need help, FJR won't start, don't hear the fuel pump when putting contact on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonami00

Reaction score
hello,
couldn't ride the bike for 2 weeks after rugby injury, Battery seems ok, start motor turns, but won't start. i do not hear the welcome sound of the fuel pomp when turning on the contact.
switch on side pick makes noise when i set him park position, or when i pull it in . so suppose this one is ok also.
tried 15 seconds with throttle wide open, no luck, fuel tank is 100% full
fjr 1300A 2014 88.000km always been in maintenance by dealer ( not handy enough)

is there a way to doe a diagnose?
sorry for crappy english, but taking about technical terms in English is something else then ICT manuals

Can you smell fuel? Are the spark plugs wet? Likely flooded but the fuel pump should run when you cycle the key. Perhaps check the two connectors on the bottom of the tank, especially if you have done any service under the tank lately.
Sometimes takes more than 15 seconds with wide-open-throttle, but I would suggest trying 15-20 seconds and letting the starter cool for a few minutes before another attempt. Note: Very important that the battery is FULLY charged.

If the side stand switch or other interlock is engaged, the engine won't even crank...

thanks for the info , don't smell fuel :( , didn't know about the side stand, so that is all ready clear, tx for that info . i don' t do my maintenance myself, will charge the battery again this evening when i am at home, and test tomorrow morning ,
will keep you updated

many thanks

If it is flooded, you should smell fuel. I guess I would check fuses and make sure the connections to the bottom of the tank are good if the fuel pump isn't running when you first turn the key.

A full battery in good condition is needed for the WOT start attempt.

It could be the immobilizer - it shuts off the fuel pump (at least on Gen II). On a Gen II, there is a big red flashing light if the immobilizer is unhappy, not sure about Gen III.

changed the fuse, even if i think he s ok, and charged the battery at 100%, will test this evening when i am back home

It could be the immobilizer - it shuts off the fuel pump (at least on Gen II). On a Gen II, there is a big red flashing light if the immobilizer is unhappy, not sure about Gen III.
i don't have a red flashing light. what surprised me is that normally when i shut down the bike, there is a little red light flashing for 24 hrs, and now, i am missing that. possible that this is only flashing after that the motor is turning, never tested it before.... but you could be wright

out of idea's , dealer is coming on Wednesday to pick up the bike, but doesn't think he has the time during the week to look at it
seems i will be using my car for a week or so :( . did all ready broke the 2 little pins to keep the plastic above the battery in place.
will leave it to professionals

i don't have a red flashing light. what surprised me is that normally when i shut down the bike, there is a little red light flashing for 24 hrs, and now, i am missing that. possible that this is only flashing after that the motor is turning, never tested it before.... but you could be wright
FIY: The red light will do its 24 hour flashing whenever the ignition is cycled, regardless of the engine being started.