An Update Fuel Cell In the Works! Parts Sourcing For Now....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not quite ready to post all about it yet, but since I wadded up my '14 ES in Wyoming 18 months ago and could have put my hand through the mangled carcass of my McAvan fuel cell....I'm in the process of having a new fuel cell built. Yay!

I'm helping the builder a bit, doing the fuel line part mostly myself having learned building my own one-off-one-use cell for a special Alamo Express ride that from the point you drill a hole in your perfectly good fuel tank to where the fuel cell feeds...there are lots of turns, small orifices, and no standard bill of materials to get as a kit. Many fuel cells are based on fuel lines that are rated at 1/4" or maybe 5/16", but have much smaller orifices along the way depending on which part you're in.

Perhaps the smallest diameter part comes from the fairly common and economical ($20-$30) CPC Quick Disconnect Couplings. But measuring the orifice of their 3/8" rated barbed series actually necks down to half that diameter of 0.22 inches. Compare that to an -6 AN fitting that's a true 0.37 inches and talking less than half the potential flow. I've always preferred gravity-feed cells since gravity works more consistently than fuel pumps.

2017-04-12_13-22-24.jpg

However, a serious factor if you're trying to stick with a gravity feed cell that is it's designed to be low-profile to begin with....which this one is.

So, I just sourced a seriously cool quick-connect piece that's all spiffy Jiffy-Tite black anodized aluminum and will go with my other red anodized bits I'm accumulating...and its no longer the most narrow point! $65 ain't cheap, but sure seems like a quality engineered product.

517g9LLqR4L__SX355_.jpg
JFT22506a.jpg

So, consider this a tease with more to come and a big reveal. I think the end product is going to a premium fuel cell option for other FJR folks..
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the CPC QD's are not rated for fuel. BMW had to recall some bikes and replace the CPC QD's because of the risk of fire. I replaced all of the plastic ones on my BMW with metal ones from Beemer Boneyard - still made by CPC, BTW.

Those Jiffy-Tite ones look like the business. I'll be watching your progress as I still need to install my Joe2lmaker tank.

Some of the CPC QD's are not rated for fuel. BMW had to recall some bikes and replace the CPC QD's because of the risk of fire.
I put 120,000 plus miles on their acetal body with viton o-ring.....I think I recall they were rated. Even if not, they still last many years. In fact, the QD fared far better than my cell did in Wyoming. :)

Just finished my aux cell install with the plastic CPC QD's and they leaked right from the start. I have the metal version coming to replace them from Beemer Boneyard like Mr_Canoehead.

I looked at the Jiffy Tite, but got worried about internal flow restrictions because they seem to be used primarily on pressurized fuel lines. I'll be curious for your hands on take and real world testing in a gravity setup...

I looked at the Jiffy Tite, but got worried about internal flow restrictions because they seem to be used primarily on pressurized fuel lines. I'll be curious for your hands on take and real world testing in a gravity setup...
I actually found their catalog with dimensions of different models and the internal dimension that's usually the smallest on disconnects shows specifically as "0.37" on the 3000 series....so that's why I pulled the rip cord on this particular brand. The 2000 series showed as much smaller so didn't go with it.

Yeah, I'll be curious as well!

That was my choice for quick disconnectors - valved on both sides.

-6, 3/8 inside diameter. Drains just over 4 gallons in 15 minutes.

Anb0m17.jpg
wtKBhdJ.jpg

Under $400.00 for this set-up.