ABS rear brakes engaging

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the opposite problem on my 2008AE. Apparently I rested my foot on the brake. Felt the bike be slightly sluggish but not significantly and the brakes overheated, I came to a stop sign but after stopping they totally let go, front and rear. After cooling down they came back but I still had it towed. Shop said there was no damage and they could not replicate the brakes letting go. They changed the fluid and everything seems fine.
What was weird is that my front brake also let go - the shop said the front and rear share the ABS module so the heat transferred. Hmmmmm.... I wish there was a separate system for an emergency brake or the systems were totally separate.
I'm not a mechanic in any sense but still have opinions:
I think the air in brake lines idea makes a lot of sense. When you stop because of the lockup do you shut off the engine? Or do you let it keep running while you wait for the brakes to release? Will it stay engaged if the engine stays hot?
Where are there valves in the system? My other thought is a valve stuck so that it is a one way valve. Bike motion and heat cause the fluid to flow one way but can't release in the other direction so pressure would build up slowly with motion. That would be the valve that creates pressure when you press the pedal.

I had the opposite problem on my 2008AE. Apparently I rested my foot on the brake. Felt the bike be slightly sluggish but not significantly and the brakes overheated, I came to a stop sign but after stopping they totally let go, front and rear. After cooling down they came back but I still had it towed. Shop said there was no damage and they could not replicate the brakes letting go. They changed the fluid and everything seems fine.
What was weird is that my front brake also let go - the shop said the front and rear share the ABS module so the heat transferred. Hmmmmm.... I wish there was a separate system for an emergency brake or the systems were totally separate.
I'm not a mechanic in any sense but still have opinions:
I think the air in brake lines idea makes a lot of sense. When you stop because of the lockup do you shut off the engine? Or do you let it keep running while you wait for the brakes to release? Will it stay engaged if the engine stays hot?
Where are there valves in the system? My other thought is a valve stuck so that it is a one way valve. Bike motion and heat cause the fluid to flow one way but can't release in the other direction so pressure would build up slowly with motion. That would be the valve that creates pressure when you press the pedal.
We may never know. The OP has been back several times and not given any update. Doesn't seem inclined to help others. :(

I have a 2007 FJR with 115000 miles. My rear brakes slowly start to engage while riding without pressing the brakes. Ran it through multiple times of test of the ABS PUMP in diagnostic mode and bled the brakes multiple times. Yet once you start down the road it slowly engages. Either release the pressure at the rear caliper brake line or pump the rear brake hard for it to release. And there is no ABS light on. Is there a way to just turn off the abs or remove it. Is there anyway to diagnose if it is the pump, a relay or anything else? A new pump is $2k. about half the price of what the bike is worth. The 2006 and 2007 share the same part number and price, yet the 2008 is a diferent part number and is less expensive and also used ones are available. And are they repairable, if that is the issue? I have a mechanic that is stumped. Pulled the rear brake master cylinder and it is fine, checked the rear brake caliper and it is good, bothe received new seals about 9 months ago with no issues. Any help would be appreciated.

You have 2 threads going asking for help with the same problem. You received help from a half dozen guys here and no response. How about you post the solution so that you may help others with the same problem?