Almost dropped the new '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdw4321

Reaction score
Parked the new '08 yesterday.

Put the sidestand down.

Got off.

Next thing I knew the bike was falling towards me.

I was just barely able to keep it from going over.

After settled down, I realized that I had parked on a slight downhill. But just slightly. It never would have been a problem on my last bike (Honda cruiser). Lesson learned. I'll be more carefull next time. I'll also think about leaving it in gear next time.

Yep, ya gotta watch that stuff -

my .02 worth, I always park in gear, and roll the bike forward (or backward, depending upon slope) so that there's no play in the drive train before I lean it over.

The FJR sidestand is very happy to fold up for you when you don't want it to.

Be Safe !!

Glad you didn't drop it. A few people have done some grinding to the side stand to allow it to move forward a bit more. If you consider this, take it slow, a little goes a long way in changing the angle and allowing the bike to lean over more.

I simple make a point of looking at the side stand and giving it a second nudge with my toe to make sure it's forward all the way before putting the bike's weight on it.

I dropped mine last week in my driveway. It was more of a gentle lay down than a drop. I was in a hurry to get to the NJ inspection station before it closed and as I put the side stand down to close my garage door the side stand got hooked on the Velcro flap of my boot and retracted back up as I went to get off. I tried to hold it up but it got to far over and down it went. Thank God for the Skyway sliders I put on so no damage except my pride. :blink:

Close call and good catch! :D Keep in mind, with the bike parked on a downward slope, even in gear, (depending on the angle), the weight of the bike might still overcome the compression of the engine which can cause the bike to inch forward enough to let the side stand fold up, and down she goes! :angry2:

Two thoughts. Either park the bike facing up upslope, or take along a small wedge to block the rear tire. (A disk brake lock would perform the same function.)

Last edited by a moderator:
In close to 18 years of riding, I have never dropped a bike while setting it on its kickstand, but my FJR does seem easier to drop than many of the others I have owned. Since joining here and reading about the numerous riders that have had thier FJR fall off of an improperly set stand, I always push my kickstand down twice and sort of drag the bike backwards on the stand once I put it down just to be sure. Last night, in my driveway, I realized I had "shortstroked" the stand and could have lost it if I would have walked away without checking it. Glad you caught yours. Some of us have not been so lucky.

Since almost dropping mine I now shut my bike off with the side stand - just leave it in gear running and put the stand down. Works for me.

File or Dremel the kickstand stop down more so the kickstand sits at a greater angle. Of course, it won't work miracles on downhills, but the stock angle is too shallow for my liking. This is a subject treated on the Board years ago.

Glad you didn't drop it. A few people have done some grinding to the side stand to allow it to move forward a bit more. If you consider this, take it slow, a little goes a long way in changing the angle and allowing the bike to lean over more.
I simple make a point of looking at the side stand and giving it a second nudge with my toe to make sure it's forward all the way before putting the bike's weight on it.
Grind off about 1/8" on sidestand stop. It helped on my '07 which pulled the same trick on me.

And just in case something like this happens again, have sliders installed before it does. I just installed these. $50.00 including shipping.

click

Let me know if you have any questions about the install. VERY simple.