Any Hams on Here?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wondering about ham radios for a while.

Is there a real world application for it on a mobile platform, like the motorcycle? Or the car?

Where could I use it? If I traveled out of state could I still communicate with family back home?

I don't see it replacing my J&M CB unit. Or could it?

Just curious. Would love more info on it from those that know. Thx.

I've been wondering about ham radios for a while.Is there a real world application for it on a mobile platform, like the motorcycle? Or the car?

Where could I use it? If I traveled out of state could I still communicate with family back home?

I don't see it replacing my J&M CB unit. Or could it?

Just curious. Would love more info on it from those that know. Thx.
I got my license after breaking my wrist out at Glamis, before the cell tower was put up there (more often than not, I'd pick up a cell tower across the border in Mexico). I've been inactive for a while, though I did renew my license when it was due. I have plans to setup an APRS setup on the bike as an alternative to SPOT; there are plenty of areas here in AZ where there is no cell reception, and I don't even have to be that far out of Phoenix (like near Lake Pleasant)! We do have a Ham Radio Outlet store here, they are always a good place to go dip your toes into the amateur radio community pool...

Latest posts