aerostich roadcrafter color

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my second 2-piece Roadcrafter because I crashed mine last fall (and walked away unscathed). I used to have black w/grey ballistics now I have black pants and a blue jacket with black ballistics. Just bright enough to clash with the black cherry color of my FJR but blends well with my silver and black 600. I don't wear it when it's hot and humid but use it regularly with my Gerbings down into the single digits. Nothing beats it's convenience for commuting. I've not experienced 'damp-crotch' syndrome from it leaking but perhaps that's peculiar only to the 1 piece suit.

<snip>I got the ultimate compliment when I met another rider in North Carolina last summer. I was applogizing about the fading and he said a faded Aerostich is a sign of a serious long distance rider.
I got a compliment, too, in the rural mountains of North Carolina when the gal tending the cash register at the gas stop said (of my hi-viz Roadcrafter), "Yu'all look just like a bumble'ee-bee."

'oldaxe': Oh I almost forgot the most annoying aspect of the "Stich". The general public will always ask "Aren't your hot in that"?
Yep, in northern latitudes they often ask why you're wearing a Snowmobile Suit. :blink:

in 10 years, i've owned 5 'stich suits--red, blue, blue, hi-viz yellow, hi-viz yellow. the first three were replaced due to my getting married, hitting late-30's, and therefore increasing in size (went from 38R to 44S). the first hi-viz yellow did its job in a low-side, i made hte mistake of having too many keys in too many pockets, and got torn up. ridewearhouse gave me 10% off the replacement suit as it was beyond what they felt comfortable about repairing. i've owned both 1- and 2-pieces, and feel i'm a pretty good person to comment on 'stiches; i've also owned a teknic jacket and pants.

i'll agree the red and hi-viz yellow do fade faster than other colors, but they still retain most of their color for years. i will also agree that the hi-viz yellow shows grease spots, but my experience of owning ones for the past 3-4 years has been that's only on the shin and inner lower leg area. regular washing as directed works fine for other dirt.

if you're worried about what you look like to others, you might not want to consider a 'stich.

'stiches may not breathe as well as some suits, and may not be as water-resistant, but i didn't buy mine for that alone; i bought it for its abrasion resistance in a daily-wear suit; and in that respect i believe it is still king. if you want supreme protection, get some dainese or z leathers; if you want ultimate water-resistance, get some frogg toggs; the 'stich is as close as you'll get to both.

i won't own a black 'stich for regular season use, as it just seems that thing would be hotter than blazes, but i'm only speculating. wearing light cotton clothes under your suit seems to make a huge difference in hot weather.

i've gotten all but my last 'stich used, and will continue to keep an eye out for used ones, with a priority for hi-viz yellow.

final recommendation is to opt for the hip pads. i really don't understand why elbow, shoulder, and knee pads are standard, but hip pads are not. they're all points that are likely to take a hit in a get-off.

hth.