Anyone up for a little Duel Sport ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you consider Saturday for an expedition from Emigrant Gap off 80 that looks like it should get us all the way up to the Forest Hill Divide. From there, we could double back across the canyon at Yankee Jim's to 40 and home? I did the pavement part of Emigrant Gap's forest service road on the FJR on Sunday -- 9 miles in -- to where the pavement ends, and it looks on the map like the dirt roads from there will take us across at Mumford Bar and all the way over to Forest Hill Road. Beautiful area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you consider Saturday for an expedition from Emigrant Gap off 80 that looks like it should get us all the way up to the Forest Hill Divide. From there, we could double back across the canyon at Yankee Jim's to 40 and home? I did the pavement part of Emigrant Gap's forest service road on the FJR on Sunday -- 9 miles in -- to where the pavement ends, and it looks on the map like the dirt roads from there will take us across at Mumford Bar and all the way over to Forest Hill Road. Beautiful area.
Where and what time you want to meet?

Shit, I woke up this morning thinking about this and remembered something important: I have 650 miles on my bike and need to do the 600 mile service before I take it out again. I'm waiting on service manual to arrive to find out what I need to do and need to get a few parts like oil filter and appropriate oil. I've been busy installing new tires on the XX and doing other maintenance, so this chore got neglected. If I didn't have to work, I'd have it done by Saturday no problem.

So . . . I better temper my enthusiasm, figure out what I need to do, get the stuff and hopefully not have to reschedule. I'll send you a pm a little later from work.

EDIT: Just checked the owners manual and I may be able to get this done tonight or Friday night if I don't go to the gym. Mostly inspection stuff. I need to pick up some more 10-40 oil -- can get at dealer in town. Can probably also get the oil filter here in town. I'll let you know later today about time, place, etc.

MadMike2 up for a Saturday ride?? I know he can't make it on Sunday, but he'd like this ride me thinks.

Figuring that if I get this maintenance done, let's rendezvous at 8:00 am Saturday (8/18**) at the Starbucks on Lincoln in Auburn at the Forest Hill exit off of I-80. The Starbucks is 100 yards west from the Chevron there on the corner of Lincoln and Forest Hill-- same side of street.

FURTHER EDIT: Got oil, '08 oil filter same as '07 and before, but none in stock in Auburn. Therefore, ordered oil filter today, and it is supposed to be here by noon tomorrow (Friday) so I can do that part of the service Friday night. Looks like it's a go for Saturday if'n the filter arrives as scheduled.

**O'Vale's 40th B-Day, BTW.

I would love to join you guys but I'm riding Blue Lakes this Sat with the family. Have fun, take pictures, don't crash but if you do and not hurt ... take more pictures! :rolleyes:

Shit, I woke up this morning thinking about this and remembered something important: I have 650 miles on my bike and need to do the 600 mile service before I take it out again. I'm waiting on service manual to arrive to find out what I need to do and need to get a few parts like oil filter and appropriate oil. I've been busy installing new tires on the XX and doing other maintenance, so this chore got neglected. If I didn't have to work, I'd have it done by Saturday no problem.

So . . . I better temper my enthusiasm, figure out what I need to do, get the stuff and hopefully not have to reschedule. I'll send you a pm a little later from work.

EDIT: Just checked the owners manual and I may be able to get this done tonight or Friday night if I don't go to the gym. Mostly inspection stuff. I need to pick up some more 10-40 oil -- can get at dealer in town. Can probably also get the oil filter here in town. I'll let you know later today about time, place, etc.

MadMike2 up for a Saturday ride?? I know he can't make it on Sunday, but he'd like this ride me thinks.

Figuring that if I get this maintenance done, let's rendezvous at 8:00 am Saturday (8/18**) at the Starbucks on Lincoln in Auburn at the Forest Hill exit off of I-80. The Starbucks is 100 yards west from the Chevron there on the corner of Lincoln and Forest Hill-- same side of street.

FURTHER EDIT: Got oil, '08 oil filter same as '07 and before, but none in stock in Auburn. Therefore, ordered oil filter today, and it is supposed to be here by noon tomorrow (Friday) so I can do that part of the service Friday night. Looks like it's a go for Saturday if'n the filter arrives as scheduled.

**O'Vale's 40th B-Day, BTW.

Not to be a party pooper but I seem to remember from my KLR days that valve clearances were part of the 600 mile checks.... :unsure:

Not to be a party pooper but I seem to remember from my KLR days that valve clearances were part of the 600 mile checks....
:rolleyes: Just checked the owners manuel and first valve check is done at 15,000 miles

Not to be a party pooper but I seem to remember from my KLR days that valve clearances were part of the 600 mile checks.... :unsure:
Don't have the Service Manual yet, but the Owner's Manual doesn't list that as required until the 15,000 mile service. That sounds a lot more reasonable, since absent poorly adjusted valves when new, I can't imagine how the hell they could be out in only 600 miles. With modern adjustment mechanisms (excepting desmodromics) and springs, the usual change that requires inspection and adjustment is that valve clearances tend to get tighter with erosion of the valve seat. That condition usually takes a little time to develop (assuming the conservative seat and valve lapping of a production street machine that may not be the case in a highly tuned race engine).

EDIT: HA!!! Bluestreek beat me to it! So, let's assume 8 am at Starbucks on Saturday unless I don't get a filter tomorrow? If that should happen, I'll let you know.

Double check on the valve adj.. Just about all kawi stuff wants a 600 mile valve ck. When I got mine in 02 it was a requirement and every 6k after that. All that being said, if it is running good it will probably be good and you can check it when you get home. It isn't a hard job to do the check yourself and if it is off then you need shims and you need to pull the cams loose but not all the way out. If you do pull the cams make sure you stuff rags in all the holes cause sometimes the dowel pins in the cam caps like to escape into the crankcase. I have a shim kit if you need shims or if you are real lazy then bring it up here and I will do if for you. :D

Double check on the valve adj.. Just about all kawi stuff wants a 600 mile valve ck. When I got mine in 02 it was a requirement and every 6k after that. All that being said, if it is running good it will probably be good and you can check it when you get home. It isn't a hard job to do the check yourself and if it is off then you need shims and you need to pull the cams loose but not all the way out. If you do pull the cams make sure you stuff rags in all the holes cause sometimes the dowel pins in the cam caps like to escape into the crankcase. I have a shim kit if you need shims or if you are real lazy then bring it up here and I will do if for you. :D
I seem to remember reading somewhere that kawasaki moved the valve check to 15,000 miles for 08 models, because most KLR's didn't need any adjusting until much later.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that kawasaki moved the valve check to 15,000 miles for 08 models, because most KLR's didn't need any adjusting until much later.
I'm inclined to think they must have changed something in the head materials and / or design because they did indeed often need adjustment at 600 miles and frequently thereafter. Mine and a whole lot of others sure did. Regardless, it's a big plus. Lucky yous! :good:

Maybe! I won't know until this evening. I guess you'll know if I'm at Starbucks...........Uhm, we're packing lunch, right?
Yes, packing lunch. As for me, that's mostly just a baggy containing a mixture of raw almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins and dried cranberries to be washed down with water from my Camelback.

Hope you can make it, Mike. All I have to do is actually get the oil filter, which is supposed to come in today by noon. Crossing fingers that I don't have to drive down the hill to get one if it doesn't show up, because the oil and filter are out of it, awaiting the new filter, and then some inspection, tightening and lubrication to finish up.

8 am at Starbucks! :yahoo:

EDIT: 1:00pm Friday -- have oil filter and it checks out against old one as correct. Will complete service tonight after work and see you or yous at 8 am for a fun day of explorin'.

Steve,

...enjoy the new ride. Been watchng this thread knowing that my chances of joining were slim as Kathy and I are trying to get to Oregon for some weekend fun up there. ---and we were able to do it ...leaving later this morning.

So, maybe next time, I can always drop over the hilll and/or we've got some great dirt riding on this side as well. I hope we can do it soon.

Hope you guys all have some dirty fun.

I'm inclined to think they must have changed something in the head materials and / or design because they did indeed often need adjustment at 600 miles and frequently thereafter. Mine and a whole lot of others sure did. Regardless, it's a big plus. Lucky yous!
Ditto, my original gen KLR was very sensitive to valves being in spec and I was sure as heck doing it more than 15000mile intervals. sounds like they did make some changes. About time!!
...renojohn