Another New Member

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently own a 2005 BMW R1200GS.
I rode a Gen 1 FJR back in 2015 and ever since then ive wanted one.

Now that my hair is a lot thinner, the majority of my socks are not of the ankle variety, and i make subtle noises when I sit down and stand up I think I can get away with an FJR. In other words im in the 10 to 15 year bufferzone between adventure bikes and a Goldwing where im excited to rip around on the worlds best Sports Tourer.
Im really looking for something under $4000 in the Virginia area but if there is a crazy deal to be had Ill hopefully find a way to make it happen.

I really like the dark cherry red of the 2007 models but im seeing some pretty good deals for higher mileage Gen 3 bikes that are also tempting.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I own two FJR’s and my oldest 2008 FJR with 168,000 miles is still running beautifully. I also have a 2013 gen3 with 75,000 miles on it and that one hasn’t given me any headaches either. So far it has been brilliant too. So I can attest to the fact that they are absolutely bulletproof (with proper service) and I am definitely not the only one who has experienced it. Don’t shy away from a higher mileage one. Hope that helps your decision making process.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum. I own two FJR’s and my oldest 2008 FJR with 168,000 miles is still running beautifully. I also have a 2013 gen3 with 75,000 miles on it and that one hasn’t given me any headaches either. So far it has been brilliant too. So I can attest to the fact that they are absolutely bulletproof (with proper service) and I am definitely not the only one who has experienced it. Don’t shy away from a higher mileage one. Hope that helps your decision making process.
Most people sell their cars before they hit those kinda miles. lol. Great work, that is super impressive. I have noticed a few for sale with 80-100k but they are pretty much the same price as those with 30-50k.

You mentioned they are headache free, is that including the gearbox? Ive seen 2 bikes (05 & 07) that were for sale with a "slipping" and a "skipping" second gear. Two is not enough to be a trend, or a concern, just thought that was odd. One of them seemed like it was thrashed.

Speaking of gearboxes, im finding a surprising number of AEs for sale. I dont really want one but they tend to be cheaper than the oldschool A version with a clutch. Is there any reason for this? Any known problems with them?

I don’t know much about the AE since both of mine are regular clutch versions. But I’m pretty sure you can find all the information you need on this forum. As for the transmission, I haven’t experienced any issues with either one of my bikes. They are both properly maintained and serviced regularly. Any neglected bike could give you trouble I suppose, so proper maintenance is key.

Welcome, and good luck on your hunt for an FJR.

On a heavy bike like the FJR I'm inclined to not bang into 2nd gear with maximum enthusiasm. I'm not saying the FJR has a weakness there but riding it like it's being drag raced has to be stressful on everything so I just don't do it.

I look at all vehicles like that. Hammer them for more fun in exchange for less time (or more maintenance). How fast can you afford to go?

Some guy in Winnipeg has a heavily farkled ‘17 ES with 77,249kms on it for sale..$13,000cdn…transportation costs to Virginia by a safe, secure and reliable carrier are $1800.00usd..

Yamaha tall windshield, dual PIAA horns, MC Enterprises crash bars front & rear, Eastern Beaver power distro, Givi 46L top box with Admore light kit, pyramid plastics fenda extenda, rear tire hugger, Garauld sliders, Motorcycle Innovations driving lights, Russell Day-Long Saddle. N-Line dash shelf with Garmin 396 GPS includes U.K maps, Sidestand foot enlarger, Michelin Road 5GT tires, off-brand TPMS sensors on Fobo metal “T” stems, Speedbleeders on clutch and brakes. Second gear recall done by Kelly’s in Hamilton, Relay arm modded by Russ Holden, Garauld Stiffy kit, 1” Bar Risers..

2nd gear is a common 'uncommon' issue with the FJR. It happens, but not very often. And I believe it is shifting 'softly' that can be a contributing cause of the issue - worn dogs and bent shift fork. I have ridden two FJRs over 200k miles, one 150k, and one 100k and never had a 2nd gear issue.