Anyone know this road?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KATOOM37

Reaction score
I'm planning a ride this summer through WA state. Looking at my map there is a great looking road from Carson (in the gorge) to Randle (near Mt. Ranier). The map states this route is "paved" but I've been burned by this before.

If anybody has any info on this road please enlighten me! I think it was NF25 and hwy131, I don't have my map with me.

Thanks

I'm planning a ride this summer through WA state. Looking at my map there is a great looking road from Carson (in the gorge) to Randle (near Mt. Ranier). The map states this route is "paved" but I've been burned by this before.
If anybody has any info on this road please enlighten me! I think it was NF25 and hwy131, I don't have my map with me.
The road in question is Wind River Rd. and connects with NF25 to Mt. St Helens and Randle on US12. The road is paved all the way though can be affected negatively by winter weather and freezing, particularly NF25. You should have no troubles especially in the summer.

dougc

Yes, very good. Pavement is rough due to winter freeze/thaw cycles, Ride accordingly.

Another good one in the area is the FS 90 (Trout Lake) to FS 25 to Randle The FS 90 road has about 200 yds in teh middle that is packed gravel, but no bigg deal if you take it slow trough that section. Same deal, you will need to be aware that you need to leave a good safety margin due to bumps that are mid turn in many of the corners.

And while you're at it, be sure and take the road to Windy Ridge on the east side of St. Helens. Definitely worth the short detour.

--G

There is a mexican restaurant on the main drag in Stevenson (just west of Carson) that is excellent!

The road you're talkin' about rocks! cept when it's frosty, so ya...summer is better. :)

The northerly part, from where it forks up to Randle is only open certain days of the week during fall/winter/spring. When we did it this Sept it was only open on the weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding! I can't wait.

Any recomendations for lodging in or near Ranier National Park? There will be at least three couples maybe five.

Like the others have said. Fun road but leave yourself plenty of room to dodge obstacles. If you get a little farther east, hwy 142 from the Columbia to Goldendale and beyond is a good one also. :D

You can get road conditions for FR25 and most of the rest of these roads at:

https://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/curre...ons/roads.shtml

This road is not plowed and opening date for the last snowed-in spot (Elk Creek Pass on FR25 between the FR99 Windy Ridge turnoff, and the FR90 turnoff to Cougar) is typically Memorial Day, but it has been much earlier in May on poor snow years and even into July on bad snow years. So far this year, we're getting a LOT of mountain snow, so don't make any assumptions unless you're going in mid-summer or later. Actually, I would never assume its open as it was closed for several weeks last year in Sept for road work.

It used to be that if you were good enough, you can pretty much let it all hang out on this road, but the wrecks and law enforcement have gotten progressively worse over the past five years. Last year I was stopped at a roadblock that was set to catch another group.

It is a fine road, especially the Wind River road going down to Carson.

- Mark

Thanks
Iris and I are planning that same route in July. We will be starting from Lake Tahoe around the 6th and 7th of July. Heading North through Oregon up to around Port Angeles, Wa. area, then back down along the coastal route. We're really excited about it. :yahoo:

And while you're at it, be sure and take the road to Windy Ridge on the east side of St. Helens. Definitely worth the short detour.
--G
Gunny - 18 miles each way of pure joy :clapping:
Great scenery road, not a very good road for enjoying the numerous curves though. This is a road in a national park, is marked for 25-35mph nearly the entire length, and much of the summer is infested with RV's and people rubber-necking the scenery going 10 less than the limit. Not unlike "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier.

- Mark

--G
Gunny - 18 miles each way of pure joy :clapping:
Great scenery road, not a very good road for enjoying the numerous curves though. This is a road in a national park, is marked for 25-35mph nearly the entire length, and much of the summer is infested with RV's and people rubber-necking the scenery going 10 less than the limit. Not unlike "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier.

- Mark
Time of day and day of the week directly effect the enjoyment factor and the leo count.

Another spot generally in the area loops down through Eastern Oregon has good twisty roads that link Condon, Hepner, Ukiah and Sumpter. We like to do a long weekend and go down the FS 25 to the FS 90 and then out at Trout lake to SR 12. Head east to US 97 and then south to Condon. Make a big loop and head back the same way. Gets you about 1000 miles and about 60% good twisties. Nice two to three day ride. :yahoo:

Another spot generally in the area loops down through Eastern Oregon has good twisty roads that link Condon, Hepner, Ukiah and Sumpter. We like to do a long weekend and go down the FS 25 to the FS 90 and then out at Trout lake to SR 12. Head east to US 97 and then south to Condon. Make a big loop and head back the same way. Gets you about 1000 miles and about 60% good twisties. Nice two to three day ride. :yahoo:

You really need to ride highway 3 while your in that area. That road will take you from Enterprise across the Grand Ronde river and up into Lewiston. Unbelievable ride! I remember one sign that said 25mph next 9 miles!!! Good asphalt too. It's a little out of the way from the route your talking about but well worth it.