Al's drug-free ride to the sun.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
I had planned to do this ride after the Kootenay Gut Buster (aka WCR2). But finding myself with the common retiree question "What shall I do today?" and a request from a friend near Nelson, BC to fix her Lada Niva and 'take a look' at her 100 year old cabin's leaky roof, I decided 'just do it' - hmmm, that's a catchy phrase.

Also, as the 'new to me' Corbin seat was so comfy, I decided to try to make the whole trip Ibuprofen free - a first since buying the bike!

The route:

trip.jpg

The cabin:

002.jpg

005.jpg

So, parts for the Lada are on order - from the Ukraine!

We've invited neighbors and friends to a 'roofing party' in August. I hope some work gets done.
rolleyes.gif

Headed off over the Kootenay Pass through Cranbrook, to cross into Montana at Roosville

017.jpg

Then down 93 through Eureka to Whitefish.

019.jpg

One of 'Whitefish's Finest' takes off after a tourist who didn't buy a souvenir.

021.jpg

I didn't either - but I pretended to.

022.jpg

Whitefish must hold some kind of record for the most number of churches in one town. There must be two or three on every block!

Anyway, after a coffee and a muffin, I headed out of town to overnight in Kalispell.

023.jpg

028.jpg

Where I stayed at the 100 year old Grand Hotel. I recommend this place, reasonable rates, very friendly people, good fresh coffee and cookies.

036.jpg

044wwords.jpg

Got talking to two ladies from Florida doing a US round trip on a Harley trike. They gave their husbands 'honey do' lists, but suspected they were cracking the first beer as they left town.

They were having a blast, seeing the country on three wheels. Heading out to the Harley dealer a couple of blocks away, they assured me they wear ATGATT normally.

039.jpg

Headed out of town on Hwy 2 bright and early to miss the tourist rush in Glacier National Park.

046.jpg

Guess these aren't on someone's reno list.

050.jpg

051.jpg

Paid my $12 fee - gives you seven days access to the park, seems very reasonable to me.

052.jpg

So now off to the Road-to-the-Sun. I also videoed the whole thing with my Hero. But, as I was riding into and out of bright sun, the camera had a hard time adjusting. I'll try to edit it and post it separately.

058.jpg

061.jpg

064.jpg

Couldn't resist trying the water melting off a glacier. So, after I worked the frostbite out of my fingers..... - note to self: carry a cup.
smile.png

066.jpg

Beautiful views in every direction.

068.jpg

069.jpg

067.jpg

I was quite happy to ride at the posted 25 mph speed limit. Even at that speed it's a fairly short ride and I was soon at Saint Mary, where I picked up Hwy 89 north.

Turned onto Hwy 17 (Chief Mountain Hwy) through Waterton Lakes Park to the border.

076.jpg

This was literally a one-man checkpoint. Got to chat with the officer while he finished his coffee.
punk.gif

079.jpg

081.jpg

Rode up to Pincher Creek, AB - must be the wind generation capital of Canada?

085.jpg

088.jpg

From there I picked up Hwy 3 over the Crowsnest Pass back into BC and home.

Another ride off my bucket list. Was it worth it? You bet!!

Thanks for looking.

Al.

Great write-up and pics! I lived in Alberta for a while 15 years ago and am very familiar with Glacier National Park and the Road to the Sun. Thanks for bringing back some great memories of riding out there!

Nice looking ride Al, beautiful part of the country to explore. Thanks for taking us along!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Al, good eye on the biker from Illinois. They raise em' real tough in those parts.

I met one named Wheatie , one bad mofo biker.

Real nice Al
smile.png
... thanks for posting for us all. Another one to scratch off our bucket list one day ..... the Road, not the roof !

Question -- could you have acquired a "lifetime pass" to all the parks, for "seniors"
rolleyes.gif
-- or are they not available to you northerners ?

Mine cost me $10 ($20 ?? , can't remember - been a while) and it's paid for itself many times over.

Real nice Al
smile.png
... thanks for posting for us all. Another one to scratch off our bucket list one day ..... the Road, not the roof !Question -- could you have acquired a "lifetime pass" to all the parks, for "seniors"
rolleyes.gif
-- or are they not available to you northerners ?

Mine cost me $10 ($20 ?? , can't remember - been a while) and it's paid for itself many times over.
Hi Rog.

I looked into that while I was there. As an 'alien', I can only buy the $80 annual pass, no break for being an 'ancient alien'.
nono.gif

https://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Very nice report and great pictures Alan!
smile.png

What wonderful landscapes!
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for sharing!