AGirl's 2009 "FJR Fall Full Circle"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Arkansas perspective, looks like you're planning on taking the I-40 slab across the state. May I recommend getting up into the Ozarks and cut across thru the mountains as opposed to the slab following the river valley? might slow you down a little bit, but, just sayin....

That looks like quite a trip!

If, by some chance, you decide to drop down through Wisconsin instead of heading around the other side of the lakes, I'm sure there's plenty of us CFO people who can help you choose a route (hwy 33 through Wildcat Mountain is always fun, in fact hwy 33 is just plain fun).

I'm surprised you're not going to take a jaunt up to Kansas to get a national park stamp there, that would be the only state left that you can get to by motorcycle (unless you count strapping a Busa motor to a pedal boat...)

Are you planning on getting tires somewhere along this trip,?

Thanks so much for all the support. Anyone who spends time on the road knows it means a LOT. As far as answering the questions I've rec'vd....

*I'm running Avon Storms and really hoping for 7k out of the rear. This will require significant right hand restraint while in areas that beg WOT. Ugh. :worriedsmiley:

*I knew when I posted the map I'd probably hear a protesting bark or two from those who reside away from the route. How 'bout I hit ya'll next spring?

*The route from TN back to the Valley of the Sun is very time sensitive as my friend who is riding my other bike back from Nashville has limited time... or perhaps we'd detour to Canada. Oh, as for you Canucks, I rode Parc de Saguenay and the Gaspe Peninsula earlier this summer so you haven't been "jipped". I've got a pocketful of Toonies I'll be returning to you soon.

*You Yoopers plan for a brief respite when I'm rolling through; if there is a mosquito in a 50 square mile vicinity of my location is will find me.

*Got a GPS coordinate on that steak in NY??

*Answer to the most unusual PM that borders on TMI.... I'm 5'11, 145lbs, boots 44, gloves 10/XL, jacket medium/long. :blushsmiley:

*SoCal crew, you're on... count me in for your next winter shindig. Seriously, if there is a tech day, please let me know. I'm all for learning more and keeping my bike's needs in my own hands.

*As for the ignition warranty work, I've chose Roseville (CA) Yamaha. Yes, I'm detouring to have them do it. (I'd rather push the bike off a cliff than turn my bike over to the monkey wrenches around here).

*Whoever posted re the KS stamp, dang, you're on it! Yes, it's my nemesis. I'd detour over to get it but refer to first comment above. :(

*Cost for this upcoming adventure? I'll say that the cost of NOT doing it is far greater and leave it at that. Do you have a guarantee of a tomorrow? The saddest words I hear from folks is "When I retire..."

*Re Virginia... I'll probably do the BRP for the zillionth time (seriously, I went to UVa). Only planned stop at this point is Charlottesville.

*EOM.... I'll have to pass on what sounds like good times as I have a commitment to go camping w/the 86 year old family Matriarch during that time frame. Who knows, maybe I can convince her to go hang out w/a bunch of bikers instead? :lol:

*My auxillary lights are "Moto Lights". No, I'll not be listing a packing/gear list, but suffice to say it includes items I don't normally carry on motorized two wheels such as extra para-cord, water filter, Counter Assault Bear Spray (the latter is required in one place I am hiking).

*Regarding Texas.... (that's my FJR by the star)

TX-exit880-3.jpg

:shout: ...my least favorite sign in North America (aside from "No Passing" and "Radar Detector Illegal") would be this:

TX-exit880-2.jpg

No offense to Texans, but 880 miles of wide open nothingness dotted with hoofed-rat infested areas isn't exactly riveting stuff. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the support and well-wishes. I'm rolling out tomorrow (Fri) morning... let the journey begin! :yes2:

AGirl

Last edited by a moderator:
*As for the ignition warranty work, I've chose Roseville (CA) Yamaha. Yes, I'm detouring to have them do it. (I'd rather push the bike off a cliff than turn my bike over to the monkey wrenches around here).
Excellent choice, AGirl. Zac, Dean and their mechanics are the very best. Hit Pete (the sales mgr.) up while you're there for a tee shirt -- he likes to have serious riders wearing a free shirt with their logo on it; another good guy and rider at R.Y. who's happy to shoot the breeze with you about riding, gear, touring and motorcycles.

Just yesterday, I got my '05 back from them with the tick banished and a new cam chain and CCT. All on Yamaha's dime, done right, down to the details -- and even avoided the valve lash inspection/adjustment charge that would otherwise have been due at this mileage. While it was in, Zac got me a great price on repainting my side cases (from too much abuse) and top box (which had its sides painted in Galaxy Blue since I inadvertently bought it new in silver in '05) from the body and paint shop next door that he uses regularly.

Always wondered about your 96150 address**. I lived in SLT and Gardnerville from '04 - '06 and spent a lot of years in the decades before that on the north shore.

Have a great and safe trip -- will look forward to your ride reports, as usual.

** [SIZE=8pt]I mean -- IF you're ever there, I'm pretty sure that there are a number of us from the NorCal riders contingent (including RogDeb) who'd love to have you join us on a loop ride through the Sierras.[/SIZE]

Thanks so much for all the support. Anyone who spends time on the road knows it means a LOT. As far as answering the questions I've rec'vd....
REMOVED MANY LINES OF WORDS AND SOME PICTURES HERE

Thanks again for the support and well-wishes. I'm rolling out tomorrow (Fri) morning... let the journey begin! :yes2:

AGirl
Dang! If you ride like you post, you won't have any trouble with this trip. Talk about packing it in!

I'm pretty sure that post violated the Information Density rule. You must now make 3 pointless posts that contain absolutely no useful information. I recommend finding an oil/tire thread in NEPRT. :p

(Another rule predicts a very high chance that the last sentence of the first line of my response will end up quoted in bold and made into an off-color remark. Let's just hope someone beats Bust to this one.)

Here's wishing you a wonderful trip!

Been meaning to update this - the last few wks have been jam packed with memories. Not sure where to begin, so how about with my two favorite Rancho Cordova forum members: :D

FSac-RogDeb.jpg

(Thanks, Rog & Deb!!!)

Rog and his FJR:

0-RogFJR.jpg
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

(He is wearing special prototype footwear that is not available for public viewing) :p

Had the warranty work done at Roseville (CA) Yamaha as scheduled. I was told they have done 44 total FJRs (for the ignition work). The lead tech "Aaron" had a personal appt the day I rolled in, so "Mike" worked on my FJR. He said it was his 3rd FJR ignition. (Ironically, dude just graduated from MMI in Phoenix in January):

FSac-Yama-Mike.jpg

Let it be known that if you are running a farkle (such as a GPS mount) that requires removal with an SAE tool you better bring your own... no such animal can be found at Roseville ("we only do metric"). This includes allen wrenches. Thank goodness I had the tools needed!

FSac-Yama-mytools.jpg

All seems to have gone well with the warranty work, thankfully.

Since then I've spent time covering significant miles by 2 wheels as well as 2 feet in Lake Tahoe, Lassen Nat'l Park, Lava Beds Nat'l Monument, Crater Lake, Grand Tetons, & Yellowstone. Spent the better part of this past week riding and hiking in the Absaroka-Beartooth (WY/MT) area, while basecamping at one of the best dispersed sites I've ever had on the FJR (along the Beartooth Highway)...: :yahoo:

2-1aGCG-tent.jpg

...and last night I was joined by another FJR (and forum member "FJReady" from MA): :thumbsupsmiley:

7-GL-Russ.jpg

7-GL-Russ1.jpg

This morning he left for Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, & Grand Tetons (where I'd come from last week); I'm currently in Minot, ND working my way over to doing the Lake Superior loop (Thunder Bay Ontario), hopefully after some fishing in MN. Also planning to meet another FJR forum member or two soon.

A zillion other pics and detailed reports can be found: HERE. Thanks again for all the support. :thumbsup:

AGirl

Been meaning to update this - the last few wks have been jam packed with memories. Not sure where to begin, so how about with my two favorite Rancho Cordova forum members: :D
Rog and his FJR:

0-RogFJR.jpg
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

(He is wearing special prototype footwear that is not available for public viewing) :p

[/url]. Thanks again for all the support. :thumbsup:

AGirl
AAggghhhhh -- a dork on 2 wheels :rolleyes:

Got totally sucked into your site and adventures, AGirl. Incredible journeys and amazing sights. Thanks for sharing!

Barry

I think I just found another website to look at when I'm supposed to be working, awesome pictures and reports AGirl. Keep up the great work, and stay safe out there.

Agirl,

I have enjoyed following your incredible journey thus far.

Pick up one of these for 20 bucks, it will make your matriarch happy!

Joby Tripod

My wife and I used it extensively on a long trip to Europe. Beats asking people to take your picture all the time.

Looking forward to more.

Regards,

Davy

I think I just found another website to look at when I'm supposed to be working, awesome pictures and reports AGirl.
Ditto here! Guessing by the start of this thread, your trip is over by now (or did you just keep going ;) )? Guess I'll have to go surf your site a bit more to find out! :clapping:

Things have been pretty quiet over at AGirls site. My guess is she's busy with a stack of maps, putting together her 2010 itinerary. I hope so at least. Few can match her riding, writing and photography skills. She rocks!