Back in the fold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackStar

Reaction score
I had a stupid attack last summer and traded my 08 for a BMW R1200R. The boxer engine sucked me in. Now that I realize the BMW wont cut it on long trips without significant investment in equipment, and now, no local dealer, I traded it on a new 10 FJR. My wife is ready to shoot me. The BMW is a hoot for short trips, but is a little punishing on the interstate. Pick up the new one Thursday. I looked at other ST bikes, but decided to go back to the FJR, known performance and certified cruise missile. I can't wait to get back in that familiar saddle.

I had a stupid attack last summer and traded my 08 for a BMW R1200R. The boxer engine sucked me in. Now that I realize the BMW wont cut it on long trips without significant investment in equipment, and now, no local dealer, I traded it on a new 10 FJR. My wife is ready to shoot me. The BMW is a hoot for short trips, but is a little punishing on the interstate. Pick up the new one Thursday. I looked at other ST bikes, but decided to go back to the FJR, known performance and certified cruise missile. I can't wait to get back in that familiar saddle.
Myself owning several BMW's the biggest problem with the brand is lack of dealer network and high cost of owning and feeding them as far as service cost. I didn't see a problem going down the interstate at any speed and cruised all my Beemers as fast or faster than my FJR. But the 1200R is not the model to replace an FJR you are not comparing apples to apples. You know the old saying "you don't know what you have until it is gone" :yahoo:

Welcome back - my riding buddy has a R1200R, and every so often he wants to ride my FJR, so we trade bikes for a little bit. I really like the fun factor of the naked BMW, but after 50 miles or so I am more than ready to hop back on my FJR. You won't regret going back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations from Florida on the new bike. Hope the new Feej impresses the wife enough to get you out of the doghouse.

Gary

darksider #44

Well that was stupid. Glad you finally got your brains back. I don't get the 'sucked in by the twin engine'. Sure it's a fun engine in a way, but compared to the FJR's smoothness and power it seems kind of like a tractor motor.

Isnt the R1200R the Police bike model?? dr
Eh? Hell no. It's the naked version of their boxer line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always had a hankering for a BMW but never lived close to a dealer. Nearest one now is over 100 miles away. I've ridden a few but can't see how they would be that much better than a FJR or similar bikes for the price.

A buddy of mine just road his LT from Salt Lake to Waco and back. Iron butt, no doubt. :eek: