Appropriate to counsel other riders how to dress appropriately?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, last month, I decided to go commando, boots, jean, tank top, and half-helmet. Well, that lasted about 4 days then a woman cutting across three lanes of traffic, left to right, to park, hit me. Never again; full gear or don't ride. I don't think the gear would have saved the shoulder injury, but it would have prevented the road rash. Thankfully, most of the bruises on my leg and ankle are healing. I don't think gear would have helped any more. My left leg was smooshed between bike and car.
Ouch! Sounds like a Rockdude between a motorcycle and a hard place.

Heal fast!
Thanks, still swollen on the leg and ankle .. and just had an MRI done on Wednesday to see what's up with the shoulder ... and I have a lawyer now too ....

I know I'm late on this post but here is my take. I don't dress for the ride, I dress for the fall. It's always kind of funny when I walk into a store in my gear and it's 90 out, the cashiers always say and I quote " aren't you hot in that", then I respond "why yes I am but I have had the privilege of skidding across the pavement at 60+ mph and I like my skin where it is and how it looks". Most of the time I get the obligatory "ya that's true". As far as I'm concerned, if some rider or passenger is wearing the shorts and flip flops they have probably never been down hard or they are attending the school of hard knocks and won't listen anyway (the shut up old man, I won't crash response)

I wear an expensive but frumpy looking Motoport kevlar suit. I've had two 'get offs' and walked away from both without a scratch. In both cases I had to replace the helmet (think about that).

I'm solid in the ATGATT camp.

Having said that I would never offer unsolicited advice to any rider who was not a close friend or family member. I will mention my experience, but I think telling another adult that they are not living their life correctly is not my job.

What I will do is avoid riding with someone who rides 'naked'. I did a number of rides with a local meetup group but ceased participation when it acquired a number of cruiser riders who's protection consisted of a bandana and scowl.

People who ride like that are idiots, and I provide enough of my own idiocy without catching more of it from other idiots.

"Appropriate to counsel other riders how to dress appropriately?"

Whether the question is ATGATT, Brown vs Black Chaps, or Fingered vs Fingerless gloves, I have to agree with John, the answer is no.

It is never appropriate to go up to a stranger and start lecturing them on proper riding attire, never. Do you think they give a rip what you think, good intentions and all? Friends. coworkers, and family, well that is a different story. As others have said, lead by example. When I ride in a group, our normal crew always wear full gear. When someone new comes along, we give brief reasons to wear all gear, and if they ride with us again, they usually show up with more gear. Funny how the "group think" thing works. We may make a snide comment at the tank top, jeans wearing riders to each other, but it is not our business to council. If I do say something to someone I know, I always say this:

Run as fast as you can and drop down on your knees. How do you think this will feel? (the reaction is always, that would hurt). Then I ask how that would feel going 50mph down the road. Usually point taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear an expensive but frumpy looking Motoport kevlar suit. I've had two 'get offs' and walked away from both without a scratch. In both cases I had to replace the helmet (think about that).
I'm solid in the ATGATT camp.

Having said that I would never offer unsolicited advice to any rider who was not a close friend or family member. I will mention my experience, but I think telling another adult that they are not living their life correctly is not my job.

What I will do is avoid riding with someone who rides 'naked'. I did a number of rides with a local meetup group but ceased participation when it acquired a number of cruiser riders who's protection consisted of a bandana and scowl.

People who ride like that are idiots, and I provide enough of my own idiocy without catching more of it from other idiots.
you must be in total agony when the ROT rally is in town LOL