Alaska possible on FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I'm debating on going along with my brother to Alaska this year and am wondering if it is even possible to take the FJR, or will I need to get a KLR or such dual sport bike? We currently have FJR's but he is definitely taking his KLR on the trip and I'm asking for your suggestions. The trip should cover 6-7000 miles, 2 weeks long, and during the first part of July.

I don't want to spend much more than 5-6K on another bike when I currently can't ride the FJR as much as I would like.

I've read some testimonies of others going to Alaska and they say that the paved roads are sometimes worse than the dirt roads. I really don't feel like beating the hell out of the FJR if I don't have to.

TIA

-Alex

It's just like asking if it's possible to ride in FJR in Nebraska. I-70.....no problem. 47 miles of dirt road in the rain? Would you?

So it goes in Alaska or other places. If you're riding between cities on paved and maintained highways that show up on maps as thicker lines....then no problem. However, if you want to run the Haul Road to Deadhorse and it starts raining.....you would probably regret not having something with knobbies.

...and I should note that I haven't been to Alaska, but would go if a rally bonus were worth enough. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm debating on going along with my brother to Alaska this year and am wondering if it is even possible to take the FJR, or will I need to get a KLR or such dual sport bike? We currently have FJR's but he is definitely taking his KLR on the trip and I'm asking for your suggestions. The trip should cover 6-7000 miles, 2 weeks long, and during the first part of July.
I don't want to spend much more than 5-6K on another bike when I currently can't ride the FJR as much as I would like.

I've read some testimonies of others going to Alaska and they say that the paved roads are sometimes worse than the dirt roads. I really don't feel like beating the hell out of the FJR if I don't have to.

TIA

-Alex
No personal experience (yet) on Alaskan roads. Some guys have done it on their FJR. I wouldn't. You can get a KLR cheap, it will go further on a gallon of gas, and be more comfortable on the rough stuff with the longer travel suspension. They hold their resale pretty well, so if you buy a low mileage used one (tons of these around) and unload it after the trip you won't be spending much. Why beat up the nice feejer when you don't have to?

also, KLRs aren't tho only answer. Keep your eyes open and maybe a BMW F650 or something else in the same class will come along.

Last July, I rode my '05 FJR up the Alcan to Watson Lake in the Yukon, then down the Cassiar Hwy. to Hyder, with no problems. The Cassiar had a lot of gravel sections totaling around 110 miles, and the Alcan is always under construction in the summer, but if you slow down on the bad sections you shouldn't have any problems. Precautions like a tire kit, compressor, and a first aid kit are essential whenever you're out in the boonies. You'll also need good rain gear, and some way to deal with the mosquitoes. I used my Widder's a lot.

As Iggy mentioned, the Haul Road is too much to ask of an FJR.

It's just like asking if it's possible to ride in FJR in Nebraska. I-70.....no problem. 47 miles of dirt road in the rain? Would you?
So it goes in Alaska or other places. If you're riding between cities on paved and maintained highways that show up on maps as thicker lines....then no problem. However, if you want to run the Haul Road to Deadhorse and it starts raining.....you would probably regret not having something with knobbies.

...and I should note that I haven't been to Alaska, but would go if a rally bonus were worth enough. ;)
That's what I'm afriad of, if we want to head of the beaten trial or the GPS lies to me ( never happens :rolleyes: ) I want to have traction.

Ohh I think you meant I-80. I-70 is KS, just as boring none-the-less.

No personal experience (yet) on Alaskan roads. Some guys have done it on their FJR. I wouldn't. You can get a KLR cheap, it will go further on a gallon of gas, and be more comfortable on the rough stuff with the longer travel suspension. They hold their resale pretty well, so if you buy a low mileage used one (tons of these around) and unload it after the trip you won't be spending much. Why beat up the nice feejer when you don't have to?
also, KLRs aren't tho only answer. Keep your eyes open and maybe a BMW F650 or something else in the same class will come along.
Good points. The reason for mentioning the KLR is because a friend of mine is a Kawi dealer and his out the door cost for me is 5K. I'm open to suggestions on other bikes and will keep searching.

Good points. The reason for mentioning the KLR is because a friend of mine is a Kawi dealer and his out the door cost for me is 5K. I'm open to suggestions on other bikes and will keep searching.
Yeah, you certainly can't beat the initial outlay on a KLR. And considering that, the operating costs are due to be low. But I owned one (a 2005) and it just didn't do it for me.

But there are all kinds'a crazy deals to be made on the used market. The small adventure type bike do attract a lot of first time buyers who then find it isn't all the thought it would be. As you can see in my sig, I have an Aprilia Pegaso now (about the same bike as a BMW F650) and that is a whole lot better riding bike than a KLR, IMO. If I were doing it again, I'd probably try and find a BMW version as the parts are easier to come by. I'm the 3rd owner of my Peg. The 1st two rode it a total of 4000 miles.

I think you'd be perfect on a KLR, Not too much for ya...... :rofl: I could keep your "old" bike to bum around on while you're gone . . . .

Having lived in and travelled on almost every road in Alaska, I would have no hesitation to take my FJR up to a bit north of Fairbanks and anywhere south of there. There will always be some pieces of construction going on but will never pose a major problem. The Haul Road, however, is mostly gravel, and can be potholed and very dusty. Actually the best way to travel the Haul Road is in winter when the holes are filled with ice and there is no dust, but alas, that would be no fun on a bike since it gets very, very cold up there. If you have the luxury to have a second bike, a dual sport would be great but it won't be as comfortable and won't have the power you want for the 90% of the trip when the roads are fabulous.

{{...and I should note that I haven't been to Alaska, but would go if a rally bonus were worth enough. }}

Iggy! Whats up with the necessity of points to see Alaska? Surely there is enough of an adventure there without points.

Iggy! Whats up with the necessity of points to see Alaska? Surely there is enough of an adventue there without points.
When your vacation are rallies.....not so much time left for far-away riding pleasure. However, I still pondered Homer and other bonii on the way when I looked through the Leg 2 Bonus List. One of these days the risk-reward ratio will tip to me traveling there. ;)

I've driven the Haul Road up to the Yukon River Bridge in a Suburban. My recommendation would be to save the FJR for the blacktop and rent a dual sport in Anchorage for the trip.

https://carotidbattery.com/Default.aspx

Above is a link to a guy that did it on the FJR and he blogged the entire trip, including photos, videos, gps pictures, and his writing. Ive read the whole thing a few times and this is where I got the idea to blog my honeymoon ride. Youll have to go back to june of last year in his blog, thats where his journey begins.

So yes you can do it on the fjr...but i do recall him not enjoying the dalton highway...and being surprised he didnt wreck. check it out.

drew

Depends on where in Alaska you're going.

Two friends just did Dallas to Prudhoe Bay last July. One was on a Strom and the other was on an ST1100. The outcomes for both bikes were basically the same.

They got REALLY dirty and most of their farkles vibrated off on the Haul Road.

The FJR should have no problem.

Just about every bike imaginable has been on the Haul Road. Most make it, some don't. Be assured of this: You will beat your bike to hell if you off-road it. I've been on 25 - 30 miles of an unpaved, gravel/silt/rutted road once. It sucked. Royally. That's why I bought the Strom. As others have said, if it's all pavement, you're good on the FJR. If you plan any amount of time on unpaved roads, plan on more suited bike.

I think that much of this is based on the personality and experience of the rider. Those that ride only on sunny days and tend to go thru a lot of Q-tips and small brushes when cleaning their bike and fret over the smallest scratch are not likely to want to take their shiny bikes on dusty, rough gravel roads. Those that splash a garden hose over their bike once or twice a year and are curious about whats around the next corner, whether the road has nice pavement or not, are likely to be OK with riding their FJR's all the way to Deadhorse and deal with the loose parts later.

Kind or reminds me of the folks in my n'hood that have the big, very clean and shiny, Hummers or Yukons, etc. and never, ever have any real use or knowledge of the 4x4 capability or clearance of the vehicle. I saw a guy with a scratched and dented Hummer a couple of years ago and went out of my way to meet him and congratulate him for putting it to its designed use.

Alaska is not just possible on your FJR but highly recommended!

Just my humble opinion.

I am with twowheelnut, YooperDick and drew231506! You could certainly ride your FJR up the Haul Road. But why do it?

I have ridden a Harley-Davidson Low Rider and a BMW R80RT up the Haul Road, I worked up North as a union pipefitter.

But the reality is there just isn't any valid reason to subject yourself and your really nice machine to such a brutal beating.

If you were on a true dual sport the Haul Road is a piece of cake! But on our 635 pound FJR's it will be a real ball buster.

Hard on you and hard on your beautiful FJR. The rest of the North, except for the Dempster Highway, is made for our FJR's.

For what it's worth, I've my Kawasaki KLR650 for sale here on our site. Not available until 2/19/08; a new BMW on the way.

Wow guys, thanks for all the great suggestions and comments!

I really like the BWM F650, espically for the wife who wants to get into riding. The low seat height (for my wife), fuel injection and possible ABS are nice. I'm just having issues finding a decent used one for under retail of a new one :blink:

I also kicked around the idea of taking the FJR to WA then getting on a Ferryboat up to AK. Hell, it would cost close to 2K to do that twice. I don't want to be stuck on a boat for 6 days either ;)

Don't discount the boat idea. I have done it a couple times and it is an amazing ride and views you can't get anywhere else.

No one has asked but everyone is assuming.

Are you planning on going up the Haul Road, or even to Chicken?

If so then I would think of a DL 650. I prefer a twin over a single, and the larger fuel tank is nice.

If you are hitting the main towns, on the paved roads you would most likely enjoy the hell out of the FJR. especially going through BC.

You will see Harleys all over Alaska and Canada, Goldwings, BMW LTs, etc.

I agree with Bikerskier.

Here is the bike I road to Alaska.

th_juneautrip051.jpg
th_juneautrip058.jpg

The Fjr would be a lot more fun.

Latest posts