Auto retract don’t work all the time

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the old girl is getting old. My 2005 windshield almost never auto retracts. I found out the hard way that the auto retract is supposed to keep the sun from melting the plastic on the instrument panel when the windshield is extended. It must act like a magnifying glass when the angle is just right.  Now, I always lower the windshield when I park in the sun.  I also put a rag over the instrument panel in those circumstances.  Hope this helps, WBill

I haven't heard about this Gen I feature for a long time but it was a big subject here some years ago.  Most folks disliked it and most disabled it--a simple process.

I love being able to adjust my screen, but one position I pretty much never have it in, except on the hottest days, is fully down.  I tended to want it wherever I left it at the end of my last ride most all the time.  Think about disabling it.  If you want to know how, I'm sure somebody here could drag it up from their memory banks.

I can see staintune that you've been a member here for quite some time, albeit a quiet one, so I'm sure you've read a thread or two about how many of us wanted to disable that annoying auto retract.  Gen 3s and newer no longer have that feature.  However you have had your bike for a while and so maybe you like it.

There is a connector behind the front panels, maybe it's loose or dirty.  After so many years there can be a lot of crud build-up behind that front cowling.  Not being all that electrically gifted, that's just my best guess.  Good luck.