood there...

DSC_2335-XL.jpg

So I zoomed the camera all the way in and this was what was there... I was little underwhelmed...

DSC_2336-XL.jpg

Back on the road and a quick stop here... have ridden past it a couple of times but this was the first time I stopped...

DSC_2353-XL.jpg

DSC_2363-XL.jpg

Lots of fun stuff to look at... we decided to forego the guided tour and instead just walked around... lots to look at...

DSC_2358-XL.jpg

What a buncha bull...

DSC_2357-XL.jpg

How many remember this ride?? If you do... you’re old!! :D

DSC_2356-XL.jpg

We had picked up some munchies for a picnic lunch and found what must be the cleanest, greenest, and nicest rest stop I’ve ever seen...

DSC_2367-XL.jpg

DSC_2368-XL.jpg

Then off to Bedrock, CO via 90... one section had a whole bunch of these strung together...

DSC_2372-XL.jpg

Via from a vista point...

DSC_2379.80%20pano-XL.jpg

Not a whole lot in Bedrock but it was fun to check out the buildings and views too...

DSC_2395-XL.jpg

DSC_2394-XL.jpg

DSC_2400-XL.jpg

DSC_2402-XL.jpg

DSC_2404-XL.jpg

A different kind of hieroglyphic...

DSC_2416-XL.jpg

And then on to Hanging Flume, constructed with wood and secured together with iron rods and fasteners to allow for mining in the area... more info and history here if you’re interested...

DSC_2431-XL.jpg

DSC_2432-XL.jpg

What it looks like now...

DSC_2418-XL.jpg

DSC_2419-XL.jpg

DSC_2420-XL.jpg

DSC_2423.24%20pano-XL.jpg

And then back to Grand Junction via 141...

DSC_2434-XL.jpg

Even though we were in the cage, Lydia was still having a grand time...

DSC_2437-XL.jpg

Probably my favorite view of the day... I just stood there taking it all in...

DSC_2445-XL.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the rally staff was watching the riders via Spot tracking and making sure everyone was doing okay and be there for support if needed...

DSC_2459-XL.jpg

DSC_2473-XL.jpg

The staff had dinner and then we all hit the sack to get ready for the riders rolling in the next morning and afternoon... after conferring with Justin to find an area that I might be able to catch some of the riders on the road, he directed me toward 139 toward Rangely...

DSC_2483-XL.jpg

So we drove out and found a good vantage point and it turned out to be a good recommendation... we hadn’t been there more than about five minutes before they started humming by...

DSC_2492-XL.jpg

DSC_2494-XL.jpg

DSC_2506-XL.jpg

DSC_2552-XL.jpg

And then everyone really started to roll in to the finish mostly with big smiles on their faces...

DSC_2599-XL.jpg

DSC_2608-XL.jpg

DSC_2630-XL.jpg

DSC_2644-XL.jpg

DSC_2653-XL.jpg

DSC_2655-XL.jpg

Two-up technology...

DSC_2612-XL.jpg

Carnage...

DSC_2622-X3.jpg

DSC_2588-XL.jpg

DSC_2573-XL.jpg

Tess had fallen of the hotel bed and proudly showed her Mama the war wound...

DSC_2592-XL.jpg

Notes from another planet...

DSC_2623-XL.jpg

DSC_2673-XL.jpg

And then into the scoring room...

DSC_2580-XL.jpg

DSC_2711-XL.jpg

DSC_2730-XL.jpg

DSC_2746-XL.jpg

Would you like fries with that?

DSC_2727-XL.jpg

Scoring completed and time to celebrate while waiting to hear the results at the banquet... some chose to celebrate inside...

DSC_2760-XL.jpg

DSC_2762-XL.jpg

And some weren’t done with the open air just yet...

DSC_2769-XL.jpg

DSC_2770vt-XL.jpg

And then the big banquet... lots of smiles all around

DSC_2797-XL.jpg

This guy was awesome... it was his first rally and he was like a kid in candy shop...

DSC_2802-XL.jpg

In case you were wondering how Josh got his nickname...

DSC_2842-XL.jpg

The top three... :rad:

DSC_2849-XL.jpg

No wait... THIS is the top three once Erik was able to wrench it away from the rallymaster...
laugh.png

DSC_2848-XL.jpg

And a big “HI!!” to our friend, Maura, who had a deer strike in the middle of the night and wasn’t able to finish the rally... she was okay but the bike not so much... but we were glad she was okay cause bikes can be replaced... people not so much!

20160821_190224-XL.jpg

And we close down another successful rally and the third installment in this ride report... hope you’ve enjoyed the fun, the sights, and the people and I look forward to sharing much more in the coming year!!
cool.png

FIN

(WHEW!!!
cool.png
)

Absolutely like! I had Hwy 128 on my radar the last time I was up there, but it didn't work out. That one gets added to the YFO tour as well!!!

Wow, I kept seeing this pop up and finally got into it where you picked it back up. Two hours later I'm saying good job as usual Tyler, some stunning photos and narrative. Thanks

Wow, I kept seeing this pop up and finally got into it where you picked it back up. Two hours later I'm saying good job as usual Tyler, some stunning photos and narrative. Thanks
Thanks for joining in the fun, Kev... and to everyone else who patiently (well, mostly... :lol: ) stuck with it... takes a ton of time to put these things together and I still have EOM to do!! B)

Tyler !! Thank you
smile.png
smile.png

An exceptionally colorful ride report in soooo many ways !!
punk.gif

And thanks for the Bristlecone Motel in Ely - we'll be using that one soon.

Thanks for joining in the fun, Kev... and to everyone else who patiently (well, mostly...
laugh.png
) stuck with it... takes a ton of time to put these things together and I still have EOM to do!!
cool.png
Patients hardly ever pay the full amount..
tonguesmiley.gif

Thanks for joining in the fun, Kev... and to everyone else who patiently (well, mostly...
laugh.png
) stuck with it... takes a ton of time to put these things together and I still have EOM to do!!
cool.png
Patients hardly ever pay the full amount..
tonguesmiley.gif
Looking forward to seeing you in Yosemite, Sammy... I think I have something for you.
whistle.gif