Armed Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This post really stirred the mud. I don't carry period. local & state laws are totally inconsitent and change too often. Just having a hand gun in your pocession without the correct paper will cause more problems than I would ever expect to find on the road. Use good common sense as to where and how you travel and leave the gun at home. Take your cell phone.

I've carried a gun for over 25 years in my work. It's never been drawn.

guns = rednecks = NASCAR...see, simple logic! <G>Mary
Having a rather edacious interest in the sport that is NASCAR, I find that to be a rather splenetical remark and rather contumacious, too! I dare say young lady, comparing rednecks and gun toting bikers to the fine chaps of NASCAR vis a vis, historical stereotyping, is no longer an efficacious correlation. Rather, NASCAR is fast becoming a contradistinction of this phenomenon. Kindly reference any current compendium regarding compensation in the sport and you will be rather surprised.

Now, having said that - Ahem: JUNIOR, JUNIOR, JUNIOR!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFRIGGINHAAAAAAAAAAAAW! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am considering the GLOCK 22C, .40 compensated double action pistol for use in long solo trips, or for HOA meetings.
The one thing I have to figure out yet is how to carry it so that it can be used if needed.

- Horizontal shoulder strap (on the right)

- In the tank bag

- On the handle bar (next to GPS, Cruise control, MP3 player, XM radio, ash tray, etc.)

- Waist holster

- Up the sleeve

- Leg holster (Tactical)

- In the helmet

Some other considerations:

- It has to be accesible to the left hand, not to forfeit control of the throttle.

- It should be able to put it away as quickly as it can be drawn.

- It should be concealable

Any thoughts?
You can carry in the open (unconcealed) in any state. Under the arm, on the belt (like a LEO) or my favorite.... On the thigh in a tactical holster. Hell, you could walk through the mall and there's not a damn thing that could legally be done about it. If it is in the open Its your 2nd amendment right. Just expect to be followed and questioned and maybe asked to leave private property.

I have enough "Toys" that I could put one under each arm, each hip, and one on the thigh. Remember the quickest reload is another gun.

As far as traveling and staying current on which states will recognize my CCP. The NRA online is a great resource to check current laws.

A little paranoia never hurt anybody. The only thing I hope to shoot is paper, but its good to be ready.

[
watkins_shooting2.jpg
BTW, What are you shooting at? :blink: Going for that two mile pistol shot? I'm happy to pull a ring at 100 yards :D

2004088.jpg

Pintle is mounted on a magnetic tank bag.

Shoots better turning left - don't know why...

shooting.gif

these days I'm packin most of the time ,, in the truck ,, or car ,, on the bike always ,, not just around town ,, if I'm going 30 miles or over I carry ,,

and BTW there is no registration of guns in America ,, you have a background check to see if you are a fellon or on the nut house list ,, otherwise it is your right to carry ,, in the Old Dominion you can have a conceal permit (like a fishing lic) if you pass the gun saftey class ,, or show your DD214 ,, and show cause why you need a concealment permit ,, I carry large sums of cash for deposit from my business ,, that sort of thing ,,

when on the road I look up each state that I will cross ,, print out the laws and have them in my tank bag for reference ,, if it is under your control you are good to go ,, but ,, if you are stopped it is a very good idea to tell the LEO you have it ,, if it's on you raise your hands so they can see it ,, if it is concealed in your tank bag ,, tell em 'I am armed" if it is in your hard bag and it is locked (can't use it if it's locked away) you do not have to tell them until they ask ,, and you do not have to produce it unless they have a search warrant for the locked bags ,,

I have never had to use it ,, but the one time you need it ,, is the time you leave it home ,, my handgun of choice is the Tarus Tracker ACP 45 ,, lotta punch ,, and I know a lot of people who are partial to auto's with a bazillion shot clips but if you can't hit somethin in 5 shots ,, you need a shot gun ,,

c303f4ca7d94c903f522d5f7ae9774b00_f.jpg

I am considering the GLOCK 22C, .40 compensated double action pistol for use in long solo trips, or for HOA meetings.
The one thing I have to figure out yet is how to carry it so that it can be used if needed.

- In the tank bag

- On the handle bar (next to GPS, Cruise control, MP3 player, XM radio, ash tray, etc.)

- Waist holster

- Up the sleeve

- Leg holster (Tactical)

- In the helmet

- It has to be accesible to the left hand, not to forfeit control of the throttle.

Any thoughts?
In place of the Glock consider (one of my toys) a Ruger SP101. A 5 shot .357 small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. You could put it in the breast pocket of you riding jacket for easy access but have a CCP. That way you don't leave it on you bike if you get off for a break. If the .357 is to much to control in that small of a package (its about like a .44) you could load with a 38spl or get a moon clip holder and load with 9mm all from the same gun.

It is lightweight and has a transfer safety bar to prevent discharge from dropping (or impact). I reccomend making sure this feature is on whatever you choose (on most modern weapons but not all)

Hey, have any of you guys ever heaard of a Springfield .45 GAP Defender...

That looks like a nice carry piece... but I cant' find any place that actually has one...

Any comments?

Thanks

Mary

Colt Delta Gold Cup .45 enhanced. One stop bullet. A little bulky and not enough ammo in the clip but if your good it only takes one.

As the great Canadian singer songwriter wrote:

"I ride and I shoot and I play guitar

If you try to take one of these from me

you're no friend of mine."

--Bruce Cockburn

20050927_wcb.jpg

Good choice in trucks!! I own one myself... 04 CC 4x4

I have a S&W .40 i plan on carrying with me on the long trips...

Colt Officer's model .45 is pretty good too. I'd love to carry (heck, I'd love to own) an 1873 Colt Peacemaker in .45 long colt.

- In the tank bag

- Waist holster

- Up the sleeve

- Leg holster (Tactical)

- In the helmet

Any thoughts?
Glock 36, compact and easily concealable and chambered in .45ACP, carried on inside jacket pocket. Yeah, I know, it'll only hold (6) rounds, but that why I also carry my Glock 21 in one of my bags.

Never thought about carrying until about (5) years ago, traveling solo on the Bimmer, got hooked-up with a bunch of guys and sitting around the campfire, everyone was comparring their piece. Got me thinking..........

Needless to say, came back home, both wifey and I got our CC permits and we haven't left home without at least one "friend" with us since. BTW, she carries a .38 Special, S&W Airweight.

Since I'm a waiter of my first FJR, I've been lurking, trying to soak up all I can and was considering posting a similar thread............!

Do I carry? I like the sound of that, I feel like more of a man just saying it.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't trying to kill me.

These days ya never know.....so I am usually not far from my new Kahr P9. Nice slim design, 10 rounds. Small enough for most pockets, shirt, jacket. Accurate within about three inches at about 25 yards. Check it out brothas'

Fiveo