Audiovox touchpad mount options?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
I was recently able to obtain one of the few remaining available Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control kits through murphskits.com. At the same time I ordered it, I also placed an order w/ Skyway for a left side mount for the touchpad. I was aware of some of the history re: Ian/Skyway and his not coming through w/ some of his products so I searched the forum and found that someone had had no problem w/ obtaining a mount from Ian/Skyway 5 months ago (which was after some of the previously documented problems w/ Ian/Skyway) so I placed my order, figuring that I could possibly work through my credit card company to stop/rescind payment if the item wasn't received. Naive, perhaps, but I hadn't seen a mount I liked as much so was willing to gamble. Well, 3 weeks later, no mount and no response to an e-mail. A call to the phone # listed on the Skyway site informed me that the number has been disconnected/is no longer in service. Not promising, I thought!

So, a couple of questions:

1) Are the Skyway mounts gone for good or available through other sources?

2) What other alternative mounts exist? The more info the better - e.g., site addresses/links, pictures, etc.

Thanks, Mike

Sorry to hear about the problem. I had no issues with my order from Skyway. Their are many other ways guys have mounted it, and I'm sure they will be chiming in soon.

Sorry to hear about the problem. I had no issues with my order from Skyway. Their are many other ways guys have mounted it, and I'm sure they will be chiming in soon.
Funny you should be the 1st responder! It was your post on July 13th that gave me some confidence that the mounts were still available without the hassle that others were experiencing w/ other Skyway products. But, 5 months is a long time. I should have tried to contact Ian before placing my order but I wanted to pounce on any available mounts as I assumed that people rushing to grab up one of the remaining Audiovox cruise controls would be doing the same w/ touchpad mounts.

I used this mount: https://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_...;products_id=72

It's cheaper and I like the positioning better. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb as much as the skyway mount. Some people say that the skyway mount makes the pad easier to reach, but I've never had problems reaching the buttons with this mount. My only slight complaint about it is that the pad seems to be angled downward a bit when viewing it from a riding position. The bracket is thin enough that I plan on just adjusting the bend to my liking sometime when I get around to it.

cockpit_view_day_on.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I stuck mine on the top of the upper fairing panel. I can work it without looking, but I do have to let go of the handlebars. So far I haven't died from that, nor have any body parts fallen off.

With heavy cold-weather gloves I have to look at it, but that's only a few times down here. B)

Finished.jpg

I had the same mount as Pickles. And I did bend the bracket to angle the keypad up for better viewing from the cockpit.

Like so:

2046471200098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

It was a very simple bracket that could be fabbed up by just about anyone with a few hand tools in hardly any time at all. Then just pick up a 10mm cap screw at the local hardware store to bolt it onto the mirror bracket.

The touchpad is just a momentary switch and an on/off switch. Swap them out for some waterproof micro switches and mount them in the grip housing ala Brundog:

fjr.jpg

EDIT: Ignore the red/green boxes, you can see the switches on the right of them.

I had the same mount as Pickles. And I did bend the bracket to angle the keypad up for better viewing from the cockpit.
Like so:

2046471200098858932S600x600Q85.jpg
Fred, at least you didn't use a wheel lug bolt to attach yours like AirBoxBoy did:

cockpit_view_day_on.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I prolly would have used whatever 10mm bolt I had laying around like airboxboy. But when I got the bracket from Murph's it came with the nifty allen head deal.

I've since removed my AVCC and sold it off, including the bracket and nifty screw, so someone else's bike now sports that. Now I need to find something cool to do with the empty 10mm screw hole. I'll probably end up stuffing a Ram ball in it. You can never have too many of those things... :blink:

I prolly would have used whatever 10mm bolt I had laying around like airboxboy. But when I got the bracket from Murph's it came with the nifty allen head deal.
I've since removed my AVCC and sold it off, including the bracket and nifty screw, so someone else's bike now sports that. Now I need to find something cool to do with the empty 10mm screw hole. I'll probably end up stuffing a Ram ball in it. You can never have too many of those things... :blink:
no no no Fred :unsure:

stick one of these in the hole while riding :yahoo:

priceless :clapping:

77567-02865_lg.jpg

no no no Fred :unsure:

stick one of these in the hole while riding :yahoo:

priceless :clapping:

77567-02865_lg.jpg
Shit, Mike, I'm surprised YOU didn't suggest he stick one of THESE there:

stebel_horn2.jpg
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Forum member smitty141, renowned for his skill installing the Audiovox units, used to offer a bracket for the touchpad as an option during his installs. He might be able to hook you up.

Fred, at least you didn't use a wheel lug bolt to attach yours like AirBoxBoy did:

I also used the bolt that came with the bracket from Murph's. Must have changed suppliers at some point to save $0.00007 per kit. Maybe I'll look for something nicer next time I'm at the hardware store, now that you've made me all self-conscious about my bolt.

HA ha... UP has bolt envy! :p

And just to set the record straight, WickedWebby is the original AirBoxBoy (ABB).

Technically speaking UselessPickles should be known as ABBA (AirBoxBoy Again). ;)

Not to be confused with:

abba.jpg

Oh man, looking at my own picture above, those two Swedish chicks were pretty hot.

But what the hell was up wit those two dudes? :blink:

The guy on the left looks a lot like a character Dana Carvy would do.

I was recently able to obtain one of the few remaining available Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control kits through murphskits.com. <snip>
Has anyone mounted one of the new electronic units from Rostra mentioned here?

https://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_...products_id=369

Looks to be better (on paper) than the CCS-100 as no vac canister and comes off the electronic speed sensor.

Just curious; I have a CCS-100 not yet installed...

Rostra kit seems pricy compared to the Audiovox, but if there ain't no Audiovoxes out there any more that may be moot.

My main reply, though, is that the Audiovox can read the electronic speed wire on most of its applications, but it can't read the FJR's. The bike has too many pulses, it's out of range of what the Audiovox brain can keep up with. I'm wondering if the same applies to the Rostra, or if you just feed it the tach signal instead.

Well, reading the guy's notes on the Gold Wing, he says Rostra told him you can't use tach-only for the unit, but it also seems it has a pretty good number of adjustments for what its expected of the ppm from the speed sensor. Maybe it's OK. I don't know. I'd like to hear from someone who tries it, though. Or from someone who'd bring their bike here with a Rostra and let me try it on theirs. :ph34r: