Airhawk vs airhawk 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don2334

Reaction score
I have been looking at old forum post about the airhawk seat cushions. I can't find any discussions comparing the airhawk 2 $100 to the airhawk at $170. also their site recomends the small for the fjr with stodk seat but most of the old posts recomend the medium cruiser. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to go with? I'm planning to go from Montana to star days this year and to Seattle but other than that most of my rides are in the 2 to 300 mile range.

Don

I just installed the Airhawk Cruiser Medium on my Gen2. It fits perfectly. Sorry I can't give you more of a review than that since winter is still in control around here and riding days are scarce.

pete

I have been looking at old forum post about the airhawk seat cushions. I can't find any discussions comparing the airhawk 2 $100 to the airhawk at $170. also their site recomends the small for the fjr with stodk seat but most of the old posts recomend the medium cruiser. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to go with? I'm planning to go from Montana to star days this year and to Seattle but other than that most of my rides are in the 2 to 300 mile range.

Don
I just googled airhawk, and found a site that started by saying that the number 1 question from bikers is yours!

The original, more expensive, is made from repairable material and is also more comfortable for the long ride.

(www.airhawkseatcushions.net)

We (my wife actually, looking for some additional comfort)tried the AirHawk at the start of last season. Only took a few rides and she decided it wasn't for her.My Corbin is well broken in now and seems fine by itself although I've considered beads or sheapskin. :D

Don
I will not ride without my airhawk (one)

I understand the version two is too make it cheaper with less sticker shock and to reduce how much higher the rider sits (thinner).

My IBA ride as well as one day 800mi from Nawlins' to NC rides are possible and made much easier with an airhawk aboard.

Medium Cruiser 14x14"

YMMV

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned above, I just got the Airhawk Cruiser Medium on my Gen II. I got the Airhawk from Aerostich along with some other stuff. After about 50 miles I think I don't like it. It is quite comfy and maybe I'll get to like it on a longer ride. What I don't like is the way it responds to shifting body position. When I shift my weight from one cheek to the other, like when putting a foot down at a stop or when cornering, the Airhawk has a lag as the air moves through the air chambers from side to side. I find this feeling unsettling. The instuctions are clear about over-inflating the cushion and I gradually reduced the air until I was barely bottomed-out (pun?) when sitting straight but when leaned to one side, the air moved out from under. I just never got used to the feeling that I was attached to the bike by a slow-acting rubber band. I'll give it another try but in the meantime I have been using it as a lumbar support in my favorite chair and my wife likes it in her car.

BTW, I tried a gel pad on my last bike and didn't like that either. Like sitting on a slab of liver. So maybe it's just my super-sensitive cheeks. Sorry, no pix available. :huh:

pete

"So maybe it's just my super-sensitive cheeks. Sorry, no pix available."

pete

I'm OK without seeing pictures of your cheeks!

This was great info all, I too am on the search for a more comfortable seating arrangement. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet some day and buy a real seat instead of a band aid or quick fix.

I bought the 11x14 pillion air hawk for my passenger who complains of sore bum and a sharper knee bend as compared to my former Concours C10. We have not yet tried it out, winter don't ya know. Anyone else's passenger voiced similar complaints? your solution? Will the air hawk work?

As I mentioned above, I just got the Airhawk Cruiser Medium on my Gen II. I got the Airhawk from Aerostich along with some other stuff. After about 50 miles I think I don't like it. It is quite comfy and maybe I'll get to like it on a longer ride. What I don't like is the way it responds to shifting body position. When I shift my weight from one cheek to the other, like when putting a foot down at a stop or when cornering, the Airhawk has a lag as the air moves through the air chambers from side to side. I find this feeling unsettling. The instuctions are clear about over-inflating the cushion and I gradually reduced the air until I was barely bottomed-out (pun?) when sitting straight but when leaned to one side, the air moved out from under. I just never got used to the feeling that I was attached to the bike by a slow-acting rubber band. I'll give it another try but in the meantime I have been using it as a lumbar support in my favorite chair and my wife likes it in her car.

BTW, I tried a gel pad on my last bike and didn't like that either. Like sitting on a slab of liver. So maybe it's just my super-sensitive cheeks. Sorry, no pix available. :huh:

pete
the key is to run with less air then you think...the lowest point of your ass should be 1/8" off the seat when floating on the pad...not at all a feeling of any kind sitting on a balloon

I hang off, throw a knee down, etc with some, but little effect from the pad. I do know another peep who purposely removes his when riding fast twisties all day and not touring, but I don't

Those guys manufacturing the Star Cushion need some serious marketing on their product. I found very little info on the internet about it but enough to purchase one about a year ago. I think MCN or someone else compared it to Hawk and the others and showed there was no contest. Never use it anymore since purchasing a Russell Day Long. Make me an offer on it if you're interested but first do the same research I did and I think you'll be a believer.

Acquired the new R model not long ago. It works really well, so far. Havent gone on any really long rides yet but when I do, will report back in. So far up to 70+ miles one way, no complaints.

Have a small on the way the 1st more costly one $129.95. Got to be better for the numb ass after 100 miles with the stock seat.

Have a small on the way the 1st more costly one $129.95. Got to be better for the numb ass after 100 miles with the stock seat.
Just to add to the pool of info, I bought the first generation Airhawk just in time for EOM, the medium sized one. It fits my Corbin seat perfectly...I mean perfectly. I can say, without a doubt, that it finally solved my seat problems. I know it's not a solution for everyone, but for me, it allowed me to do a 12 hour ride back from EOM without any complaints from the rear end at all. It did not interfere with my fun in the twisties either, but I could imagine if one were to not have it adjusted properly, it could be a problem.

I'm one of those that now thinks an Airhawk just makes a bad seat a little less bad. I had one and it made the stocker a bit less annoying, but a custom seat that fits properly is worth the expense IMO. I just rode a couple thousand miles on my Russell and not only didn't my ass not hurt in the slightest...I didn't notice the seat anymore than I noticed my elbow or left pinky didn't hurt either.