Autocom/Zumo/Kenwood install photos

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice write-up and pics.

I've been using a Motorola Talkabout radio (GMRS) which fits in the glovebox...along with the cell phone, but I've considered going CB.

Thanks for the insights.

Two things that I forgot to note but are very important. First when using a cell phone and a two way radio with the Active Plus there is a problem because the cell phone system mutes audio input by 50% for 10 seconds after rider or passenger speach so the voice of the person that I am talking to is muted beyond hearing for 10 seconds after I speak. The cure for this is to turn off the auto mute function and you can do this by removing a resistor (64) which Autocom will do for you for $25 and maintain your warranty. Since this is a very tight and well made surface mount board I would not think that many people could do it themsevles without current experience and I don't think that Autocom will give out the schematic anymore either. However it works great when done.

Second is that there is a serious interference from unisolated grounds between multiple power supplies connected by audio cables that can be fixed buy buying Autocom's $90 ground loop isolater cables or what I did which was to use a $12 unit from Crutchfield on the AUX1 output to the Zumo and using the cables that came in the Autocom kit-200 package.

I ran this setup on my ST1300 and it works great. I am really glad to have it installed on my fjr.

Here are the headset tear down and install photos from last year on an RF1000 Shoei.

https://www.goldwingusa.com/autocom/headset.htm

What's your range like with the antenna covered and horizontal?

Our tested range with the same installation in the VFR and the FJR is about 1 to 2 miles depending on geography, that's plenty for us. We are reasonably static free and using 100% VOX and it does work just fine, we have 8,000 miles experience with it.

I personally like having my Autocom mute other devices while the primary device is activated. However, I have not noticed the 10 sec. lag time. I believe mine is about a 3 sec. lag time. Hmmm? I'm using the Autocom Super Pro AVI. Could there be a difference between ours?

On another note: I'm rather suprised that you're only getting 1-2 miles of reception with your Kenwood. My motorola Talkabout gives me that for a fraction of the cost. I imagine your Kenwood is MUCH clearer, but I really don't have any complaints with mine; and it too is full VOX. As a note, I believe your Kenwood can plug into the M/C battery; however, my talkabout ONLY uses 3 AAA's. Therefore, for the extended week trips I'd need to bring extra batteries.

Thanks again for the write-up.

I personally like having my Autocom mute other devices while the primary device is activated. However, I have not noticed the 10 sec. lag time. I believe mine is about a 3 sec. lag time. Hmmm? I'm using the Autocom Super Pro AVI. Could there be a difference between ours?

On another note: I'm rather suprised that you're only getting 1-2 miles of reception with your Kenwood. My motorola Talkabout gives me that for a fraction of the cost. I imagine your Kenwood is MUCH clearer, but I really don't have any complaints with mine; and it too is full VOX. As a note, I believe your Kenwood can plug into the M/C battery; however, my talkabout ONLY uses 3 AAA's. Therefore, for the extended week trips I'd need to bring extra batteries.

I believe that the mute problem only exists on the Active Plus unit. As for range I can tell you that I have never been farther than 1 or 2 miles from my wife to know the real max distance so I think that I worded that incorrectly.

The benefits that I found with the Kenwood (I tried a few others first) are the speed that it switches from talk to receive is great on VOX, the ability to hardwire to the battery and mostly I found that every other radio that I tried would broadcast a static burst on key off that was really unpleasant for the receiving party. I was lucky and got a good deal on the Kenwoods on ebay too.

I believe that the mute problem only exists on the Active Plus unit. As for range I can tell you that I have never been farther than 1 or 2 miles from my wife to know the real max distance so I think that I worded that incorrectly.

The benefits that I found with the Kenwood (I tried a few others first) are the speed that it switches from talk to receive is great on VOX, the ability to hardwire to the battery and mostly I found that every other radio that I tried would broadcast a static burst on key off that was really unpleasant for the receiving party. I was lucky and got a good deal on the Kenwoods on ebay too.
Mr. Hughes,

Thank you again for your insights. I will look into the Kenwood radio.

Keep the sunnyside up!