Aluminum Grab bars Gen 2 (2010)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propbuildervash

Reaction score
Hello,

I was looking to install the aluminum grab rail set. Yamahas website only lists these for 2013 and newer boxes. Are these not compatible with the 2010 (gen 2?)

I assume the old plastic one has just the two mounting points where the new one is mounted to the rail where the passenger seat attaches with brackets. I just couldn't confirm if they are compatible and didn't want to waste $200.

Jeff

Yes, confirmed the OE upgrade aluminum rack will fit '06 to '15. Rear subframe, seats and tails are the same. It will not fit when using a Corbin Smuggler in place of rear seat. IIRC the Smuggler needs modifications to properly latch.

~G

Sweeeeeet! Thank you! I will get one ordered.

What is the recommended rear weight limit when using the Yamaha aluminum grab handle without/without a stiffy kit?

I'm thinking of going with the Shad rear case as it was noted to me that it works with a pirate lair backrest.

Jeff

Yes, confirmed the OE upgrade aluminum rack will fit '06 to '15. Rear subframe, seats and tails are the same. It will not fit when using a Corbin Smuggler in place of rear seat. IIRC the Smuggler needs modifications to properly latch.

~G
AND not only the Smuggler, but also the earlier Corbin passenger seat will not fit either. Jevers

Hmmm..... my '18 came with the Yamaha large top case and the stiffening kit. I just assumed that it was required. Good to know, thank you!

<<snip>>I'm thinking of going with the Shad rear case as it was noted to me that it works with a pirate lair backrest.

Jeff
I've been using Givi top cases along with the SR357 replacement rack for years. Most recent is a V47 case used for trips with my SO. I always load the top case with lightweight bulky items such as electric (or regular) liners, daily need items and finally a water bottle.

Be smart, don't overload the trunk and you'll be fine.

~G

Edit: Here's the OE Aluminum Rear Rack with listed fitment.

I don't know if the givi would work with my pirates lair backrest mount. I saw someone else using pirates lair backrest with an aluminum rail on a gen 3 with the PL backrest and a shad topcase. I just need a place to shore my waterproof liners and misc stuff. The side cases will be used for regular clothes.