Alaska possible on FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are going to drive 7500 miles on a 650 when you have a FJR? You have two weeks. At that pace you will melt that bike. I saw them up there being repaired, all kinds a problems. If you have camping equipment the bike is weighted down. If you really want to run the two or three roads up there that need dual sport, why no just rent one in Fairbanks for a couple of days. I ran 20,000 last summer and the only problem I had with the FJR is it kept useing gas. Some tires also.
That is a really good point. I guess I thought that any newly designed bike should be able to handle 5-600 per day with the proper lubrications.

Ok guys, can you give me a list of the best roads that will take me to central Alaska via the FJR?

I still like the idea of using the ferry because it would allow my wife to join me in AK on the return trip. She would love it.

-Alex

What ever way you go you will have fun just taking it all in.

As said by others before get the "Mile Post".

Not all gas stations up North in Bc, Yukon, are open 24 hrs.

Early June I hit snow on Teton Pass and a bunch of rain in Montana, and parts of BC.

A good antifog shield is nice.

I am not sure if this is still true, last time in Canada they didn't accept Discover card. I had a Visa card that worked.

You may also want to convert enough US money to Canadian.

Also while up there my card had a stop put on it, till I called my bank to let them know I was in AK and using it. If your card is through a local bank you may give them a heads up.

I have read that pass ports have been extended to 09, but also some said that Canada was still asking for them. Some one here may have the answer to that one.

Between Summit Pass and Muncho Lake I was still riding at around 12:00 AM and there was a shit load of moose all along the road. I am glad there was still light.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I somehow convinced my wife that I NEEDED another bike. I'm picking up a Green 08' KLR on Saturday. I'm looking forward to making my own aluminum cases and various guards. I'll keep you guys posted on the route we would like to take.

Feel free to give me ideas/recommendations on the route.

Thanks!

Well I somehow convinced my wife that I NEEDED another bike. I'm picking up a Green 08' KLR on Saturday. I'm looking forward to making my own aluminum cases and various guards. I'll keep you guys posted on the route we would like to take.
Feel free to give me ideas/recommendations on the route.

Thanks!
Congratulations Alex! You'll really enjoy your KLR, my '06 has faithfully served me well. Green Ones Are The Fast Ones!!!

Unless you are planning a lot of off road driving - take the FJR. I made the trip last summer (June/July) on my FJR and I would not think twice about doing it again. Our trip took us up the Alcan Hwy to Whitehorse. Then to Dawson City, Chicken and on to Tok, Ak. Lots of dirt/mud roads here, but no problems covering this section on the FJR. Rode around Alaska (Fairbanks, Anchorage, Denali, Valdez to name a few places) for over two weeks, but did not want to ride the "haul-road" to Prudoe Bay. The locals told many horror stories about that road! $3000 tows for breakdown on the "haul road" to $800 replacement tires for flats - no thanks! On the roads we did ride on, there are quite a few sections of road being repaired - thus loose sand and gravel. Use commen sense in these areas and you will be alright. Except for the road to/from Valdez, we never covered the same major road twice. Boarded the ferry in Skagway for tip down the inland channel to Bellingham, Wa. If you can do the same - take the ferry ride! It's worth it. All in all, I think the difficulties of riding to Alaska on a motorcycle is way overrated. If you have ever ridden I-80 between Sacramento and Reno, you've already ridden on roads a lot worse than any Alaska road - even the dirt roads! Don't push it - enjoy the ride, and you will have a fun, safe trip.

I live in Alaska and I own an FJR. No issues, mate. Hope you get a chance to make the trip, on whatever bike you choose to ride. As others have said, use common sense on the gravel and you will be fine. I did a ride report last month on the trip from Anchorage to Juneau via Whitehorse that had a lot of gravel in it. No reason not to do it on an FJR - in fact I felt as secure on the FJR as I did on my Tiger. Go for it.

This is probably way outdated, but thought I give my 2 cents.

This is probably way outdated, but thought I give my 2 cents.
Not outdated, and thanks for the reply. Actually I'll be leaving in 2 weeks on the trip. So far the route is Grand Island, NE (home) to the Black Hills, hooking up with my brother on his inferior BMW GS and heading to Glacier. From Glacier we will travel through Banff and Jasper NP's on our way up to Anchorage. We will then be traveling to Purdhoe Bay and back down on hwy 2 on our way back to Nebraska. We are going to ride a different route back that hasn't been mapped out yet.

Here is a p.m. I sent to Alex - I'm sure he won't mind if I share it here:

I’m jealous of your trip. Sounds great. My three comments on your route:

(1) Be prepared to bag the Prudhoe leg. I’ve driven the haul road a couple of times in 4 WD pickups. If it is raining a lot the road gets quite slick. Also it is very narrow in some places. The main difference from all the other roads in Alaska is the truck traffic, though. The combination of wet, narrow, and big fast trucks can make it a bear. Just use whatever local intelligence you can get as you proceed. Even if you don’t make it to Prudhoe, the drive as far as Coldfoot and Atigun pass is spectacular.

(2) If you can, the Denali Highway is a must. It is dirt but I spoke to a few riders who came across it in June and they all said it is in great condition. The views are among the best. If you have fishing and camping gear, you could easily spend several days poking along there.

(3) Try to do the Top of the World Highway between Tok and Dawson Creek. It is a beautiful road, mostly paved. The Yukon River crossing is fun and funky. Dawson is a cool town with lots of historical mining stuff to check out. You can take a little side trip up the Dempster Hwy (but be careful of flats - the rocks on the Dempster are sharp slate).

(4) Then the ride between Dawson and Whitehorse is some of the best motorcycle road you’ll find. Big sweeping turns, good pavement, and nice views along the Yukon River. The only downside is the migration of RV’s, but after a while they turn into a white blur on your right.

Watch for moose and bears in the road. You’ll have a blast.

Great info Paulie. Thanks for the post! I did not receive the PM for some reason though.

I will try to work those areas into the route if they are not already there.

My brother and I will not be the only ones going. I also have a good friend from work with a Earthroamer XV-LT. He will be hauling my KLR behind him on the way up. (that will be my backup) We will not exactly be roughing it as planned. We plan on riding the whole way and using the EarthRoamer as basecamp for exploring areas every evening, as well as our personal shelter and Bar n' Grill ;-)

If time allows we plan on doing some fishing in Canada on the way back.

Alex,

There was some additional information in the pm about my decal order. I resent that a few minutes ago. If you don't get it feel free to email me on [email protected].