An air horn is a must

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Stebel Nautilus is now installed on a homemade bracket under the tripple tree. My bracket isn't as pretty as the one I was shown a picture of, but it's very functional. I put the relay where the left horn used to be and didn't even bother removing the right horn.

Fork seal changed, heated grips, aux brake lights and a new horn all installed... looks like I am going to learn how to wrench on a Yammi.

I have to change something on the grips though. I have them wired to stay on even when the bike is off. That won't do, need to fix that... but not today!

Thanks to all for the help.

I used a relay with 5 prongs on it rather than 4, simply because it was what I had on hand, and when my husband asked me what I did with the 5th prong my answer was "that got wired to the rocket launcher." "huh?!?" "The rocket launcher, its wired into the same relay as the horn based on their needs being typically at the same time. If you need to hit that horn, you probably also need to launch rockets..... so no friendly beeps of that horn, if you hit, you better mean business."

He just stared at me..... walks over to the front of the bike, looks....looks again....

"Where did you mount the rocket launcher?"

"Well, that is why I had to fabricate a special bracket, if I had just wanted a horn, I could have used the factory mounts"

I am thinking that the first time he has to hit that horn he is going to flinch and fear rockets may actually come out!!!! He really couldn't tell if I was kidding or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures please......
coolsmiley02.gif

Well, Karen, I like the story, so I like you. (But I'm out of likes already today.)

Wow, I got your last like for the day... i am honored. I just hope no one offers you a piece of cake later, because its hard not to like cake. I have pictures, I will try to get them up. But sadly... there is not a rocket launcher in there. I wonder where I can get a rocket launcher farkle?

Ok, bracket with horn getting test fit...

19510420_1445249358903368_7505837173317429735_n.jpg

Bracket installed under the triple tree.

19598798_1445249525570018_8883711411309605575_n.jpg

Horn installed (still have one fork out for the seal replacement.)

19601222_1445249575570013_415142855380892769_n.jpg

And this is where you attach your rocket launcher... on 87a.

19429954_1445250128903291_3517510970873037621_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mount the rocket launcher bracket on your forks.

On second thought, if you do, post up a video.

Don't mount the rocket launcher bracket on your forks.
On second thought, if you do, post up a video.
If I put them on the bars, it would be REALLY important to launch both rockets at the same time, and be sure I have the same sized rocket on each side.....

The Nautilus on my GSA failed this year. I hit the button and it sounded like someone strangling a sheep. I took it off and while the motor runs, no air is reaching the horns. Apparently, it is a pretty common failure if the horn isn't used often.

I replaced it with a couple of the larger PIAA freeway blaster horns that I was going to put on the FJR - man, are they loud! The FJR will get some PIAA slender units instead.

+1 on checking clearance - there isn't much room under the nose of the FJR. I'd completely compress the forks and check that they are free to move side to side.

A friend of mine figured he had enough clearance between the tail subframe and rear tire of his Multistrada to install a Rotopax gas can - he didn't....much hilarity ensued, luckily none involving fire.

The Nautilus on my GSA failed this year. I hit the button and it sounded like someone strangling a sheep. I took it off and while the motor runs, no air is reaching the horns. Apparently, it is a pretty common failure if the horn isn't used often.
I replaced it with a couple of the larger PIAA freeway blaster horns that I was going to put on the FJR - man, are they loud! The FJR will get some PIAA slender units instead.

+1 on checking clearance - there isn't much room under the nose of the FJR. I'd completely compress the forks and check that they are free to move side to side.

A friend of mine figured he had enough clearance between the tail subframe and rear tire of his Multistrada to install a Rotopax gas can - he didn't....much hilarity ensued, luckily none involving fire.
Interesting you say this. I had a pair of Blasters and they eventually failed by getting full of road grime and rain water too many times so I replaced them with the Nautilus. I do blast the Nautilus every once in a while to amuse my friends, so I know it still works. It is a good idea to test out your horn.

Karen - Glad you found my Stebel installation post from 2008 helpful. As noted, if the bracket is bent to tip the horn back as far as possible without hitting the radiator, then it will clear the fender under hard braking.

Coincidentally, my Stebel failed this past week while on a 10 day blast around the Northwest USA. I honked and it initially sounded like a sheep being strangled and then went silent. I guess I can't complain because that horn sees a lot of rain up here near Seattle and I ride all year long.

If you really want a lot of noise, then you can also mount a set of the PIAA horns in place of the stock horns and just parallel those off the Stebel horn so you have 3 blasting at once. It's impressive! Plus you have spares in case one fails. ;)

I had a pair of Blasters and they eventually failed by getting full of road grime and rain water too many times so I replaced them with the Nautilus.
I had blasters fail for the same reason on a car some years ago. Took them apart and cleaned out the plant matter. There's a very shallow space inside where it doesn't take much trash to limit the output. Also optimized the tones with the adjusting screws, and remounted so they were less likely to accumulate new debris. Took about an hour, they were good as new, and I had no more trouble. An easy fix for anyone who might have a set of dead horns laying around. They're not really dead, probably just sleeping. :)