AE????????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over 30K on my AE, and I would do it again. I love this bike.

As other have said picking the front wheel off the ground is not an issue. However, for me it seems to happen when I don't want it to, such as cutting across trafic while making a left turn from a stop sign.

If you get a 06 or 07 plan on getting a power commander and a G2 throttle tube. The results are amazing.

Before I bought my '07 did some research and this guy had wrote an artical in one of the road bike mag. (he was a harley cruser all his life). Had nothing but good to say about the bike. Said this could spoil a guy real quick. Took a little getting used to shifting for me. after around 100 miles... no prob.

We are on a 10-day 2-up ride with the wife and we are having the time of our lives. This bike is excellent at slow speed and I could do a slow speed solemn course riding 2-up no problem. I often wonder, should I have got the 1300A, or the 1400 Connie, the 1300ST. Nope, I would get the AE again.

In all honesty, the only control issue I have is if I do a tight turn at low speed with the clutch fully engaged. If you slow, the clutch will suddenly disengage and leave you leaned over with no drive. You have to learn to slow enough BEFORE the turn to let the clutch disengage, then apply sufficient throttle and a little back brake to control the speed.
Heh.

That sounds very familiar. The first couple of times I ran into that, I felt like my AE was trying to kill me.

It's just one of those little technical features you have to learn.

I hope you aren't basing the decision on the 0-60 in 1.5 comment. That was in jest of course. But it is a great bike.
Yeah, that's just ridiculous. The actual time is WAY more than that. Like 3.4 seconds or something. Crappy, anemic power...bike only goes 100MPH in 3rd gear.

:rolleyes:

Before you spend your money spend some time with the AE at parking lot speeds and judge for yourself if the extra $$$$ is really worth it. This is my 2nd AE and if I did not have issues with my left foot I would not spend the extra money. If you spend much time on your bike you really owe it to yourself to find out first hand if the AE is the bike for you and if it's worth the extra money.

I, like most AE buyers, did not go looking for something so radically different. As I shopped, I found dealers confused about the product and rather than educate the consumer, they went to a deep discount to move floor product. The more my friends see the bike in action, the more they comment on how they wish they could enjoy the F1 Formula type fun shifing.

End Result, A ton more technology at a cheaper price.

No right or wrong answer, if you think it's for you.... do it, other wise you'll always wonder,,,,,,what if I could have been one of the AE riders!

It took about 1/2 a tank of gas to get used to it. Actually, yesterday, I finally surpassed my clutch skills with the AE. I found a "magic" acceleration rate that made an extremely smooth ride when shifted just right with a little reverse throttle blip. I'm still on my first tank of gas.

I've abandoned the foot shifter all together. I learned it is way easier for me to do all my shifts with my index finger instead of using my thumb for down shifts.

I have no issues riding twisties with other sport bikes.

I would defiantly buy another if given the chance.

I've abandoned the foot shifter all together. I learned it is way easier for me to do all my shifts with my index finger instead of using my thumb for down shifts...
Same here. I like using just my index finger since my thumb is sometimes busy with other things (lights, turn signals, etc.) My left fingers are used to moving around when I shift gears anyway so it's not like they are taking on extra work.

My commute is 84 miles round trip daily. While I don't usually ride in the rain, I have been caught in many a downpour on my route. I'm amazed at the overall stability of the bike in inclimate weather. I'm sure that would be the same on the "A" model, so it's not a real "AE" selling point, but here's one...I'm not the least bit worried about the bike's resale value. When its time to get rid of this bike, I'll be trading it in on another "AE".

DUDE.... 07' AE @ a stop light 0-60 in ~1.5 seconds, and I wasn't even trying that hard.
Were you counting the seconds slow motion in your head? A stock Hayabusa or ZX-14 would have to be struck by lightning to hit 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds so I'm going to have to say that is definitely not acurate. Just keepin' it real . . . :ph34r:

DUDE.... 07' AE @ a stop light 0-60 in ~1.5 seconds, and I wasn't even trying that hard.
Were you counting the seconds slow motion in your head? A stock Hayabusa or ZX-14 would have to be struck by lightning to hit 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds so I'm going to have to say that is definitely not acurate. Just keepin' it real . . . :ph34r:
+1

Let's add one more facet to the equation...

Think of it - no clutch lever.
This is great potential for some classic double takes. :ermm: I sometimes group ride with people new to me, I love to drive with my left hand in my jacket pocket in stop and go traffic.

One time I rode with a group of vets parading across town to a war memorial in a city park. Lots of flags mounted to their V Twins. I pull up on my Fej, open my trunk and pull out my collapsable flag pole. No time to mount it to the bike (yes I do have a spot to put it), I hold it with my left hand. Stop and go, slow and go, parking lot maneuvers, that tends to turn a few heads.

I think it's cool! :thumbsupsmiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
While on my trip this summer, I was gassing the bike up after we had checked into the hotel for the night. This guy noticed I was from a few states away and started asking about our trip etc. It was real obvious he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so as I was getting ready to take off I thought I would have a little fun with him. I mentioned that the bike had performed flawlessly, and the only trouble we had was that the clutch lever had fallen off a couple of states back. I sure wish I had the camara to get the look on his face as I rode off. I'll bet he is still scratching his head over it.

I bought my new 2006 AE about 3 months ago. Same story as others - it was sitting at the dealer's and they couldn't move it. I got a great deal on it. It took almost no time to get used to it. I've now put about 5k miles on it and love the bike. Really, the automatic shifter isn't even a factor any more. It's the great handling, speed, and good ergonomics that make this a great bike. I still have a couple of older BMWs that I ride, and it's no problem going from one to the other.

I have a little different story than those saying they were not looking for one. When I heard the FJR had an autoclutch I knew it was the bike for me. Not because I can't ride a bike without a clutch (I own 5 different bikes) but because I like technology. The AE is super impressive and I would buy again in a heartbeat. I do on occasion reach for the clutch and sometimes forget to reach for the clutch on my clutched bikes though. Going from a clutched bike to a autoclutch and back and forth you can see why. If you get it you won't look back, that's almost a guarantee.

I've abandoned the foot shifter all together. I learned it is way easier for me to do all my shifts with my index finger instead of using my thumb for down shifts.
I have no issues riding twisties with other sport bikes.

I would defiantly buy another if given the chance.

I need to add to my previous comment.

I've abandoned the foot shifter so completely that a few times I've forgotten to hit the over ride button for the hand shift then take off hard.........pretty embarrassing going for the second gear shift that doesn't happen. :glare: Wish i could figure out a way to just keep the over ride on full time.

Last edited by a moderator: