back from Iraq

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR1300

Reaction score
Hi all, got back from Iraq last week and been on the prowl for a nice Gen II. Just struck a deal on a 2007 AE (5300 miles) for a great price, also has a bunch of farkles included. I'm not real familiar with the eletronic shift but from what I've read it becomes second nature after time. If anyone has any issues that you think I should know about in regards to the AE or Gen II, please let me know. Hope to see you all out on the roads real soon!

Dan

Can't help you with the AE, but I do want to welcome you home and thank you for serving. Congrats on the bike.

Yes, thank you and welcome back! I have an AE and have grown quite used to it. I also switch back and forth between a old-fashioned clutch bike with no problems, so don't worry about losing that skill.

Use your rear brake when doing low speed stuff.

Hi all, got back from Iraq last week and been on the prowl for a nice Gen II. Just struck a deal on a 2007 AE (5300 miles) for a great price, also has a bunch of farkles included. I'm not real familiar with the eletronic shift but from what I've read it becomes second nature after time. If anyone has any issues that you think I should know about in regards to the AE or Gen II, please let me know. Hope to see you all out on the roads real soon!
Dan
Yeah, get off of the computer and go ride for cryin' out loud! I think I'll take my own advice... see you out there!

Almost forgot... Congrats!!!

Still no luck on helping out with the AE... me no not!!

But, there are a lot of folks on this forum that certainly appreciate you and all the courageous men and women that do what they do to make sure we can continue to do what we do. And, for us it's riding throughout these United States with bugs in our teeth, and the wind on our face, and freedom in our spirit....

I sincerely thank you for your service to all of us!! Welcome home, and to this forum! :yahoo: Say, you ever hear of a DOGPILE If ever there was a need for a dogpile for a worthy cause this is it. Me thinks you are going to find out what is is to have a proper welcome home. :clapping:

Brian = Manwhoride = Manwhore

Last edited by a moderator:
As the others have mentioned, welcome home.

I was in the market for an FJR, never much considered the AE model. But found a new 08AE priced right and pulled the trigger. Although it only has a few hundred miles on it, I have no regrets to date.

The adjustment from a clutch to the AE is a quick one. At first I put a lot of thought into shift-no clutch, shift no-clutch. On day 2 my left fingers wandered off the grips a few times but since then the shift process is programed into muscle memory.

Low RPM (say 3000 rpm) shifting is butter smooth without any adjustment to the throttle. A throttle blip at higher rpm (say 4500 rpm) keeps the rpm from spiking up during the shift. I should add, I'm still very much in break in phase, so "I" consider 4500 rpm high on the scale.

Now my only issue with the my AE is farkle order of priority, and it's sounds like you have a head start in that department.

Congrats, Welcome from another Noob, and Enjoy!

Congrats on the Bike and Welcome Home from a US Navy Vet. You are going to fall in love with the AE in no time. Just like the rest of us. :yahoo:

Now Shut the computer off and GO RIDE!!! :clapping:

Thanks all!

It's gonna come with GIVI trunk V46, Fork clamp, Frame sliders, Highway pegs, Headlight covers, New rear tire, Heated grips and 2 windshields: stock & Cee Bailey oversize. Now I'll just have to get the Garmin 550 hooked up. 'Bout the only thing this bike wont have that my 05 had is a Russell Daylong and risers. I'm hoping that the stock adjustable seat will do me justice for a while. Should be picking it up on Saturday!!! Can anyone identify an absolute must have farkle that isn't listed?

Aren't the bars on the Gen II's adjustable? as far as angling them out farther?

Thanks all!
It's gonna come with GIVI trunk V46, Fork clamp, Frame sliders, Highway pegs, Headlight covers, New rear tire, Heated grips and 2 windshields: stock & Cee Bailey oversize. Now I'll just have to get the Garmin 550 hooked up. 'Bout the only thing this bike wont have that my 05 had is a Russell Daylong and risers. I'm hoping that the stock adjustable seat will do me justice for a while. Should be picking it up on Saturday!!! Can anyone identify an absolute must have farkle that isn't listed?

Aren't the bars on the Gen II's adjustable? as far as angling them out farther?
Not sure about a "Must Have" Farkle. That's pretty much up to you. If you widen the handle bar stance, you will be farther away and leaning forward more.

Something to consider.

Must have farkle: Helibars

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of veterans here. I served in the Navy and have moved on to civilian life. Welcome home! Let your brothers in arms be the pointy end of the spear for a while and enjoy riding the new bike.

Welcome back, glad to hear you made it home safe! I myself got home on August 21st after a 15 month tour with 4th INF (Army)
We fell under 4th INF Div for a brief time until 1st Cav took over. Heck we changed support units so many times, not sure if there wasn't another unit inbetween them.

Welcome home and congrats on the bike. I purchased my on return home from Uganda. People are going to wonder what you're smilin' about all the time. See you on the forum. MSgt, USAF