Another Swiss Loop: Zimmental, Les Diablerets, Gruyeres, Jaunpass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euro-Feejer

Reaction score
Still at the conference in Interlaken, Switzerland, and another decent-weather day came up. The agendas got moved around so that everyone could have the full day for outings. So we had a much more relaxed plan in mind (compared to the afternoon trip last week - 3 high passes in 4hours).

The Simmental (post title was misspelled) is a mountain valley that heads from the Thunersee near Interlaken toward Geneva. We chose to leave the main valley on a side loop through Les Diablerets. Then when the road began to drop down towards Aigle and Lake Geneva, we headed north to Gruyeres, a town famous for cheese production. The return trip was over the Jaunpass back to the Simmental, then Interlaken. With very few switchbacks, and gently curving roads that flowed easily at the 50mph limit, it was easy to bask in the scenery as we rode. Total miles were just under 150, so we enjoyed unhurried stops for coffee and walking around a couple places.

Heading into the Saanen/Gstaad area, looking toward the ranges in the direction of Gsteig (our side loop).

IMG_6324.jpg

The main route to Geneva heads eastward this direction from Saanen, but we diverted southward.

IMG_6325.jpg

The Gsteig area.

IMG_6329.jpg

The cappuccino and hot chocolate break in Les Diablerets. It’s still odd getting used to crossing from the German-speaking to French-speaking side of Switzerland. This place had a sign (in German) that welcomed motorcyclers, but the waitress had trouble understanding our German or English.

IMG_6343.jpg

The “devils” mountain range, named the same as the town (Les Diablerets).

IMG_6349.jpg

From Les Diablerets, we headed down this valley.

IMG_6344.jpg

Looking back, as we headed northward near Les Mosses

IMG_6358.jpg

The valley of Chateau d’Oex. David Niven (the actor) lived much of his life here and died here.

IMG_6359.jpg

Approaching the fortress of Gruyeres, famous for its cheese.

IMG_6361.jpg

Another pause for lunch and dessert in the Gruyeres walking zone…

IMG_6364.jpg

… and a stroll around the fortress.

IMG_6376.jpg

On the return trip of the day’s loop, just over the Jaunpass.

IMG_6384.jpg

Further down the Jaunpass

IMG_6386.jpg

Approaching the Simmental again (returned to Interlaken via this same valley that began our day.

IMG_6387.jpg

The perfect day ended with an added treat… This alpenglow scene from our hotel balcony.

IMG_6391.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for posting these breath-taking beautiful pictures.

A quick couple of questions - this foto

IMG_6344.jpg

what are the horizontal ridges at mountain tops?

and.. I don't see any electric power poles.. are electric cables all underground?

Thanks again, I'm back to looking at the pictures one more time.. :clapping:

Great photos Euro-Feejer!

You hit the perfect weather for your tour.

I'm heading to the Ticino Canton this Saturday to hook up with Alfred aka Bikesniffer, another member of the FJR cult B)

Stef

Thank you very much for posting these breath-taking beautiful pictures.
A quick couple of questions - this foto

IMG_6344.jpg

and.. I don't see any electric power poles.. are electric cables all underground?

Not sure about the horizontal ridges... My guess is that it's some sort of avalanche protection.

There are power lines here and there that are visible, but they must also have some buried ones or route some through train tunnels in the higher mountains.

I'm pretty sure they are there to control avalanches. I seem to remember asking about them too when I saw them.

The Swiss are extremely clever WRT their interaction with thier mountains. (Don't even THINK about invading the place)

The also have a real different attitude towards their surroundings and environment (which I tend to agree with)

The "horizontal ridges" are definitely avalanche control mechanisms. They have them all over in various valleys etc. I know, my mother/grandmother are Swiss. I have been fortunate to be on almost all these roads many times as a youth, but never fortunate enough to enjoy them on two wheels (at least not motorized)....beautiful shots thanks for sharing. Must be an absolute blast to ride the area.

Beautiful scenery!!

Another place to see before I get too old to travel...the list is getting long. ;)

Just to answer some questions:

Yes those are avalanche inhibitors, and placed on all the mountain ranges that are classified as dangerous. They're about 2-3 meters high (Yeah I use meters... tough luck ;) )

99.99% of electricity and telephone wires are underground in Switzerland. The only things above are the very high tension wires.