Intermittent Brake Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBrew

Reaction score
2005 FJR with ABS and my brake lights work when they want; sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. I switched out bulbs and fuse, although all appear to be fine.

Any thoughts?

Bulbs and fuse are helpful, but I'd try diagnosing the issue more. Of course the brake or bike don't have feelings or a mind of their own. ;)

Do they work (or not work) when you press the rear brake pedal? Do they work (or not work) when you press the front brake lever? How far do you have to press them before they turn on? Do they come on solidly or flicker any? Do you have continuity and full bike voltage (e.g. 12.5+ volts) on the circuits when you had the bulbs out?

Several possible issues including sketchy contact switch (I think I remember the front being more likely to crud up). And one might spray contact cleaner in and see if that helps.

Did you change anything recently on the cycle? Year of bike and check pinned threads for recall of some?

Last edited:
Then check the socket itself where the wire enters. I had one with a broken conductor inside the insulation right at the connector. Looked like the connector may have been over-crimped. I carefully stripped and tinned the remaining wire before soldering it to the connector. Working so far.

Brake light switch(es)? There was a recall, I know because I got a letter from Yamaha for my 3rd gen, don't remember others involved.

There are 2 brake light switches. Typically Front under master cylinder and rear above pedal pivot. If always using both to stop then check for bad wire at socket , maybe ground wire. Or if these bikes have brake relay , thats also possible. I am sorta new to FJR

2005 FJR with ABS and my brake lights work when they want; sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. I switched out bulbs and fuse, although all appear to be fine.

Any thoughts?
The vast majority out intermitante electric problems are found surf issues.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say English is probably not your mother tongue. What exactly do you mean by "surf issues"?