Any Input On Front And Rear Tire Pressure??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spine60

Reaction score
I also have a wing which suggests 36 psi front and rear. The guys on that forum all agree that 41psi in the rear and 38psi in the front work the best for handling and for even tire wear. Are there any opinions for the FJR?? Thanks, Greg :blink:

spine 60

I also have a 1800 which I run 41 front and back, on the FJR I run 42-42 which seems to get the most milage but my new Metz Z6 requires 41psi cold, have always run 42 in both tires on the FJR.

rogerfjrfaster :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all have to do what makes you feel comfy, but I consider going as high as 40-42 psi in the front to be dangerous and asking for trouble. The 42psi rating on the front tire is the absolute max cold pressure allowed. Depending on how much load, speed, surface area of the road, temperature inside the tire could rise to a point where your tire ruptures.

Manufacturers do not recommend 36psi just because they like that number. Variations up and down are always possible, but doing so radical as the numbers I see above, to me is playing with your life.

spine 60I also have a 1800 which I run 41 front and back, on the FJR I run 42-42 which seems to get the most milage but my new Metz Z6 requires 41psi cold, have always run 42 in both tires on the FJR.

rogerfjrfaster :D
+1 (41/41 on my 98se, since I wasn't running OEM tires)

41/42 (f/r) on my St45/46s

41/41 when running Mich Pilot Roads

OEM pressures with my OEM BT020's lead to early and serious cupping of the front tire.

Y'all have to do what makes you feel comfy, but I consider going as high as 40-42 psi in the front to be dangerous and asking for trouble.
You seem to be under the impression that a higher "cold" psi will result in a higher "hot" psi. That is not the case. A tire is going to run at its equilibrium pressure where the sidewalls are rigid enough that they are no longer flexing and raising the tire's temperture. The equilibrium pressure is factor of a lot of things including speed, load, the rider's riding style but you are not going to lower that equilibrium pressure by starting with a lower cold pressure. A lower cold pressure will just result in the tire running at a higher temperture when it reaches the equilibrium pressure.

My FJR's hot air pressure is usually 44 in the front and 46 in the rear so I run 40 and 42 (cold). A 10 percent increase in psi is considered a good compromise between traction and tire life because it will usually result in a tire temperature of 130-140 degrees. If I were to run 36 and 38 my tires would still run hot pressures of 44 and 46, the difference being that the tires would be running about 50 degrees hotter -- slightly more traction and about 25 percent shorter tire life.

42-42 on 4 sets of Metz on my 03

42-42 on 2 sets of Stones on my 05

42-42 on a new set of Avons on my 05

No problems yet.........

41f 42r here. Very stabel for highway use. Somewhat lower for "serious" twisties or track days.
Track days?!! I love my FJR and think it handles remarkably well, for how long and heavy it is, but I just can't see flogging it around a track. I've done track days on: CBR600, SV650, FZ1, and R1. I regularly grind the pegs on my FJR doing normal street riding. The bike is awesome but it just wasn't made for the track.

Let the flames begin...

Won't raising the pressure tend to cause a smaller contact patch thus leading to greater wear in the center of the tire rather than more evenly spreading the load as with the manufacturer's recommendations?

Won't raising the pressure tend to cause a smaller contact patch thus leading to greater wear in the center of the tire rather than more evenly spreading the load as with the manufacturer's recommendations?
Nope...stick to the 40-42 front and 42 rear on the FJR, and you will find your tires will last longer and front cupping is reduced...they run cooler albeit harder (and you can make up for that a bit, in your suspension settings). True, it used to be in the old days, if a tire was overinflated, the center tread would wear significantly faster...plain and simple. But in this case, 40-42 psi is still within the tire manufactures' range....the tires are designed to handle it... :assasin: