Anybody w/full harness recall installed Brodie's Harness?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed the Brodie harness last year. Will it be a liability that I didn't have the recall done when I want to sell it? Obviously the Brodie fix is more robust but would an ignorant buyer buy that? Could I get Yamaha state that the problem is fixed?

I installed the Brodie harness last year. Will it be a liability that I didn't have the recall done when I want to sell it? Obviously the Brodie fix is more robust but would an ignorant buyer buy that? Could I get Yamaha state that the problem is fixed?

I did the same install. I have met and trust Brodie. I have his other harness on my bike. Brodie's work is first rate. You could always reverse the Brodie fix and have the inferior yamaha harness fix done under warranty if you want to sell.

Personally, I try not to sell a motorcycle to an ignorant person, and I would hope they know the value of the Brodie harness.

But that's just me because the last things I want to ever sell are my motorsickles. They're like family ;)

Brodie's harness connects to the recall's new complete harness just as with the old one! :yahoo:
Isn't the complete harness only for those of us that already have a problem? I assume the recall fix for most of us is to replace a portion of the harness which we've already replaced with the Brodie harness, right?

Yes, indeed, that seems to be the case, but. . . Since no one seems to be sure how much more "robust" the new harness is, I decided to go ahead and install Brodie's to assure that the problem wont happen again; my old harness spiders were a mess, and the "time line/milage line" doesn't seem to be exact. I only had 10K on my bike. . .Those of you that used his harness probably will not ever have the problem, but the repercussions of not taking your bike in for the recall has been discussed elsewhere. . .

I took my bike into the selling dealer in Surprise, AZ today for the recall inspection. I informed them of my having the Brodie harness already installed. He told me I may have voided my warrantee by installing aftermarket parts and that they didn't need to inspect the harness as the sub harness had already been replaced? I told him I thought the recall was to inspect the main harness for damage and to install a sub harness. He told me it was to inspect the harness for pinching between the engine and the frame and if there was damage, the main harness would need to be replaced. but that I had already removed the part that gets pinched by installing the Brodie harness so there was no need to inspect the bike. He offered to call the area rep. to find out if the Brodie harness was a suitable replacement part. This is why I love these guys. :unsure:

I took my bike into the selling dealer in Surprise, AZ today for the recall inspection. I informed them of my having the Brodie harness already installed. He told me I may have voided my warrantee by installing aftermarket parts and that they didn't need to inspect the harness as the sub harness had already been replaced? I told him I thought the recall was to inspect the main harness for damage and to install a sub harness. He told me it was to inspect the harness for pinching between the engine and the frame and if there was damage, the main harness would need to be replaced. but that I had already removed the part that gets pinched by installing the Brodie harness so there was no need to inspect the bike. He offered to call the area rep. to find out if the Brodie harness was a suitable replacement part. This is why I love these guys. :unsure:
So you [very recently] purchased your bike used? If this is the case, then the PO already had the recall completed and your dealer confirmed this with a VIN check.

If you're the original owner and haven't had the recall completed...the dealer is feeding you a line of BS. The recall is to install an additional sub lead or if the connector has been damaged from overheating, install a new main harness. Take your letter to them and point it out.

Good luck.

--G

Cavy

My Grounding Harness will not void your warranty any more than a supplemental fuze block, or an aftermarket horn. The damage they are looking for is a resistance caused heat meltdown within the original connector/shorting bar located in a very specific location on the bike. With the fuel tank, t-bar, and heat shield removed, it is located in the left forward position in the engine bay - in front of the coolant pipe. There are 5 short black wires protruding from the main wire harness terminating within a small white male connector body with a black cap covering the 6 tined shorting bar. This shorting bar connects all 5 wires together, one of which leads toward the battery negative terminal. This is the gathering point for the ground buss on the bike. One wire comes in from the left side of the frame area, another comes in from the sub harness within the front bodywork, the other two are from the radiator fans. There may be another wire from somewhere - I can't remember off the top of my head.

The wire leading to the battery is the metric equivalent of a 16 gage wire. It carries most of the current from the various components scattered throughout the bike, completing the loop back to the battery. In my opinion the wire size is up to the task, however the week link is the pins within the connector itself. When new/fresh, it has good metal to metal contact and low resistance to the current flowing through it. Give it some time (a couple of years) and the oxygen in the air we breathe will cause the surface of the pins to form a thin oxidized film on it (FJRForum Geniuses help me out and keep me honest here). This film creates resistance to the flow of electrons across the pins in the connector. The more resistance the more it heats up, with heat comes more resistance. The goal of the electrical engineer designing this circuit is to size the wires and connector components large enough and with the proper surface properties to accommodate this aging process - and do it with the least amount of cost. Unfortunately with our chosen platform (2006 through present) they missed the mark.

It's not just this one specific "spider" that has a history of failure, I know of 2 other verified failure locations, both on the sub harness in the front bodywork. I believe I saw a picture of a 4th failure point near the fuel rail. That is why I built my Grounding Harness to connect up to all 6 "spiders" on the grounding buss. All 6 connectors have 6 wires each terminating in a 8 gage butt splice and connected with a 10 gage wire forming the harness, and terminating at the battery negative post with an 1/4 ring terminal. If any one of the "spiders" aren't tied into this Grounding Harness, just having their shorting bars in place, it will still work just fine. Even if you fail to hook up the ring terminal to the battery - just leaving it dangling in the wind, the OEM grounding buss will still work as designed by Yamaha. All my Grounding Harness does is provide a big fat copper path back to battery negative terminal to reduce any resistance on the negative side of the circuit down to an absolute minimum.

My Grounding Harness will play together just fine with the Yamaha recall harness. Un plug mine at the "S4" spider nest and install the recall harness - as instructed. Let my connector dangle, button the bike back up and be on your way.

If you are going to go through the bother of getting the recall work done, make sure the service department follows the instructions to the letter. Don't let them feed you a line of B#LL and try to void your warranty. If you encounter any problems, take your bike and never go back to them. There are other dealers that will serve you.

Good luck

smile.gif

Brodie

Thanks Brodie, I am the original owner and installed your harness myself. I understand the purpose of your harness, which is why I chose to purchase it. I talked to three different people at this dealership about doing the recall and got three different answers about how they did it. When I tried to leave my bike with them this A.M. I had the letter from Yamaha with me and showed it to the service guy. It explains what is done and they still couldn't figure it out. All I wanted them to do was inspect the bike and install the factory fix so they would sign off that the recall had been done. Apparently this was too complicated for them. I won't be back. Thanks for taking the time and effort to research and assemble your very nice harness. The members of this forum are very lucky to you have among them.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

Thanks Brodie, I am the original owner and installed your harness myself. I understand the purpose of your harness, which is why I chose to purchase it. I talked to three different people at this dealership about doing the recall and got three different answers about how they did it. When I tried to leave my bike with them this A.M. I had the letter from Yamaha with me and showed it to the service guy. It explains what is done and they still couldn't figure it out. All I wanted them to do was inspect the bike and install the factory fix so they would sign off that the recall had been done. Apparently this was too complicated for them. I won't be back. Thanks for taking the time and effort to research and assemble your very nice harness. The members of this forum are very lucky to you have among them.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

Cavy

I remember the purchase, you were one of my earlier customers for this invisafarkle, and I thank you for the business.

It's a shame you aren't here on the left coast in the San Jose Bay Area, I'd direct you to East Bay Motorsports in Hayward California. The service manager knows my work and has no problems installing the recall harness with my Grounding Harness in place. They did it to my '06 about a week after the recall harness became available.

Currently it is sitting in the top of my tool box gathering dust. I just took the bike in to be able to say all the recalls have been performed.

I drove it in, and drove it home. It came out shortly afterward.

wink.gif

Brodie

... He told me I may have voided my warrantee by installing aftermarket parts and that they didn't need to inspect...

Show him your Avatar and guarantee him a date...he'll change his mind for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to bring this all up again. My dealer is giving me a lot of hassle about not having the recall done. I've explained about Brodie's excellent solution (which I installed shortly after he started shipping) but they don't care. They seem to think they have a legal responsibility that must be filled. I went to another dealer for new tires and had to sign my life away disavowing them of any responsibility before I could ride away. I'm thinking about having the recall done to get everyone off my back. I was planning to disconnect Brodie's harness at S4. After the recall is finished I plan to revert S4 to Brodie's Harness.

Just before I got under the tank to revert S4 so the recall could be installed I read this thread. It raised a question. Does the Yamaha recall harness connect to S6 or S7?

Here's the question. Is S4 the only spyder I need to revert or do I also have to revert S6 or S7?