Attn Mt Bikers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
I put out a post yesterday about a mt bike I found on craigslist, but, I should have asked this first. I've been toying around with playing in the dirt and not sure if I need full suspension or just hardtail. All I know is that the rigid mt bike I have now is worthless on anything other than a nicely groomed trail. The motorcyclist in me tells me to get as much suspension under you as you can (if I was buying a harley, I wouldn't buy a hardtail), but, the newbie in me tells me that I'm not going to be racing or trying to set the world on fire on double black diamond runs, so, don't waste the extra money.

Most of my riding will be on groomed trails, but, I found some nice trails that are pretty technical (based on my lack of experience) where there is little hardpack, you can't get through without going over logs, over baby heads, through streams, and a couple drop-offs.

The biggest drawback to full suspension is the weight penalty. Unless you plan on doing big air and bombing down obstacle laden trails- a full suspension is not really needed. But this is just my opinion.

Lots on the www - try this:

Google Full Suspension vs Hardtail

Good Luck.

One word of caution...

There are lots of what appear to be GREAT deals on K2/Proflex bikes out there. The ones that use elastomers for suspension. STAY away. While these were the shit in the late 80's early 90's, the elastomers are nearly impossible to get and upgrades are very expensive.

I have a great ProFex that I've had to convert to a stiffy because of this.

How much suspension do you need? Only you can answer that.

One word of caution...
There are lots of what appear to be GREAT deals on K2/Proflex bikes out there. The ones that use elastomers for suspension. STAY away. While these were the shit in the late 80's early 90's, the elastomers are nearly impossible to get and upgrades are very expensive.

The bike I'm looking at has a Fox Float R and Manitou Relic Comp w/125mm travel.

I've had some back issues and my rigid beats the snot out of me.

Most of my time will be spent on my roadie - just looking primarily for a change of scenery and a fun way of cross-training.

One word of caution...

The bike I'm looking at has a Fox Float R and Manitou Relic Comp w/125mm travel.

I've had some back issues and my rigid beats the snot out of me.

Most of my time will be spent on my roadie - just looking primarily for a change of scenery and a fun way of cross-training.
I decided I didn't want to get beat to death so I went full suspension. I normally ride the 17 mile loop at Oak Mountain which has some fun downhill sections. Nothing treacherous though.

I think I'd pay the weight penalty for full suspenders then lose 20 pounds riding the bike then call the deal a win for me.

Either that or ride naked. :blink:

Full!

I ride XC tracks (I live in South FL - ya think?), and I think it is worth a couple of pounds and increased energy needed to pump one.

-BD

As stated before, your suspension needs are totally dependent on the way you plan to ride. If you are going to do serious down-hill, full suspension is the way to go. If you are doing mostly goomed trails as you say you will, I donno if I would spend the extra money. Remember that with a full suspension, some of the energy you put into the pedals ends up going to make the rear suspension go up and down. If you are doing longer distances on roads etc, full suspension can wear you out. Also remember that full suspension or not, your bike shouldn't be beating you up. Just like a dirt bike, during most of the hard riding, your butt should be off the seat and your legs should be absorbing the movement.

I have ridden mountian bikes pretty hard since about 1990 when I got off the road team in college in favor of dirt. I have had only one fully suspended Cannondale and actually didn't like it as much as my hard-tail models. I don't ride as hard or as much as I used to, so I am now on a Trek that is a couple years old, but I like the control I do have with the hard tail.

That Manitou shock is the bomb though.

As stated before, your suspension needs are totally dependent on the way you plan to ride. If you are going to do serious down-hill, full suspension is the way to go. If you are doing mostly goomed trails as you say you will, I donno if I would spend the extra money. Remember that with a full suspension, some of the energy you put into the pedals ends up going to make the rear suspension go up and down. If you are doing longer distances on roads etc, full suspension can wear you out. Also remember that full suspension or not, your bike shouldn't be beating you up. Just like a dirt bike, during most of the hard riding, your butt should be off the seat and your legs should be absorbing the movement.
I have ridden mountian bikes pretty hard since about 1990 when I got off the road team in college in favor of dirt. I have had only one fully suspended Cannondale and actually didn't like it as much as my hard-tail models. I don't ride as hard or as much as I used to, so I am now on a Trek that is a couple years old, but I like the control I do have with the hard tail.
+1 Gunny.

IMHO the added weight of full suspension doesn't add enough advantages over the hardtail to justify the trade off. Also If you stand up and hammer some of your energy is transferred to the rear suspension and not to traction. I would save the money I would spend on the rear for a better front shock and fork. After riding a full hard body, having front suspension is a thing of beauty. What are you looking at?

My son rides often and has several bicycles. I just returned from visiting him in Boulder CO and happened to discussed this. He thinks suspension systems are more trouble than they are worth.

The only thing I can add to full suspension bikes that hasn't been said before is that I've never broken the rear axel on a bike with full suspension......... :S

Gunny on the loss of power when pedalling hard though. I estimated a 25% hit on hard pedalling without clipin pedals. Huge loss, especially on the uphills. Full suspension is great for doing tricks and wheelies though... ^_^

Simple solution here, get a rear shock that locks out. What I have. Lock it out on the straights and up hills. Reach down, flip a switch and release the shock, WHOOOTTTTTTT>........ Lock it back when you get to the bottom. At first it is cumbersome then ya get used to it. Same with the front forks, they lock out as well. You can get the automatic locking ones too. Alll good.

Better to have the rear shock and not need it, then need/want it and not have it. As for the wieght my XC Specialized is about 25 lbs. Really what is weight when you are out there on the trail?

i have back issues also and use a giant trance full suspension mountian bike. it is reasonably light, and has about 4-4.5" travel. i rode it 100 miles a week, to lose weight. (300lbs+ down to 215) with an average speed of 14mph. i rode with some triathlon guys for a 30 miler and almost died. heart rate at 170-180 hoofing that thing trying to maintain 18-20mph the tri guys werent hardly pedaling.

i bought a softride tri bike and my biggest accomplishment is having done 70 miles in 4 hours with rest stops.for summer and clean road riding i like it alot but this time of year the mountain bike comes out in preparation for the coming snow and ice. i use studded tires when it gets real bad. if i had to sell one or the other i dont know which i would give up.

i bought my fjr in may and have gotten up to 245 pounds from not biking........ i wonder if i can get studded tires for the fjr????

best wishes, tbwrench.