Anything about the 2008?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVF

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all! Well, there's already so many threads about the best gen/best year FJR that I decided to come at this from a different angle. I'm selling my 2007 because I found a 2008 that's set-up the way I want it - Yamaha top box, progressive springs and an aftermarket shock. Low miles, never down, and seller seems like a great guy. I've also heard that Yamaha really improved the throttle response on the "08 - I have a Throttle Tamer on my '07, so it's not that bad, but why not get better?

My questions are: Is there any reason to pass on an '08? Would you recommend saving up and getting a newer model instead of the '08? Which year and why?

In case it helps, I'm a fan of the sportier aspects of the FJR. TIA!

Black vs Black Cherry (I prefer the '07). Some throttle improvement but got better after that (either bike would benefit with an "Ivan" ECU flash). The '08 might or might not have the updated cam chain tensioner - you should check. '08 ABS was improved (more reliable long term).

I have been very happy with my Gen II FJR(s), but I don't pretend I wouldn't like to have cruise control, electronic suspension, LED lighting, improved instrument display, six-speed transmission - at least some of the time.
Look at the model comparison matrix to see what features were added in which year...

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjr1300-model-comparison-matrix.181562/

Tough call. The only minor downside to your '08 (besides the ugly silver fuel tank trim and wheels:giggle:), is that it is still one of the three years - '06, '07, and '08 that has the very stiff, or hard clutch pull. Fairly easily solved with a clutch salve cylinder from any year other than those three. '08+ ABS is much better than earlier. Also, make sure ground spider recall has been performed, or have it done.

Gen III+ brings a lot to the table. Cruise control. Better looks (imho). MUCH better stock suspension. Much easier to get up onto the centerstand. They are all good, but Gen III+ definitely ups the game in refinement.

I've put over 435k miles on Gen I, 147k miles on my '09 Gen II, and 85k or so miles on various Gen III+. I still love my '09 with all the appropriate and necessary farkles, but I don't think you will ever see me buying a pre-2013 FJR again. Of course, price/value can have a major impact on that decision.

Thanks SkooterG. Great answer, you gave me a lot to think about considering I expect this to be my last FJR purchase! I guess I'll probably be looking for a '13 - '15 because I really don't want a sixth gear - I'm usually in 4th on the freeway as it is unless it's wide open spaces - and I want to keep the cost down, if I can.

Thanks for sharing your experience - that's a lot of riding!!!

Thanks SkooterG. Great answer, you gave me a lot to think about considering I expect this to be my last FJR purchase! I guess I'll probably be looking for a '13 - '15 because I really don't want a sixth gear - I'm usually in 4th on the freeway as it is unless it's wide open spaces - and I want to keep the cost down, if I can.

Thanks for sharing your experience - that's a lot of riding!!!
The '14 and '15 offer electronically adjustable suspension in the "ES" model. The "A" model is regular suspension.