Albuquerque International Ballon Fiesta

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilli

Reaction score
Anyone interested in getting together a ride to the Ballon Fiesta. Or some of the New Mexico riders setting up a meeting place with out of towners going to the Fiesta? Just a chance to meet some of the forum members maybe take a ride thru Jemez Springs over to Los Alamos or something.

It's the 1st full weekend in October.

04.jpg

Balloon Fest

RW0115.jpg

That Saturday is also one of only two days a year when you can go into ground zero at the Trinity Site on White Sands Missle Range. It's where the first Atomic bomb was tested.

20blst.jpg

aerial.jpg

Trinity Site

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! that would be so cool. I wish I could get away to do that. But its the same weekend as SFO so I still wouldn't be able to go. But that does look cool!

I think I'll stay away from any areas where atomic bombs have been detonated. "Ballons" look fun, though.

Dwilli,

As a long-time Abq resident (since '78) I can tell you that hotel/motel reservations are going to be really difficult to get with less than a month to go. We get huge numbers of visitors in for the Baloon fiesta and people stay as far away as Santa Fe. Traffic that week is horrendous with many out of towners and out of state visitors having no idea where they're going. Not a good time to be riding a m/c around town. The morning mass ascensions start at dawn so to get onto the launch field you've got to ride/drive down there around 5am.

I don't want to discourage you from coming. Just to give you a "heads up" about the conditions you'll encounter.

...............and watch out for that radiation stuff......pretty nasty, I hear.

...............and watch out for that radiation stuff......pretty nasty, I hear.
Actually the radiation level at Trinity site has declined to normal. The sand that got melted into glass, now called Trinity glass, does have some increased radiation but not enough to worry about unless maybe you ground it up and ate it.

Negative on the nagasaki sites for sale but I guarantee ya that the owners of them geiger counters ain't of indian decent.